Avoiding Scorpions

For those of you who live in areas where scorpions are prevalent, you might consider getting one of these. It's a keychain ultraviolet light, which throws off a very strong beam.

For those who don't know, scorpions fluoresce under ultraviolet light. For $20, it's well worth the peace of mind (and it's tiny, too).

Edited by Indiana Cojones

Hey! I am a Scorpio and I resent that remark! I mean, who would want to send ME away? :) On second thought, don't answer that!

On topic: Actually that is a pretty cool idea. I never thought of scorpions being a hazard for hikers/cachers/campers because we don't have them in Colorado. Not a bad price either!

I visited a friend in Florida once and there was a Scorpion in the bathroom one morning. It scared me to death! I should have had one of those lights! Then I would have seen it before I wandered aimlessly in to the bathroom! :)

Now that is about the coolest thing I've seen come down the pike in a long time. It'll probably keep you from stepping on a scorpion. I'd still give your boots a healthy upside down shake in the morning. After years of misspent early manhood sleeping on the floor of the Mojave, Sonoran, and Baja deserts, I never once was stung by a scorpion. Just dumb luck, no doubt. Many minerals fluoresce nicely, like scheelite, an ore of tungsten. So this thing could be fun looking for fluorescing creatures and rocks.

ed: doh! fluor, not flour

Edited by astheravenflies
According to 20/20 and CSI a few other things fluoresce. I'm wondering if the Innova UV light would cause that reaction. If so I'm now sold on them.

Since they target law enforcment for their UV light sales, I'd guess they would work fine for exposing certain "materials."

If you don't plan on ever spending a night in a hotel again, take one of these lights and shine it on the sheets or mattress at your local Motel 6. Urine, blood, "love juice"... they'll all fluoresce to some degree, even AFTER they've been washed. Frightening.

I took a blacklight to my friend's cabin in Texas just outside of Austin. In the space of about 45 minutes we had caught 16 scorpions. We were tossing them all into a large tupperware container (scorpion cache, anyone?), and at 16 they started to fight amongst themselves, so we let them all go. Apparently we hit critical mass.