Why The Bias?

Ox

Hi, my name is Matt and I am the proud owner of a Lowrance iFinder. I admit it, I stayed away from the mainstream purchase of a Garmin and Magellan. I read reviews at several sites on GPS before the purchase and found mostly reviews just for Magellan and Garmin GPS. Then I read a review from PC Magazine and found that they rated the iFinder NO. 1 !!! I trust PC Magazine and usually buy what they recommend, so voila! a Lowrance iFinder. How jealous they will be, I thought, when they all see what a high end GPS I have, but alas, no one seems to use the iFinder. I have nightmares about Garmin and Magellan sales reps taunting me about my purchase. But after some solemn reflection, framing of my treasured PC Mag review, and a fifth of Scotch I can now say that YES, BEHOLD MY CACHE DISCOVERER, MY ELECTRIC NORTH STAR, MY DIVINING ROD OF PLASTIC TUPPERWARE: THE LOWRANCE iFINDER!

PS Does anyone else own one?

I don't know a thing about the iFinder, but Garmin and Magellan are the big kahunas for a good reason. They make great products and have been doing so for a long time. There are other players coming into the market. Cobra is one, but from what I've heard, their units aren't very good. I've yet to hear anything bad about Lowrance from the few people who do use it though. How's their mapping software?

Don't use the mapping software all that much but its pretty good. Just about every feature you could ever want. I live in a relatively flat state and own topos for most of the state parks so I just use that. Can't lay your compass on a GPS screen. My only beef with iFinder is the lack of a car charger to save batteries while driving. Other than that, the controls are great and I ESPECIALLY love the feature where you enter Lat and Long of a known point on a topo map and it tells you in inches (up, down, left, right) exactly where you are at on the topo.

i own my 2nd megallen :) The brand really doesnt bother me. They all serve the same purpose right? the only downside would be the hardcore brand bias folks and lack of others to help you if you have a problem. But hey if your GPS is good, why would you need help? lol.

heck so far my magellan sportrak map is so so on locating the actual spot of a cache. The first one i found was off by 35 feet. the second i couldnt get a good signal on (building in the way) and the third was spot on after it got a good signal.

aj

Oh, I also get great signal strength almost everywhere, even in heavy tree cover. I can honestly say I have never lost signal in the woods. I work in a large warehouse type building and can get a signal in some parts of it (Like my office on my lunch break, I swear Boss!)

Haha... a few people here own them. (I'm not one of them) :) People who have them seem to like them. I read someone mentioned that they didn't like theirs because it was not waterproof. Is yours? This is a huge deterrant for many people. I know in my case, it's nice to have something that is very popular, as there is lots of advice and support for it. Many people have Meridian Gold's (which is what I have) so there are many people who can I can ask questions, etc. etc. While the iFinder's may be great units, I would rather have something with lots of support (software wise, hardware wise, knowledge wise). Why did they rate it number one anyway?

wow, there were 4 posts while I was writing mine!

I ESPECIALLY love the feature where you enter Lat and Long of a known point on a topo map and it tells you in inches (up, down, left, right) exactly where you are at on the topo.

That sounds pretty cool.

heck so far my magellan sportrak map is so so on locating the actual spot of a cache. The first one i found was off by 35 feet.

You do realize that it could have been the hider's coords right? (35 feet isnt that bad anyway)

Edited by SBPhishy

It is waterproof up to "light mist", but it comes with a waterproof, clear plastic pouch that floats! Even if mine was listed as "waterproof" I would still use the pouch. I just don't play dangerously with my fav electronics. (I even wear an ESD strap when working on my comp)

Why the bias?

I wouldn't necessairily call it bias, it's just the fact that, Magellan and Garmin are the major name brands, and thus, they are more readily accessible. And that in turn gets it more mentions in websites.

Personally, if I had researched GPSrs a little bit, and if I would have actually bought my own instead of my parents getting me one for Christmas, I would just look for the one that reviews were best for and I could find the most info on it...

It is waterproof up to "light mist"

I don't know if I would call being able to stand "light mist" waterproof. :)

This reason alone would definitely keep me from buying one. I have often been out in the rain, and I would be scared to ever take it on a boat, or anywhere near a lake or river. I'm not a big fan of extra waterproof baggies. It sounds too much like a high class ziplock to me.

"light Mist" is what the manual says, but trust me, no water is getting in this bag. I tried it out first using my sink and a object of comparable weight and did all sorts of things to it to test it out.

well every

heck so far my magellan sportrak map is so so on locating the actual spot of a cache. The first one i found was off by 35 feet.

You do realize that it could have been the hider's coords right? (35 feet isnt that bad anyway)

well every cache i have found so far has been from the same person (the ones i mentioned were all in the same multi cache hunt). I may have typed in the cooridenates wrong or something. but like ya said 35 feet aint bad.

i own my 2nd megallen :D The brand really doesnt bother me. They all serve the same purpose right? the only downside would be the hardcore brand bias folks and lack of others to help you if you have a problem. But hey if your GPS is good, why would you need help? lol.

heck so far my magellan sportrak map is so so on locating the actual spot of a cache. The first one i found was off by 35 feet. the second i couldnt get a good signal on (building in the way) and the third was spot on after it got a good signal.

aj

Being 35' off when looking for a cache can be caused from Tree cover, also if you are under trees, the same trees were there when the cache was hiddin, So you have to figure the GPS that was used to hide the cache was under trees and so was yours, now you have twice the chance of the signal being off, Then there is this issue, if one of them has a patch antenna like a geko or an e-trek, you have more of a problem. I have a multi cache in which one area the tree cover is so heavy I hid three duplicate micros with the coordinates for the next leg. At least now cacher has a chance of finding the next leg.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

it's kind of like bicycles: the one that feels best to you is the best one for you.

(do not send me messages about what the best bicycles are. i am a knowledgeable gear slut. when i want to double the value of my car, i toss a couple of bikes on the rack.)

i have not seen or used the lowrance. i have seen and used both magellan and garmin. they're both good. i do not like the cobra so much. i had a hard time oprerating it, and that was AFTER i'd read the manual AND taken it out to run alongside our garmins and magellans.

if you like your lowrance, it's good. congratulations.

oh. expense enters into it a little. when i was shopping for my road bike, i had two in mind. i liked one slightly better. slightly. it handled a little crisper and had a softer ride but i didn't like the shifting as well. the price difference was $1100.

"light Mist" is what the manual says, but trust me, no water is getting in this bag. I tried it out first using my sink and a object of comparable weight and did all sorts of things to it to test it out.

I think I'll stick with a unit that's actually waterproof.

I once dropped my GPS 3+ in a muddy creek. I pulled it out and it was all muddy, so I put it back in and washed it off. When I pulled it out, it was nice and clean and still pointing me toward the cache. :D

Lowrance iFinder owner here! Finally, someone else!

Anyway, I have been told before that I was very stupid to buy it, because Lowrance makes nautical supplies. There have been times when the nautical connection has been apparent, like the time I accidently marked a cache as a man overboard :D . I also understand that the land mapping systems are not as good, as say a Garmin. It is also kind of bulky. It has WAAS which can be helpful when caching, and it has a big screen. Also, I like the buttons because they say their function in letters and abbreviations (my caching friend who is a Magellan owner is jealous). I hope to get a Garmin Legend sometime, but that will not be for a while. The only reason I orginally bought the iFinder is because it was cheap. For now, my iFinder has found all the caches very well, and I do not consider it a stupid purchase at all.

On the waterproof topic: I have never run any tests on it, but mine has been buried in snow and mud and come out dirty but fine otherwise.

Lowrance is a major marine supplier, and reluctantly I'll have to admit that my friend's Lowrance does kick my Garmin's butt. It even got a sat lock inside their house which is concrete and built into the side of a hill...my cell phone can't even lock in their house. It was quite impressive. Definetly something to consider next time I look into a new GPS.

Has anyone else noticed that multiple times it's come up that this is a marine products supplier and that the GPSr is not waterproof. Does that sound strange to anyone else? Why would a marine company put out an electronic unit that's not waterproof? Is this a bit strange to anyone else????

F_M

Dude, if it gets you close enough to the cache to find it, who the heck cares what others think? Use what works for you.

I bought a Magellan. Not because of any reviews, not because it's one of the mainstream brands, not because of a whole lot of reasons. I bought it because for 10 years, I've been borrowing my dad's and my best friend's Magellans when I needed a GPS. I have grown accustomed to how Magellan makes things. I borrowed a Garmin something-or-other a couple of weeks before I bought my GPS, and it was hard for me to figure out how to find the screens I wanted.

If my dad and best friend had owned Garmins instead of Magellans, I would have been used to how they work and that's what I would have bought.

Both brands got me to where I wanted to go, but I am more used to Magellans, so that's what I bought.

I did see the Lowrance in Wally world the other day, and wondered a little about them.

I also wondered if they were related to Loran, or derived from it or something...

hen there is this issue, if one of them has a patch antenna like a geko or an e-trek, you have more of a problem.

Why would a patch antenna be a problem? I have a Gecko and an eTrex and both get excellent reception in heavy tree cover. I've hunted along side Sportrak and Meridian, and Garmin Map 76S owners and my eTrex outperformed them at times.

Edited by briansnat
Has anyone else noticed that multiple times it's come up that this is a marine products supplier and that the GPSr is not waterproof. Does that sound strange to anyone else? Why would a marine company put out an electronic unit that's not waterproof? Is this a bit strange to anyone else????

F_M

Most boats have plexiglass covering their console, if there is a GPS in the console, there would be no need for it to be waterproof. There is probably more concern for it to be protected against salt air than water.

Lowrance has been making "marine products" for decades. Primarily Radar systems for finding your way (read navigation). I believe they were also one of the first to break into the civilian GPSr market. Their electronics have a platinum reputation. Garmin and magellan may have market dominance, but I've used an ifinder and liked it. The large screen was especially nice.

Lowrance is a major marine supplier, and reluctantly I'll have to admit that my friend's Lowrance does kick my Garmin's butt.  It even got a sat lock inside their house which is concrete and built into the side of a hill...my cell phone can't even lock in their house.  It was quite impressive.  Definetly something to consider next time I look into a new GPS.

He He He He :D:D:o

It is a super unit. I also owned tha Lowrance Global Map and was skeptical to get the iFinder. After a short field test, I ended up buying 11 of them for a major sampling/research project at work. I needed something that would hold a signal under canopy and in steep hollows and this unit holds even better than the old Global Map.

I also owned a garmin legend. Took it out side by side with my old Lowrance Global Map...sold the garmin the next day. The slightest canopy degraded reception. Other people I've cached with who own garmins have the same problem...but they still manage to find caches!

Salvelinus

Has anyone else noticed that multiple times it's come up that this is a marine products supplier and that the GPSr is not waterproof.  Does that sound strange to anyone else?  Why would a marine company put out an electronic unit that's not waterproof?  Is this a bit strange to anyone else????

F_M

Not at all! Their marine products are not supposed to be mounted exposed to the elements and they do have a line of land based GPS'rs as well.

I don't know any GPS that is fully waterproof and I don't know why you need it to be. But most GPS'rs, including Lowrance, are water resistant.

Salvelinus

I'm going to let this thread die pretty soon if no one else has anything left to say. It was fun to talk about Lowrance for a while, and to meet others who belong to the Lowrance family(and give hope to those not able to admit it just yet :D ) Thanks for the input.

I don't know any GPS that is fully waterproof and I don't know why you need it to be. But most GPS'rs, including Lowrance, are water resistant.

I think that depends on how you define waterproof. Many of Garmin's units (including my 3+) are rated to withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

PS Does anyone else own one?

Ox, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those. My Garmin has been behaving poorly and the Magellan we have was orginally used by cavemen.

I've read good things about Lowrance. I'm not sure which Lowrance to choose just yet.

Edited by cacheKidds

After comparing my Garmin Vista with a friend's Magellan Meridian Platinum, I discovered some features on the plat that I wished my Garmin had. I have an old yellow etrex, and that (along with much studying of threads in the GPS units and software forum) influenced my decision to get the vista. I haven;t yet experienced any of the problems that I have heard about with the Vista, like the lines on the screen, peeling rubber gasket, or malfunctioning click stick. Still, It's only about a year old so they may yet appear over time.

My friend's meriplat almost had me wishing I had gone with Magellan, but with the high price of mapping software, I couldn't bring myself to switch brands after investing in Garmin maps. (I have the same trouble with buying a digital camera. I have a bunch of expensive Cannon EOS lenses, and the digital Rebel is too expensive. :rolleyes: ) Looks like the new 60cs from Garmin might be the ticket for my next receiver when the Vista finally gives up. Loads of neat features, including some for caching, and I can use my Garmin software.

As for the Lowrance, I really haven't heard much about it. In the end, if you are comfortable using it and it gets you to the cache sites, then it's the right choice for you. Have fun on your next hunt. :bad:

Waterproof iFinder. Wouldn't this remove the worry many of you have expressed?

Edit: Wow, check these specs...

-Dual processors for higher speed screen updates and scrolling

-Dual Easy/Advanced operation modes

-Built-in, detailed Lowrance background map featuring interstate exit services

-One MMC/SD digital media memory card slot for mapping and recording capabilities (that right there might sell me)

-1,000 waypoints/1,000 event markers/100 routes

-100 savable plot trails/10,000 points per trail

-40 map zoom ranges, 0.02–4,000 miles

-42 graphic icons to mark special spots

Now if there was only a way to run GPX files on it...

Edited by CacheCreatures