New Garmin Color Gps Units-memory Hog?

dzdiver

I am looking to purchase the new Garmin map76C when it is released. I am hoping that since the 60c has been released, maybe some of you can answer this question. How much more memory does the color operating system and 256 color display use than the older models? The new Map76c has 115 MB of memory. The old map 76 has 8 MB of memory. Does the Map 76C have 107 MB more of memory or is some/most of that used up by the color display system? I would imagine that the color operating system and color display will use some of that extra memory, so how much more memory am I actually gaining for map storage? Can anyone quantify how many of the city select or topo maps I would be able to load into memory at once? For instance, can I download all of city select California into memory on the new model? Thanks!

The memory listed is what's available to you for storing your maps.

My 60C has 56mb listed as it's 'memory' so I can put up to that amt of memory in maps onto the machine.

As I haven't yet tried to download all of California into my GPSr (no need) I don't know how much memory it would take. Someone who lives there might be able to tell you the space needed for the entire state.

(edited to correct that SMALL finger slippage - k and m are rather close, you know)

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

The 60C has 56 meg of memory and it is all for maps.Before I had a e-map with 16 meg memory and could get less than a third of the state of ohio,with the 60 c I have more than the entire state and that inclunes the auto-routing info

Edited by Jacksons

Keep in mind that the amount of memory typically stated in the specs is what is available for maps. This does not include waypoint memory or firmware memory.

For instance the 60C has 56 meg available for maps, and holds up to 1,000 waypoints, 10,000 track points and 50 routes. Having less maps does not give you the ability to store more waypoints, and vice versa. I don't know for sure, but I would bet it has a 64 meg memory chip in it. The firmware is less than 3 megs, and the waypoints, track points and routes fit in the remaining 5 megs.

The absolute worst case scenario is that the 256-color GPSr will take 4 times more memory than a 4-level gray GPSr (8-bits vs. 2-bits). So at the worst a 115 MB 76CS will hold the equivalent of 28 MB in a 76S. I doubt it is any less efficient in storing routing information so for that the memory relationship is most likely 1:1.

Just a thought.

I'm reading your question as asking if color maps will take up more memory in a color GPS than gray-scale maps in a gray-scale GPS. If this is what you are asking, then the answer is no. The maps transferred to a gray-scale GPS use the same amount of memory as in a color GPS. That amount is displayed in MapSource as you select maps...it doesn't matter if the GPS's display is color or gray-scale.

Rubberhead,

the maps used in the Garmin units are vector maps, not color maps. The color is not in the maps. The maps contain hints, for example here is water, here are woods, this road is a freeway etc.

Its then up to the unit to make use of the hints and display them. A greyscale could display the woods hatched, a color unit would just show them in green.

Thus color couldn't be left out in older maps for grayscale units, because the color was never in there.

What does make a difference in memory is the additional information in the maps needed for street level routing. I'd say it inflates the maps by ca. 80%. This is not a problem for units without street level routing, because in MapSource you can choose to leave this information out when transferring to the unit.