Geocaching for slugs

kathy88

Kathy, I can't speak for your area, but around here in Memphis, probably more than half the caches can be accessed with less than probably 50 yards of walking on grass or pavement.

In fact, it's kind of a sore point for me... because I like the hard-to-get to caches, and most of them are just a hop out of the car and a quick stroll down a sidewalk.

Local cachers could give you an idea of specific caches you might want to look for.

Jamie

The problem with West Virginia is that it's so full of those beautiful hills and forests, that it's hard to locate terrain rated a 1 or a 1.5!!! There are only 88 caches in the state right now, and just 17 of those are rated "easy" terrain.

Within 50 miles or so of the center of Mercer County there are about 10 beginner/easy caches (some are across the state line). One example is Pipestem Quick Cache.

I am new at this, and also started out with doing 1/1's. Like Markwell (who's NOT new at this, so listen to him, not me), I am very pleasantly surprised at how this sport is getting me into shape. I have climbed more hills and ducked more tree branches in the past month than I have in the past 10 years. Now I am out doing multi-leg caches rated 3/4.

Give it a try, and HAVE FUN!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house."

Thanks for your replies. After missing a couple of steps and taking a fall-landing on my knees on a marble floor about 3 years ago going down hill or down steps is usually very painful for me.

Like someone here said, the WV hills are majestic and grand and level ground is not easy to find. I'm hoping for more caches close to the roadways.

If not I'll travel with hubby, doing the navigation and let him do the walking. Being a highway surveyor by trade he's used to it!

Now to decide which GPS we want to invest in then getting on with it. I'm sure Pipestem State Park will be the first spot we hit! icon_wink.gif

Kathy in WV

Thanks for your replies. After missing a couple of steps and taking a fall-landing on my knees on a marble floor about 3 years ago going down hill or down steps is usually very painful for me.

Like someone here said, the WV hills are majestic and grand and level ground is not easy to find. I'm hoping for more caches close to the roadways.

If not I'll travel with hubby, doing the navigation and let him do the walking. Being a highway surveyor by trade he's used to it!

Now to decide which GPS we want to invest in then getting on with it. I'm sure Pipestem State Park will be the first spot we hit! icon_wink.gif

Kathy in WV

quote:
Originally posted by kathy88:

So.....are there any caches out there for those of us who can't or don't want exercise?

Some of us just aren't physically able to walk, climb, etc. but would still like to be able to search out and enjoy geo-caching as it sounds like fun!

Geocaching can be addictive. While not a "slug", I was a coach potato (oh, Dan, is there an E on the end of that?). Anyway, my wife and I have gone out almost every weekend for the last month and I've lost 12 lbs.

quote:
"And you can too.... all you need is a GPS and a computers and... all this for 26 easy monthy payments of just $49.99. But wait, there is more. Order within the next 20 seconds and we'll make the first 27 payments for you! That's right, we'll send you a check. Operators are standing by, call us now at 1-888-RUKIDDING"

Hey, my results may not be typical, Ting actually gained a bit. Like I tell her though, muscle weighs more than fat and she is toning up.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Mike--

I hadn't noticed the county thing till you said something!! Wonder why it does that? What amazes me is people who put a city but no state. I mean, GIVE ME A BREAK!! If I put Princeton some would immediately think NJ........but I bet there's a Princeton in almost every state and the same for most every other city in the US [and even some cities with the same names in other countries, too!....ie: Bristol/VA/TN and in England, I do believe!!]

And once we finally decide on a GPS and get into geocaching you can expect an email regarding those Kanawha county caches! Thanks for the offer.

Kathy in Princeton, Mercer County, West "by God" Virginia!!

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

If you decide to take a trip up north near Charleston email me and I'd be happy to give you a breakdown of caches "up here".

Mike

p.s. Notice how in WV we have to tell people what County we're from?