Logging A Virtual Visited Pre Geocahing Days

I found out there is a virtual cache just down the road from where I used to live so obviously know the answer. I know I could log it and no one would be the wiser but was wondering what other cachers views on the ethics of doing that are? If I took the view that geocaching brings you to places that you normally would not go to (it is an interesting sight) then I have been there but that was well before I started geocaching. If I went back (which would not be easy as it's in a different country) would probably drive right by just to log it.

Have any other cachers done that or have you revisited the place to log it?

It would be poor form to log a cache this way. Many virtuals even say "No old vacation pictures" when the proof of visiting the cache is a picture.

There is a collection/series of 12 statues placed across the USA. Each one is a virtual cache. We went to downtown Albuquerque (where we live) and logged one there. My wife recognized the statue right away. There is another one near her hometown. We made a point to visit it on our next trip out there. Why don't you do the same with the virtual you asked about?

I agree with Team GPS. It wouldn't be in the spirit of the thing to log it if you haven't been there specifically to do the cache. I once took some photos of a suspension bridge on my way back from a traditional cache. When I got home I remembered that there's a locationless cache for suspension bridges, and at the time that particular bridge hadn't been logged. I could easily have put my GPSr in the photo using Photoshop, or just submitted the photo without the GPSr, and quite possibly the omission wouldn't have been noticed. But I didn't log it. I didn't feel that in any real sense I'd actually done that cache.

I'm kind of in agreement with the last 2 posts but remember, there is no official competition so do what ever you thinks right. Imagine going on holiday to somewhere thousands of miles away, spending a whole day checking out an amazing sight, then seeing a virtual for it appear 2 months later that you had spent a couple of hours standing right next too :D

i reckon the whole idea and real enjoyment of virts is the getting off your a** and going to find them GPS and camera in hand - off topic - i honestly look forward to there return perhaps with a few more Britain only ideas - no offence to the rest of the world but there are plenty of US only ones which I doubt I'll ever log!

however .... i must confess to completing a local mutli cache without going to several of the clue sites. we'd been to the clue sites so many times in the past that we'd planned to set up a multi there ourselves and got beaten to it. we still had all the pictures of various "things with numbers on them" so was able to load up the pictures and get the clues that way. I know, devious and under handed, i hang me head in shame and take sole blame for my actions, the misses had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Caching is ultimately a game/sport (whichever way you want to see it!!) so if you did log it without going back then you would only be cheating yourself and no-one else!

This isn't a race and there are no winners or losers (well for some of us :unsure: ) so it depends on whether you can live with the knowledge that you really didn't actually go and do it when you log it! :lol:

Sarah x

I agree with all of these comments the whole aim is to find the cache.

When I was in Saudi there was guy who claimed to find a cache because he got near to it :unsure: . I did not agree and a furious battle started on the forum for the middle east.

Jim

I had someone log one of my caches like that. He was new, so I let it go with just an email explaining the need to sign the logbook.

I was introduced to caching in the United States (on a business trip) and we did two caches that day. Six months later I bought my own GPS and signed up. I have never logged those two caches because they happened before I really got into the sport. My name is on the logbook, but not my Geocaching name. One day I may go back and do them again - then I will log them.

Yorkstan