Usc&gs Manual Of Triangulation

DaveD

After digging through the dusty bins of the NGS Information Center, I found 5 copies of USC&GS Special Publication 247 "Manual of Triangulation" that has been mentioned on this board several times. These are all reprints of the original and so unfortunately some of the pictures aren't of the quality as in the original publication. The cost per copy is $25. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy contact Patty Blanken (301-713-3240 x 129, patty.blanken@noaa.gov) of the NGS Information Center.

Patty is a very nice lady - great phone etiquette too.

Yes, I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciated this when I spoke with her. She really kept her cool, too, in the midst of the new carpet installation and whatever other insanity was going on in their office last week! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to receive my copy. Thanks, Dave and Patty.

~Zhanna

My copy of the Manual arrived yesterday!

Dave is correct in that the photos aren't of the same quality as in the original publication. The text is fine, however, and the charts, diagrams and tables are clearly reproduced. The larger format and looser binding of this version should also make scanning much easier.

I still have a copy of the original (on loan from a library) and I will scan the photos before returning the book.

Thanks again, Dave and Patty!

~Zhanna

Is that info out of the Triangulation Manual?

Yes, it's taken right from the manual. The images were scanned, and the text was scanned and run through some cheap OCR software. (So no, I didn't type all that. :rolleyes:)

Once I get some more done I will set it up so that you can see what part of the manual each section came from, and I'll have all the bibliographical info there too.

You got a cool sight there Zhanna.

Thank you! I'm glad you found it worthwhile. Any suggestions for anything else you'd like to see there ... just send them my way!

~Zhanna

I ordered my manual and should be getting it soon that is way cool.

If you say the pictures are not as good,which you have already stated you would scan,is the only thing I can think of.

I just wish I could build a site like that.

I do not have enough computer background.

If you don't mind I will refer to yours with queries

I bearly struggle with the little I have to do.

So there is nothing that I could suggest,except keep up the good work,it looks great and yes I think it is a very worthwhile adventure.

I think others will get great value out of it, when they ask questions, between you and dusty jacket you guy's really got it happening.

add:

Does it have the defanitions of the various markings,ie Triangle = Triangulation,Arrow=refernce ect????

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1