Cache Mementos

Being brand new to this game (first weekend) and finding a few caches, all full of junk, it occured to the missus and me that it would be really cool to have something worth collecting. Maybe an inexpensive pin or button or something that uniquely identifies the players. When a player visits a cache they would exchange pins with the cache owner. The cache owner would get something they could display from each visitor, while the visitors would also get something they could display as a memento of a succesful find. I mean, what value does an old golfball or a computer chip or hair clip have? Imagine after playing the game for awhile that you'd have a collection of pins, one for each find? I know it would cost a little money, but I'm sure there are many people who would like to share something that has a little meaning.

Quite a few cachers place signature/collectible trade items in caches. I've seen buttons, magnets, cache cards, etc. Personally, I like those items. I leave a nice trade if there is good stuff in the cache (a decent compass, a book, 'biners, instant cache kits [logbook, pen, mechanical pencil, and stickers packaged in a ziplock]), and I almost always leave my signature item, handstamped bookmarks, and a READ sticker.

BUT, you will always find junk in some caches - it's just the way it is. Some people don't trade at all (TNLN) which is fine - but some people just always leave crap, or create caches that start with crap. So, don't get too upset when you find those caches - just TNLN or add a signature goodie, and go on to the next one.

Along with many others my avatar shows my Sig item. I do try to change the patch year each year to show when I did the cache. I love Sig items and they are almost all I collect anymore. I always leave my patch and then I usually just take a signature item that I don't already have. If there are no sig items I usually just take nothing.

Lostwithoutaclue... maybe you'd be interested in letterboxing. Instead of "treasure" the box contains a log book and a rubberstamp. Each participant also has his own personal rubber stamp and log book. You stamp your book with the boxes stamp and the box book with your stamp. Most of these stamps are handmade. There are also hitchhikers that function very much like travel bugs. A GPS is not used. You must follow clues and directions.

For more info and clues, check out Letterboxing North America and Silent Doug's letterboxing page

I myself both Geocache and Letterbox. It could add that personal touch you're looking for.

Hi, guys!

I've got two signature items! One is an acorn with a tag on it, the tag has a picture on one side and my name on the other! The other item is a button with my picture on it! You can get the plastic parts for the button at a craft supply store, usually in the "kid's crafts" section!

145302_400.JPG

They aren't really this big! The button is only 2 1/4 inches across and the acorn is a little under 1 1/2 inches long.

Have fun!

Jeeps the Squirrel

Edited by Jeeps the Squirrel