Cacheflorida.com

Doombot!

:D As much as I hate to report this I recieved an email from Infosponge and his statement to me was that he was shutting the site down. His statement to Doc Dean was that it was due to all the recent negativity. I have expressed to him my great sense of loss over that decision but it is his website and that is his decision.

At the risk of appearing to be a bad guy here which I am sure that is the way this will come across, I am inviting anyone who wishes to visit us at nefga , we in no way have all the features that cacheflorida has to offer but we do have a set of forums to post to if anyone is interested. hopefully in the future InfoSponge will decide to bring cacheflorida back up.

I'm going through major withdrawal here PLUS I'm feeling totally clueless. I had no idea that we were causing Infosponge grief or that the site was becoming a burden. :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry, Infosponge. I really REALLY appreciate all of your hard work - your site made such a big contribution to Florida caching!

Come back to us, please!

I'm going through major withdrawal here PLUS I'm feeling totally clueless. I had no idea that we were causing Infosponge grief or that the site was becoming a burden. :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry, Infosponge. I really REALLY appreciate all of your hard work - your site made such a big contribution to Florida caching!

Come back to us, please!

Ok i for one will second that! I am by no means techno savy at ALL but would be willing to do what ever i could to see the site come back up.

Ob

I guess I would suggest joining NEFGA.com.

Ok at the risk of being nit picky, i am about as FAR from the north east as you can get, and granted i havent taken a close look at the site, but does it have anything to offer to cachers in other part of the state?

Ob

Hi objets, we were in no way anticipating this happening so no at this point we don't have alot to offer outside of a basic website, we do have a chat room, we have links to most of the geocaching sites and we have a set of forums for anyone who wants to take advantage of at this point. we do have a small scale stats area similiar to Keenepeople, where you can manualy enter your numbers so you can see where you and others are. we have a daily featured cache but it is only for the northeast. Our webmaster does a great job but as I said in opening we never anticipated being the only web page in Florida. we too are hoping cooler heads will prevail and Infosponge will bring Cacheflorida back up until then if you would like to visit us here is the link.http://nefga.com]NEFGA[/url]

That is really disappointing. I am a new GPS user, and I really enjoyed cacheflorida. At the risk of sounding clueless, does anyone know what "negativity" is being referred to.

I have looked at NEFGA, and they are certainly a possible alternative to cacheflorida.

I have the ability to support forums on GPS101.net. I specifically refrained from enabling the forums because I thought that Cacheflorida and Groundspeak already had this area very well covered. Given the latest news, I would be willing to contribute my website for hosting some forums.

Cheers,

Niel

GPS101.net

Well this isn't good!! I too have emailed infosponge, but have not had a reply back yet. Any idea what the negativity was? I know there were quite a few questions with the database changes, but I never saw any posts that I thought were negative...

Chris

The loss of CacheFlorida.com is a big loss to the state. It is my hope that Infosponge will see all the love and support here and also posted on a similar thread on NEFGA's Boards and it will warm his heart and he'll reconsider.

Until then, I, like the rest of you are suffering major withdrawal pains...

Thanks to The Federation and NEFGA for offering to take in us orphans! :rolleyes:

Edited by Doc-Dean

It's a real shame that a few peoples negativitys had to spoil a good thing for the majority. I would just like to thank Infosponge for the wonderful job he had done on the CacheFlorida site. Not to mention all the time and effort involved. I know how I feel about my one small cache, even though it's little I still take pride in it. I fell sure that Info took pride,, as well he should have, in CacheFlorida. I too would have been upset with the way things were going in the forums because I'm sure Info made CacheFlorida for the enjoyment of his fellow cachers. Basicly what I'm saying is that if you can't say something nice than don't say it at all. Anyway if you ever decide to run the site again hopefully the few people will learn to play nice. After all it's just a game.

Plan to go caching to get some relief!  :unsure:

That's probably good advice for all involved. If you're taking the game so seriously that someone expressing a different opinion is percieved as some kind of punishable offense, then you need to spend less time talking/thinking and more time enjoying geocaching.

I've gained a lot more respect for Jeremy and his armadillo-like ability to continue to do geocaching.com despite what must be some pretty persistent reasons not to.

That's probably good advice for all involved.  If you're taking the game so seriously that someone expressing a different opinion is percieved as some kind of punishable offense, then you need to spend less time talking/thinking and more time enjoying geocaching.

I've gained a lot more respect for Jeremy and his armadillo-like ability to continue to do geocaching.com despite what must be some pretty persistent reasons not to.

Unfortunately because of life's intrusions - work, family, etc... there is not always time for geocaching... The cacheflorida.com website provided a base-camp of sorts for all cachers to meet up and discuss things.

I'm sorry that you were threatened, and I agree that is absolutely and completely unacceptable.

I hope that you are reading about the impact that you and your work on the website had on the majority of people and not allow one or two a**es make you feel its not worth it...

I think that Jeremy has very thick skin for this sort of nonsense because that is the only way to deal with it... Ignore it and keep doing what you feel is right.

I can't tell you how to feel or what decisions are the correct ones for you, that is for you and your family. I do humbly request that you at least read through all the commments here and on the NEGFA forum, sit down with your wife and consider all your options and make the decision that best suits you and your family. I will respect whatever you decide and then let go of this issue and move on in whatever direction becomes available.

Please feel free to contact me directly or publically if you wish to discuss any of this further...

Plan to go caching to get some relief!  ;)

That's probably good advice for all involved. If you're taking the game so seriously that someone expressing a different opinion is percieved as some kind of punishable offense, then you need to spend less time talking/thinking and more time enjoying geocaching.

Ok you dont know how good something is until its taken away. I dont have the brains to run a web site like Cacheflorida, and i miss it alot. Thanks for having it there for the time it was...

Objets

Just wanted to express my thanks for all the work you had done on the website Infosponge.

Please take some time to enjoy the fun for yourself. Come on down to Miami and find a few of mine and Dudeface's caches. Don't sweat the small stuff, someone who is skilled and has desire will pick it up, I'm sure.

Thanks again for everything!

Is a Florida Cache site really needed? What would you want out of it?

Forums, calendar of events? Chett had told me of this discussion and I popped my head into see what the hulabuloo was about.

Just ranting off but it is very feasable...

Personally I enjoyed going to a website that focused on Florida. Geocaching.com has a great Southeast site board but it covers 11 states, I wouldnt call that very "personal" to us in Florida. Several other states have web sites and I can definatley see a need or atleast a want for those sites.

Cacheflorida was a very usefull tool to check on the happenings in Florida and I enjoyed reading thru the site on a daily basis. I wish I had the time and/ or know-how to operate a website but I have neither.

I look forward to meeting you all at the Tree Tops event in Davie in just a few weeks!

Nickie218

Cacheflorida was a very usefull tool to check on the happenings in Florida and I enjoyed reading thru the site on a daily basis. I wish I had the time and/ or know-how to operate a website but I have neither.

I look forward to meeting you all at the Tree Tops event in Davie in just a few weeks!

Nickie218

Cacheflorida did an excellent job of representing each corner of the state. It was alot more personal then this site(funny how the most activity on this baord has been about the demise of cacheflorida). There is a gap now. Like Nickie i wish i had the brain power to run a web site.

Objets

:P WE to are in shock that Cache Florida is gone, and yes we too are having withdraws, but if Infosponge is not happy with what is being said, then by all means shut it down for a while and let everyone stew on why it was shut down and maybe the people who are responsible will understand that Info is a person who cares about what is said and he to has feelings like the rest of us and sometimes it is easier to shut down the site than to listen to ranting and raving about all the crap that should not be posted or emailed anyway...I guess this is just my thought, and I know I will take bashing from it, but I think it needed to be said, and yes Infosponge I do miss the site when I click on my icon and nothing comes up...We all think you did a great job and really miss your insightfulness! :D

tdj

I can run a website and have a certain design in mind. Anyone intrested I can show you an example, just email me. It seems it would fit right in line with this.

I would be willing to help anyway I can as far as behind the scenes stuff.

This site have a very active forums section, but the key feature of the site was the detailed stats. Stats were broken down by area and cachers were ranked by points, hides, and finds. It was awesome.

It shouldn't be hard to replace it...just install postnuke.org on a server somewhere and have at it.  As someone from NEFGA so lovingly told me, "you can host a web site FOR FREE".

Yes, that was me. I only said it because GeoGal was raving about her having to pay for the site because of your lack of income. I was only stating a fact that there is an offer out there that will give you free web space for 3 years. Too bad cacheflorida.com didn't last that long....

Edited by The SuzyQs
Yes, that was me. I only said it because GeoGal was raving about her having to pay for the site because of your lack of income. I was only stating a fact that there is an offer out there that will give you free web space for 3 years. Too bad cacheflorida.com didn't last that long....

Where can you get free webspace for 3 years???

Where can you get free webspace for 3 years???

http://www.1and1.com/

see here:

http://www.nefga.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8

Edited by The SuzyQs
Too bad cacheflorida.com didn't last that long....

Yeah, I wonder why. :D

When I was fed up with TampaBayGeocaching.com last year I already had cacheflorida.com 80% of the way programmed and enough people convinced me to keep going with it that I did. In retrospect I should have just quietly cut my losses then and moved on. :P I'm not cut out for running a so-called "community" site like that.

I'll be glad to contribute whatever pieces of the site to a new project or projects that I'm able to, but I suspect there is not much there that can be re-used.

... Infosponge is not happy with what is being said, then by all means shut it down for a while  ...

Looking at things in retrospect, I'll admit to sharing some portion of the blame for not lassoing things in when they got increasingly negative. I kind of assumed things would work themselves out without getting to the point that they did, and also that one of the other moderators would have jumped in if they felt things were out of hand. I think that the "debate" that was taking place in general was an important one (i.e. some behaviors that reflected negatively on the hobby, imho) but the manner in which it was transpiring was definitely not productive anymore. :D

:D I have tried to stay out of some of this conversation but I felt after reading Info's last post it was time that I accepted my share of responsibilty for this unfournate affair as well. Being a forum moderator as well and I guess potentially part of the negative posting I didn't try to lock the threads or reign in the negativity. I agreed with Info that some of the debate started off as something small and it escalated to the point of being unmanagable. I had no idea that Info was receiving email that was personally threatening or harrassing to him or his family.

I guess at this point so much water has gone under the bridge so to speak that Info is no longer wiling run a state web site for cachers. I understand his position and agree that undertaking a project like this is probably more reasonably handled on a statewide basis. With that in mind I am part of a group of other cachers who would like to try and take up this project. I have spoken with Objets, Doc Dean, and The Cache Monkeez about getting together to bring Cacheflorida or some similar web site for all Florida Cachers back.

So Info if you are willing would you Please contact me about us aquiring whatever data and code that remains from the web site and the domain names as well. We are not web guys but we are looking for others to help us out with this project and I would like to extend an invitation to Info to help out if he chooses to. I also would like to extend an apology to Tim personally for any part in this whole fiasco that I have caused personally.

greg smith

... Infosponge is not happy with what is being said, then by all means shut it down for a while  ...

Looking at things in retrospect, I'll admit to sharing some portion of the blame for not lassoing things in when they got increasingly negative. I kind of assumed things would work themselves out without getting to the point that they did, and also that one of the other moderators would have jumped in if they felt things were out of hand. I think that the "debate" that was taking place in general was an important one (i.e. some behaviors that reflected negatively on the hobby, imho) but the manner in which it was transpiring was definitely not productive anymore. :D

Well, I'm the only other moderator who had admin authority on that forum and I did "jump in". First, I gave a delete warning about the personal attacks. I thought the debate was healthy but there was no reason to say bad things about other cachers. Second, I ended up (promptly) deleting personal attack posts, on each "side" of the argument. I remember spending my Saturday going back and forth to the computer making sure the flames didn't get too high in the forum.

But these actions weren't enough to prevent some <insert expletive here> from sending Info hate mail.

Edited by CacheMonkeez

Hey Info,

I cannot speak for anyone but myself -- but from the looks of these posts there are a lot of people here that DO appreciate all the work you put into Cacheflorida!

Sorry that some people ruined it for the rest of us, because I found your site very infomative, and because of the local flare -- home.

Again, sorry about all of this, I have been out of the loop for a week or so -- only to come back and find this.

Bozz

In the interim the NEFGA web site now has regional forums for all those who would like to stop by. There is alos work under way to get a new state wide web site going again with a full compliment of stats and other items of interest. srop by

nefga and visit the our forums I think there is a little of something there for everyone. Thanks dave for all of your hard work.

the federation