Your Weekend Experience?

Jeremy

On Sunday night, I wrote 9 logs on my personal account with no snags. On both Saturday and Sunday, I was able to process a dozen or so caches in the review queue, again with no problems. (Reviewing caches requires loading lots of pages sometimes.) All this from a dial-up account!

I have had some trouble navigating with in the site, A lot of server errors (mostly Sat.) and errors that display "no such cache" or "server full" I figured there are too many users at that time and just relogged in at a later time.

I would also like to say BOOO HISSS!!! on the pop up ads! And the hidden links like the one on the "travel" bug page. they stink!!!!!

There apears to be more and more everyday!

I personaly would pay a larger Membership Fee to have these elimnated, and i am sure there are others that feel the same.

Does the Geocache website need to raise more money to update there equiptment and cover the expenses of the website?

See the word "travel" in my log here even links to the darn website !!!

BOOO HISSSS !!!!!

I have had some trouble navigating with in the site, A lot of server errors (mostly Sat.) and errors that display "no such cache" or "server full" I figured there are too many users at that time and just relogged in at a later time.

I would also like to say BOOO HISSS!!! on the pop up ads! And the hidden links like the one on the "travel" bug page. they stink!!!!!

I personaly would pay a larger Membership Fee to have these elimnated, and i am sure there are others that feel the same.

Does the Geocache website need to raise more money to update there equiptment and cover the expenses of the website?

BOOO HISSSS !!!!!

I'm pretty sure you're the only one seeing this. It sounds like you downloaded spyware that creates hyperlinks on the web pages you visit.

Sounds like you have a spyware infection. I'm not seeing a thing from gc.com.

In the logs i have been typing, everytime i add in the the word travel, dial-up. or other key words they become underlined and a link is attached to that particular key word.

I also have expedia.com has been attaching itself to the geocache web page, like a letter head on the top. am i the only one that is getting this?

Well, since you asked. I noticed that the left front wheel on the Cache Truck was making a bit of a crunching noise. I began to feel it through the floor as well. Now that the little Mercury is totaled, the truck needs to be FMC because I can’t keep the rental forever. So there I go Saturday morning pulling off the front wheel with a sore back and all. The first thing I notice is that the lug nuts still have that incredible jet engine anti-seize compound on them, making their removal much easier. Picked up a can of that back in 1984 when I was stationed at Travis AFB in California. With the wheel removed, I immediately noticed that one of the metal tabs that keeps the brake shoe in place has bent up and is probably contacting the wheel. So I bend it back down, reinstall the wheel, load Patch in the bed, and take it out for a test drive. I run over to Night Cache #3 as I heard there was some problem with it. Sure enough, some kids have found it and there’s a mess. The cache container is still there so I’m glad for that anyway. The remaining contents are all crap. Another crapified cache, who’d a thought?

So Patch and I head home, the wheel still crunching, and my teeth hurt from grinding them. Off with the wheel. I wiggle the brake disc (which I really should have had turned last time I did the brakes) and there’s a bit more play than I like. So I jack up the right side and wiggle that disc, not so much play. I changed that wheel bearing back in ’97. So it’s inside, get the phone, call Schucks, drive the rental POS over and pick up a new set of bearings, seal, and the fancy Ford tool that takes the hub nut off. I knew I should have bought one of those last time. Back at home, I pull off the brake caliper and hang it off the coil spring with some .32 safety wire (got that back in ’84 too). Then the retaining clip, big washer, thrust bearing, little washer, two four-prong nuts, another washer, and the outer bearing. The outer doesn’t look so bad, but it’s hard to tell with a bearing you know. I have a bit of drama getting the disc off the spindle, it’s supposed to just slide off once the outer wheel bearing is off. All that jerking is making my back feel really good, I tell you what.

Now, the inner bearing and the inner bearing race are a pre-assembled unit. At least that’s what it’s supposed to be anyway. The inner race comes off without the tapered bearings in their cage. Much rattling and excessive play. I should mention that since my hands have been covered in grease, my cell phone has rung three times. No emergency; and one more thing that’ll need a good wiping down. The bearing rollers and cage come off in individual pieces. That bearing was definitely fudged. I can’t believe that thing took me all the way to Lynwood and back last weekend. It probably knew I was going to do the Fen Dweller’s Belt cache, it must have thought I needed the punishment. So I open the Schucks bag and they only gave me one bearing. Wash hands, drove POS rental back to the store for another $17 bearing. Schucks gives a 10% military discount, which saves me about $5.70 over the two bearings and the tool. That’s a Starbucks!

So back at home, I pack the inner bearing (the inner and outer are both the same, which is weird for Ford to do something that makes so much sense) and slide it on the spindle. What did I do wrong? I forgot the seal! With that minor wheel bearing faux pas corrected, I drive out the outer races from the disc with a brass drift and drift in the new ones. Grease them up and slide the disc back on over the spindle. Pack the outer bearing and slide it into position. Then the washer and one of the two four-pronged nuts. Smoke it down to 35 Ft-Lbs, rotate the disc a few times to seat the bearings, loosen, and torque it to 14 inch pounds (I did that by feel as I do not have a torque wrench that goes that low). Then the other four-pronged nut which has to be smoked down to 150 ft-lbs. My back tells me it doesn’t much care for that amount of smoke. Then on with the little washer, thrust bearing, big washer, and retaining clip. Pull the brake caliper down and reinstall it. Wheel on, wheel off. I might as well rotate the tires while I’m at it. Finally with all four wheels on the ground I load Patch back up and head out for a test drive. I head over to Night Cache #2 as I hear the log book is full and the inside is damp.

Another crapified cache, who’d a thought? I take this one home too. At home I figure out that someone closed the cache with a piece of wire hanging out through the seal. Wire? Yes, somebody traded a small well used trailer light into the cache. So I dump all the broken toys and spent .22 shells in the trash and dry it out. Get a new log book from my cache supply box, and a few new items. Patch is whining in the back of the truck. I cut a few more reflective patches and grab the staple gun. I reset the cache in a new location. It’s dark before I get home. I didn’t notice any “server too busy” problems this weekend, but then I neither hid nor found any and didn’t need to log anything.

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Criminal
Well, since you asked...

Criminal, I need to get you and Mopar to come over to my place. With your Ford knowledge and his Hemi experience, maybe you two could get the dual carbs on my '72 MG to work in sync. :) I'll buy the beer. In honor of the occasion, we'll be having Old Peculiar and John Courage.

As for the server, no problems with the little bit of twiddling I did over the weekend.

-E

Well, since you asked...

Criminal, I need to get you and Mopar to come over to my place. With your Ford knowledge and his Hemi experience, maybe you two could get the dual carbs on my '72 MG to work in sync. :) I'll buy the beer. In honor of the occasion, we'll be having Old Peculiar and John Courage.

As for the server, no problems with the little bit of twiddling I did over the weekend.

-E

I did this on a 1963 Triumph TR3A once. Rebuilt the carbs and sync'd them.

Have you looked into replacing them with Mikuni snowmobile carbs? There used to be some kits out there that would change the duals to four sidedraft snowmobile carbs.

No problems at all, except that initial out of disk space error Saturday morning. Never got any server too busy errors. Didn't even get selected to be a deadlock victim once! :)

I had a 67 MG for a few years while I was in college. We had to get rid of it when our first Son was born. Driving with the car seat wedged between the two bucket seats is not the recommended configuration, but being a dumb kid, we did actually drive around like this for a while. My mom came to the rescue and gave me a Honda civic wagon in trade for my MG, which she gave to my little brother. He threw a rod coming down from Tahoe. Poor thing. I recall enjoying the carb sync ritual (using the cool sync tool). Maybe I need an MG again. The recent weather makes me pine for a rag top...

--Marky

As for the carb sync topic - 1978 Yamaha 1100XS with 4 carbs. It was cheaper to sell the bike then get the gear and parts to fix it. Miss that thing a lot.

One of my Uncles used to rebuild carbs on Fighters on the Lady Lex a few years back. Do not get those guys talking about specs.

Oh yea, We had no problem Sunday and Monday logging the 35 caches we did over the weekend.

logscaler.

I logged 7 finds on Saturday. three of them gave me trouble; they wouldn't get uploaded. The first of these - a lengthy one - was entirely lost. I then kept the others short and kept a copy. Needed to submit them several times, and was never able to view the cache page afterwards - not from other computers either. A fellow cacher had a similar problem at the same cache page. After 5 am the situation was apparently OK. On one of the three I found I had a duplicate log, and I deleted one of them.

This was actually the worst GC site trouble I've experienced, but I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't asked.

I strongly hope, however, that you keep backups of all the logs. I'd HATE it things could get lost. Also, I'd strongly welcome a feature that would allow me to download all my logs and store them on my own computers. There is history there!

(I'll request this in a separate topic)

Also, I'd strongly welcome a feature that would allow me to download all my logs and store them on my own computers. There is history there!

(I'll request this in a separate topic)

I believe that the pocket queries now include your log for every cache you found, if they are in the query. Pull this into a GSAK database and then you'll have a copy of all of your logs on your local harddrive. Well except for archived caches, and hopefully GC.com will be including those in the pocket queries soon.

--RuffRidr

Have you looked into replacing them with Mikuni snowmobile carbs?  There used to be some kits out there that would change the duals to four sidedraft snowmobile carbs.

Currently, my MG is a factory original--I'm hesitant to do anything after-market. It's in great shape, having been garaged all it's life and I knew the previous owner since he bought it. I've considered going with a Weber single-barrel carb and put the Stromberg in a box.

Some day, when my kids aren't using all of my disposable income, I'll do a full restoration. For now I'm trying to get it where I can take it out for a spin on a nice day when I want to get in some light caching.

-E

OGRP (obligatory geocaching.com related post): The server is doing much better now. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah. That is most definitely spyware. Try running ad-aware. There is a free version on the web site.

I would also recommend visiting windowsupdate.microsoft.com and making sure you have all the patches installed. This will help to keep some adware/spyware from getting installed.

This weekend I didn't notice any errors while viewing caching pages. I didn't log any caches, but I did read the logs of people who did cache in my area. I probably view 50 or so cache pages without any problems.

BOOO HISSSS !!!!!

That would be spyware. I have a really heavy infection of it on my computer right now. I can't seem to get rid of it manually.

If you get popups that tell you that your computer might be infected and you need to buy this program to be sure it means you do and the company selling that product is the one who put it in your computer. Even if these aren't the popups you are getting it is still spyware.

In the logs i have been typing,  everytime i add in the the word travel,  dial-up.  or other key words they become underlined and a link is attached to that particular key word.

I also have expedia.com has been attaching itself to the geocache web page,  like a letter head on the top.  am i the only one that is getting this?

You have some sort of spyware which has invaded your computer. :rolleyes:

You might want to run Ad Aware (free) to find your spyware.

Get a program like Ad Subtract to block popups and ads.

I have never seen ANY popups or had any spyware from gc.com

And I didn't have any problems with the server this weekend either!

Edited by Imajika

Sunday about noon-1pm I needed to get the coords for one of my caches to do maintaince and it took a bunch of tries to see the cache page, so I could print it.

A white screen with a bunch of crap (plumber & computer jargon) kept coming up.

Don