Wintertime

I'm pleased to announce the inaugural version of a new web page

devoted to benchmarks (survey marks) at Disneyland and Walt Disney

World. The page is here:

Disney benchmarks page

Many thanks to Nick, Jay, and Jimmy for the information and photos

they've provided. I welcome contributions from anyone else who has

benchmark info. (Or if you prefer to host your photos on your own

page, I'd like to know so I can add a link to it.)

Next time you run out of things to do at a Disney park (hah!), start

looking at the ground!

Patty

p.s. There's one county survey mark I know of at WDW. It's near

Pop Century and is called RAT WORLD. :D

Neat! :D I'd considered trying to find out something about the Disney marks, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm glad you did! At first glance the page looks very nice. Unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute right now, as the last time I was at Disney World was almost 20 years ago and I didn't know about benchmarks at the time.

I'll put a link to your page on Zhanna's World.

~Zhanna

Nice job, Patty! Thanks for the plug for our Disney California Adventure Benchmarks #1 Virtual Geocache!!

We know of 10 more "Survey Markers" at DCA in addition to those five in our above virtual cache (all found with no help from Disney, no coords). Two of those were found by other geocachers / benchmarkers, one of which is the one Patty found. We found the other 8 or so (and the original 5). We have a new virtual geocache in the works to cover the other 10 "marks". We also know of three others at Disneyland. Will send Patty info on those a soon as I can.

These Disney Survey Marks aren't offfical NGS benchmarks (not in the real NGS database, or GC.com's), so a virtual geocache is the only way folks have to get a "find credit", which some folks like to get for some reason.....

I have a friend (geocacher) who works for Disney, who talked to Disneyland (Anaheim) facilities management, and they told him they had no recod of the location of their Survey Marks locations. I find that difficult to believe. Can someone from Disney prove me right?

I have a friend (geocacher) who works for Disney, who talked to Disneyland (Anaheim) facilities management, and they told him they had no recod of the location of their Survey Marks locations. I find that difficult to believe.

The marks may have been set for specific projects and then abandoned. As such they may not have a database of the disks. They'd have to comb though all the past project to build such a list.

We have a new virtual geocache in the works to cover the other 10 "marks".  We also know of three others at Disneyland.  Will send Patty info on those a soon as I can.

Yes, please! And anyone else who knows of any at Disneyland/DCA, WDW--or Paris or Tokyo, for that matter--please send me a note about them.

These Disney Survey Marks aren't offfical NGS benchmarks (not in the real NGS database, or GC.com's), so a virtual geocache is the only way folks have to get a "find credit", which some folks like to get for some reason.....

Or just for the fun of it. It is nice to have help finding benchmarks that aren't in the NGS database, whether they end up in my Found totals or not.

I have a friend (geocacher) who works for Disney, who talked to Disneyland (Anaheim) facilities management, and they told him they had no recod of the location of their Survey Marks locations.  I find that difficult to believe.  Can someone from Disney prove me right?

I posted an announcement about the new page to the main DL and WDW groups on Usenet, and someone who works at WDW said there are 66 of them there. I got the impression that they still use them and know exactly where they are. Unfortunately, that person isn't allowed to discuss their locations. :-( Last week I sent email messages to the facilities folks at both DL and WDW, so we'll see whether that bears any fruit.

Patty

I just wanted to let people know that Patty Winter's Disney Benchmarks Page has had some major updates recently.

Patty previously mentioned a very nice person (named Nick) who took a bunch of pictures. Nick recently revisited all of the reported survey markers at Disney World and filled in all the missing GPS coordinates. This should be a big help to anyone who wants to go hunt for Disney World survey markers.

I have also added a supplementary webpage that shows the locations of Disney survey markers using USGS aerial imagery. Each survey marker is marked with a green circle, which you can also click to go back to the description and location photo on Patty's webpage. High-resolution (0.25 meters) color imagery is available for some areas and it looks great.

Enjoy the updates. If you find any Disney survey markers that we don't know about, please let Patty know!

Lloyd

Just bumping this up to let everyone know that Lloyd and his wife Meg found a bunch of marks at the Disneyland Resort recently. There have been a number of new Walt Disney World ones reported in recent months, too. Also, now that the USGS has just released color aerial photos of the DLR area, Lloyd will soon be updating his aerial imagery page with exciting new photos showing the locations of the DL, DCA, and Downtown Disney marks. (All that was available before this was a B&W photo of Disneyland when DCA was still under construction.)

Patty

It took a while, but I've finally finished updating my webpage to include the new high-resolution color imagery of the Disneyland area.

We are now up to 20 survey markers at Disneyland and 49 survey markers at Disney World. We know that there are at least a couple more at Disneyland and a lot more at Disney World, so please let us know if you find more Disney survey markers!

Lloyd