Keeping Track Of One's Own Log History

shunra

I would therefore welcome a feature that would allow me to download all my logs and store them on my own computers. The site trouble on Saturday got me thinking about all the information I submit to GC. It's almost like a diary of my hikes, of which I would like to keep a private copy. Would that be possible?

I would therefore welcome a feature that would allow me to download all my logs and store them on my own computers. The site trouble on Saturday got me thinking about all the information I submit to GC. It's almost like a diary of my hikes, of which I would like to keep a private copy. Would that be possible?

I would also like to have a feature such as this.

Have a look at i-cache, down loadable from www.bigskycachers.com . I've just recently started using this program and have found it brilliant. It has different sections for keeping notes on directions, hints, found/not found, swaps, there are places for 6 photos for each cache. And you can have specific search words for each cache. As a personal record of each cache youv'e found, you wont find anything better.

Dave

The PQs were recently changed to include any entries you have for a cache that you have logged, even if it's below the last 5 log threshold. So now, I can run a PQ of my finds, and it will have all my found logs for unarchived caches.

If this could be taken 2 steps further with the PQs:

1: Along with "all caches I have found", add a check for "all caches I have logged". No need to break it out further then that, the 3rd party stuff like Watcher or GSAK should be able to be made to filter by log type, or filter by user.

2: Add a check box to "include archived caches I have logged". This would allow us to grab PQs for all our logs, without getting into the issues of stale data. Users who already have logged an archived cache still have access to them now, nothing changes.

Those 2 things, plus some updates to the 3rd party software, would allow premium members to easily create and maintain a GPX file of all their logs. Another benefit to joining.

Edited by Mopar

Good idea. It is definitely something that is planned.

As for backups, we have a robotic tape backup drive that can store up to 3 terabytes of data, and we do backups to the database (and everything else) daily. The chance of data loss is very low when you include the additional redundancy of our hard drives. It behooves Groundspeak to make sure this data is never lost. However, there is definite merit to keeping your logs as well.

As for boneheaded owners that remove logs because they "take up space," fortunately only you can edit the logs and the logs themselves remain in the database and can be recovered if you need them. With the addition of the log page you can still view them, even if they are archived.

Hoooo boy, what a great idea! I would love to be able to do this; I have more time invested in some of my logs than in the hikes to find the caches themselves! I've found enough caches that by now, it would be really tedious to go back and copy each log out individually.

Thanks in advance! - Genius Loci ('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')

I just started doing that about a month ago, running a PQ that only includes the caches that I've found. It's a great way to keep track of them, and they can be exported into either GSAK, GPXSonar, HTML, or Mobipocket formats quite easily. From there, export the data to my favorite mapping software to view the locations. I keep a file in the mapping programs that way also just for the caches I've found.

I just started doing that about a month ago, running a PQ that only includes the caches that I've found. It's a great way to keep track of them, and they can be exported into either GSAK, GPXSonar, HTML, or Mobipocket formats quite easily. From there, export the data to my favorite mapping software to view the locations. I keep a file in the mapping programs that way also just for the caches I've found.

Getting the data is no problem. What I want is my stories.

There will not be a maximum limit for a "caches you found" query.

That's the biggest "new feature" I'm jonesin' for. A recent laptop HD crash (WITHOUT good backups - a problem that has been remedies w/ rsync via ssh to my nearby Linux server) caused me to loose my "total finds" database in Utopia. I had identified, and then gone through creating .loc files for each of the archived caches - a tedious process indeed, even back then. Once I was caught up, running a daily "caches I've found" PQ and appending to this datafile worked great.

The solution described be Jeremy fits all my needs - and with the inclusions of logs in PQs, really provides us that "full journal" of our activities, that we can then slice and dice any way we like with 3rd party of homegrown tools.

My premium membership is up for renewal in about two weeks ("Happy Anniversary to Me, Happy Anniversary to Me..."), and I'm hoping that at least .63 cents of my $30 annual fee can make it past hosting fees, paying for that robotic tape library and RAID-5 disc arrays, and into the 'feature enhancement' tin cup to help fund this "top of my want list" addition.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I definately like the idea of being able to download my history of logs -- it would be a nice thing to have to look back on. As for backup, about every other week, I printout the full list of caches that I have found (actually the list of all of my logs), and hang onto this, just in case. Some others I know enter their finds both onto the GC.com site and also onto an Excel spreadsheet on their own PC.

I don't think the proposed solution solves the problem of getting all of your *logs*. It just gets all of your *finds*.

Good point.

As has often been stated, sometimes the DNFs are the best logs. While for most people I guess manually grabbing the occasional DNFs, notes, and SBA logs is not that big a deal, some people like Kablooey and TravisL have more DNFs then many people have finds.

Adding them all into one "my logs" PQ would be awesome.

Just want to cast another vote for this. I've got about 650 finds now and I estimate that I average 30 minutes per cache between getting there and searching.

That's 375 hours or 15 continuous days of my life (so far) that I've meticulously wasted... err... documented. I wouldn't want to lose that.