Spring Cleaning

Arizona is typically a pretty dry state, but we have had some rain in the last couple of months. About half of the caches we vistited last weekend were wet inside. A lot of cachers don't read the boards so maybe a reminder note can be put on one of the main pages of this site to clean up their caches for the spring. Sad to say....a lot of them are owned by non resident people.

I'm sure that there are a lot of wet,soggy, mushy caches out there that could stand some TLC.

We have helped out non-resident owners from time to time...but it doesn't occur to me to take a truck load of tupperware with me when I'm headed out the door to find a cache and I hate to drop something nice (ESPECIALLY my cool signature item) into those minature swamps.

The snow is just coming off in SE Idaho so I made the rounds of my caches. A few remain buried, but the rest survived the winter very well. Not a soggy logbook in the lot. I use ammocans, film cans and decon boxes almost exclusively. All are pretty water tight.

Fixin to go to our two farthest one Weds. (180 miles roung trip).

It rained and snowed here last week which is unusual, and I want to see how they faired.

Both are ammo cans, but we have found some people don't put them back standing up, and that causes problems.

Edited by woof n lulu

I was doing maintenance visits of all my caches a few weeks ago. One of them, Great Caesar's Ghost Cipher had an inch of water in it. The items inside the ammo can were basically ruined, but the log book was still in pretty good shape. I swapped it out with a whole new cache, leaving the old log.

This is especially strange as the original ammo can appears to have a good seal. After I cleaned it out, I left it outside at my home with just a logbook inside. Its been pretty stormy recently, but it has remained dry inside. I assume it was probably just the local trouble-maker getting his jollies.