Will It Not Be Approved?

Hey this is kinda bugging me. Today I hid my first cache in a city park (were some other caches are hidden a couple ridges over). Any ways i stumbled upon two tree stands used for deer hunting and one had some beer bottles round the base. Both tree stands are withen 30 yards of one another. Now this is in a city park and close to the city I am VERY sure no hunting is allowed. So i marked it on my GPS and e-mailed the DNR and told them all about the tree stands being in the park. I how i was wanting to know if that was illegal and gave them the cooridenats.

But should i be worried about geocaching.com not approving my cache? I did leave the reviewer a note explaining every thing and how i was contacting the DNR and all of that. cause i am VERY VERY VERY SURE no hunting is allowed where those stands are.

aj

As the backup cache reviewer for West Virginia, I've taken the liberty of reviewing your cache submission. I've just approved Your New Cache. Congratulations on your first hide!

You included warning language on your cache page, the beer bottles can be CITO'd, and you alerted the parks people about the tree stands (which may just be kids' treehouses?) Sounds like a responsible cache owner to me!

The only real concern with evidence of people in the immediate area is the possibility of muggles plundering your cache. I hope it's well-hidden!

no they are not tree houses, im a hunter too. one was built and one was what looks like a portable stand that has been affixed to the tree (Complete with a can holder nailed to the tree with his last can of pepsi in it, lol) If i had a trash bag with me I would have CITOed the bottles.

thanks keystone! i did get a way from the tree stands, i dont want to go into details incase some other local cachers are reading, but as long as they leave it covered the way they found it itll be good. :)

thanks again

aj

I don't know about other states, but here in Indiana we have urban hunting zones where a limited amount of bow hunting is allowed in or near certain cities. The number of areas are limited and are only approved when there are too many deer for the area to safely support. I've never seen a city park used, but if the deer are creating a danger to traffic flow then I wouldn't be suprised if there is some type of limited harvest in the area. My guess is the beer bottles aren't from the same people who erected the tree stands but instead from some local kids.

tree stands do not bother me.

beer bottles do not bother me.

one in conjunction with the other do not so much bother me as scare me.

similarly, hunting does not bother me.

evidence of illegal hunting scares me.

i am quite certain that every hunter who has a beer is not necessarily a danger. i am also aware that all those who take over limit or out of season or in forbidden areas are not necessarily murderers.

i also know that many accidents (with firearms and otherwise) are alcohol-related. i also know that wardens get shot occasionally.

when people are poorly behaved, it's one thing. when they are poorly behaved while holding firearms i hope not to be nearby.

i've known some hunters, i've known some poachers, and i've known some Idiots With Guns.

sooo... you're caching late in the afternoon far from home and you come across a trail of empty beer cans, a tree stand, and the fresh carcasses of seven does and it's the last week of march. are ya nervous? i was.

sooo... you're caching late in the afternoon far from home and you come across a trail of empty beer cans, a tree stand, and the fresh carcasses of seven does and it's the last week of march. are ya nervous? i was.

hmm id be getting out of there, but not so fast like a running deer. or just screaming dont shoot. Yes that is scary. The deer population isnt so bad that they have allowed hunting in the dunbar area. (that i know off). Every one i know that hunts (a lot of people) dont hunt in the dunbar area, or other citys close to that. theres a atv trail right above the tree stand, i didnt follow it all the way out but i assume it comes out near the picnic area.

I forgot to bring a perminant marker to write on the cache, and the memory stick for my camera so i may head back up there tommarow and take pics, write on the cache with the perm. marker and CITO around the stands.

aj

If I worried about every tree stand in NJ, I'd never place a cache. You can't walk 15 minutes in the woods without finding one... sometimes very old, but they are anywhere there are a few trees. You can warn people on your cache page that they are there, so they are aware of the fact and take it into consideration during hunting season.

And urge people to CITO the beer bottles.

with me being new and all to this i just wanted to make sure i took the right actions before hand. Im not really concerned about finding tree stands, i just worry about finding the hunters. I dont hunt on public land, this being a good example, you never know what (drunk) idiot is around the next tree (shooting at anything that moves). Like i mentioned im going back tommaorw to write on the cache with permanent marker and take some pics.

aj

i don't avoid the roads. when i see one of these drunken slobs, i call them in to the police. i also get the heck out of there.

ILLEGAL activities get me more nervous.

one night around midnight i saw two strangers in white vans (one with government plates) exchange white envelopes. i suddenly thought that it might have been a bad time to be standing off to the side holding a camera with a REALLY BIG LENS.

ok, it might have been legal. it might have been. i was still nervous.

one night around midnight i saw two strangers in white vans (one with government plates) exchange white envelopes. i suddenly thought that it might have been a bad time to be standing off to the side holding a camera with a REALLY BIG LENS.

ROFL LMAO, ya i think id went into hiding too, lol.

since they were btween me and my car, i concentrated on just taking the pretty scenic night picture of the fountain.

DO NOT LOOK AT ME! i am NOT paying attetion. i have no IDEA what you might be doing. i am not bright enough to think of it. i'm just trying to frame this shot. i am NOT pointing the camera at you.

of course, by the time thses guys started to swap envelopes, i had already set up a tripod and everything. leaving in a hurry would have been bad.

and now that i've told you this, they'll probably have to kill me. :D

(oh, my god! i used one of those smilie things!)

Part of the Oregon hunter safety course discusses drinking and guns. Until you can hit a target twice in a row, drunk, you aren't allowed to hunt.

Hmmmm......the day I can't hit my target while drunk is the day I turn in my Badge and Gun.

JOKE people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In some parts of the country, hunting is a way of life. So is drinking. And in some areas urban hunting is legal.

So as I see it, your real concern is with the combination of the three? OK, acknowledged. I think you did the right thing contacting the authorities and letting them decide what is happening.

My concern would be what type of people frequent the area. It may be hunters drinking, which is not a good idea. Or it may be kids or others just partying. I would warn others about that area on the cache page. You can CITO the beer bottles and cans if you think they were old and people don't frequent it. If it is an active area for these type of things, then it is not a good location for a cache.