Macintosh Computers

What the hell is the point in a sports car if there are no roads to drive it on? Buy a real computer. :)

What roads can he not drive it on? Find me an emulator for Mac for Windows...

Not everyone likes the constant security breaches, the email viri, the constant updates, etc, etc.

Some folks appreciate a fine tuned system that just works. Imagine that.

Find me an emulator for Mac for Windows...

Oh yeah! I can do anything with my computer, as long as I have an adapter. :)

All your stuff works without an adapter? Your GPS/PDA/Tablet?Mouse just work wirelessly? Don't you mean driver? Then a reboot, then configuring that driver?

Get yourself a Mac, try it out for a while, then come talk to me. I own both, without a doubt I spend much more time maintaining one than the other. Talk about worry free computing...

I have a palm m515 and the Magellan GPS Companion and a Mac. Add some apps and you are ready to go.

For the Palm:

Cachemate

$7, this program is a gpx file reader for the palm. it talks to your gps for figuring out which caches are closest to your current location, bearing and distance... etc You can sort your caches out into catagories read others log entries, hints are decryptable, and you can record you log there so you dont forget what you took/left etc... VERY USEFULL APP for the palm, you need the accompanying converter CMConvert or MacCMConvert to convert the files to a palm type file. Cachemate also has a Navigation Plugin now.

Nav Campanion

Free w/GPS basic gps appp for the palm and GPS Companion. It works well enough but the most GLARING missing features are UTM, a digital compass with the sun(like they have on the GPS 315) and Projections.

I have remapped my hard buttons to jump between these two apps.

CetusGPS

I just started playing with this one and it has some plusses and minuses... for the way i cache the negatives outweigh the plusses. A GREAT Program though I WILL be keeping it loaded for some features and for non caching GPS activities(bet you didn't know they existed did you?)

For the Mac:

Shell Scripts

I have a shell script that runs all the gpx conversions, archival and backup of all my geocache/benchmark info. It is no a downloadable thing, but if you want a copy of it to modify for your own use I can email it to you. It is easily modified for a new user with basic .sh knowledge.

GPS Babel

A gps file format tool... A MUST HAVE converts gpx to palm capable files for different types of recievers and gps apps. Also there is a mac version MacGPSBabel

CMConvert

i use a mac. there is CMConvert for everybody else. this app takes your pocket query GPX files and makes them work for cachemate on the palm and makes them a palm type file. a MUST HAVE if you use cachemate. I use the command line version, but there is a version called MacCMConvert with a GUI

BMGPX

bmgpx to reformat files on benchmarks from the NGS website to the GPX format. not as cool as maybe a pocket querry but still cool. This allows you to have the full descriptions and info for Benchmark files, which of course makes it much easier to find marks.

TerraBrowser

A piece of mapping software that gathers both arial photos and topo maps from terra server without use of a web browser. It has GPS interface info and live tracking abilities. You also can load geocaching loc and gpx file into the app and it will plot them all on the maps. It allows you it download a region based on distance for offline viewing, great for out of town caching trips.

Coordinate Converter

I have written a basic coord converter in applescript. It is useful for converting coordinates between a couple degree type formats. More conversion options will be added later. As it is right now you can convert between <i>DegreeDecimal, DegreeMinuteDecimal, and DegreeMinuteSecond</i> formats at will.

loc Builder

I also have written a basic coord converter and loc file creater/builder in applescript. It is useful for making a file for your GPS or Palm in the loc format.

Also there are a few other apps listed in other places... This is just what I use.

Edited by ralann
All your stuff works without an adapter? Your GPS/PDA/Tablet?Mouse just work wirelessly? Don't you mean driver? Then a reboot, then configuring that driver?

C'mon. Forcing your system to function as another system just to use software that wasn't written for it is nothing like a driver.

Get yourself a Mac, try it out for a while, then come talk to me. I own both, without a doubt I spend much more time maintaining one than the other. Talk about worry free computing...

Buying something sub-par, trying to force an all-in-one functionality, is just delusional denial.

Analogy 2: Putting truck tires on a Fiat does not make it an all-terrain Hummer.

When I look at a Mac, I think it's the most beautiful computer I've ever seen. When I use a Mac, well, now that's a different story. I think a lot of things are great about them, but I don't understand many things about them. I don't understand why they won't make a mouse with more than one button, and I think it sucks that a lot of programs don't work with them. Also, the "X" button, that closes programs should be on the right side. :)

What can I say, I like PC's, as unstable as they may be.

What the hell is the point in a sports car if there are no roads to drive it on? Buy a real computer.

Oh yeah, and that's funny as s***. :)

Edited by SBPhishy

C'mon. Forcing your system to function as another system just to use software that wasn't written for it is nothing like a driver.

Buying something sub-par, trying to force an all-in-one functionality, is just delusional denial.

Analogy 2: Putting truck tires on a Fiat does not make it an all-terrain Hummer.

That's where your thinking is flawed, it does make it a 4WD Hummer, and there is absolutely nothing sub-par about it. Point some of those out to me... The whole point is that the G3/4/5 processor is strong enough to emulate an x86 variant. It doesn't work the other way around. So, where is the Mac system inferior? The best of both worlds, none of the consequences of running a Wintel rig? I'm failing to see the logic, or the pop-up ads, or the constant security updates, or the viri, etc, etc.

The whole point is that the G3/4/5 processor is strong enough to emulate an x86 variant. It doesn't work the other way around.

No one wants it to work the other way. Why would I want to dumb down my PC to work like an inferior MAC? :D

Your only lying to your self. The truth is in the sales. We live in a capitalist society. If the MAC was the best the sales would reflect that. :o

If you're comfortable sitting in your Fiat pretending it's a Hummer, more power to you. :D

The truth is in the sales. We live in a capitalist society. If the MAC was the best the sales would reflect that. :D

Based on your logic, your Meridian must be a real POS since Magellan doesn't have the market share that Garmin does. :D

Personally, it doesn't matter... use what you like and what works for you. The rest of us will do the same.

As a Mac owner and user, what surprises me is that you are still on OS 9. Panther kicks major butt! And Safari 1.2 is looking really good. I've had no real problems with it.

With that said, I still do most of my waypoint management and mapping on my PC, just because I have both, and the apps are native rather than emulated. I don't even know if MapSend DirectRoute will work emulated on a Mac. The PC programs I use are MapSend DirectRoute and Topo, National Geographic Topo! (available for the Mac now), Watcher, gpsbabel, and GPX Spinner.

Since my visor is connected to my Mac, I use MacCMConvert to push stuff to CacheMate.

--Marky

Ok...I have to chime in here. I was a PC user and I got tired of all the stupid things that goes on with the wonderful instability of windows, and the constant sucurity breaches. The dadgum blaster worm virus was the last straw. Windows is a pile of crap, no matter what version you run (especially XP-which is a memory hog like no other I've ever seen). So when I was in the market for a new computer, I walked into a local Apple store, told them what I wanted it to do and wouldn't you know it...I walked out with a beautiful G4 Powerbook titanium. I keep a Window's machine around for the fun of it, but the Mac is the best. Panther kicks butt, the G4 is speedy and a workhorse,and the graphics are fantastic. It took some reading and some time to get used to it, but I wouldn't trade it in. I am now an offical Mac user and proud of it.

PC users ..continue to have to re-boot because the blue screen of death appears or the dadgum thing just freezes up for "no apparent reason". I will be continuously running and mine will shut off only when I want it to.!! :rolleyes:

Ok...I have to chime in here. I was a PC user and I got tired of all the stupid things that goes on with the wonderful instability of windows, and the constant sucurity breaches. The dadgum blaster worm virus was the last straw. Windows is a pile of crap, no matter what version you run (especially XP-which is a memory hog like no other I've ever seen). So when I was in the market for a new computer, I walked into a local Apple store, told them what I wanted it to do and wouldn't you know it...I walked out with a beautiful G4 Powerbook titanium. I keep a Window's machine around for the fun of it, but the Mac is the best. Panther kicks butt, the G4 is speedy and a workhorse,and the graphics are fantastic. It took some reading and some time to get used to it, but I wouldn't trade it in. I am now an offical Mac user and proud of it.

PC users ..continue to have to re-boot because the blue screen of death appears or the dadgum thing just freezes up for "no apparent reason". I will be continuously running and mine will shut off only when I want it to.!! :bad:

That's pretty much how it goes. Most if not all Mac users have used PCs so can "bash" if we want, but most if not all PC users have not used a [recent] Mac so have no room to bash. :)

I'll agree that you should keep your old PC around for some things like uploading Mapsource maps to your new Garmin, etc. or get VirtualPC. Overall the Mac is a better experience, but you have to see it and experience it to understand it.

Both machines have their place, just a matter of personal preference. Let's try to keep this constructive! :rolleyes:

I guess now wouldn't be the time or place to start about the fact that OSX or Panther is build around a Unix base, and that my PC's running Linux only go down if i tell them to :rolleyes:

Windows sucks major, but since we (The consumer) let this Gates guy be, who are we to speak?

As stated in posts before, use it for what it's ment to be used. And to stay with the analogy, you don't whack a nail in with a nice, juicy steak do you :bad:

Ton

Team Kattukwaad

The Netherlands

I live in a house with 4 macs and about the same number of PeeCees. I like haveing the M$ machines around, because I like to work on and fix things. When I switched to OS X almost 2 years ago, I found I didn't get to work on and fix things anymore!!! The winblows machines just constantly need attention, while the Macs all running Panther, stay on constantly! My main machine, Flat Panel iMac is also acting as a web server and FTP!! How many of your windows boxes are you currently keeping on 24/7? using them for everyday task AND haveing people constantly accessing them??? I would like to see ONE PC that is as elegant and beautiful as my iMac.

Unix is rock solid.

As it happens, I just completed my Mac geocaching system, and it's all working great. I'm using MacGPS Pro on my Power Mac G4 and CacheMate on my Palm Zire 71. My GPS receiver is a Garmin GPS III+. The Garmin and the Palm can both talk to my Mac, and now they can also talk to each other.

I second (or is it third by this point?) the recommendation of MacGPS Pro. I should be receiving the new version any day now; it can take coordinates from GPX as well as LOC files. I'm running it under OS X, but it works on OS 9, too. I love how I can mark waypoints on a map in MacGPS Pro, then download them to my Garmin, and also create waypoints when I'm in the field and upload them to view them on maps later. BTW, I bought the necessary Keyspan/USB cable combination from James Associates when I got MacGPS Pro.

I just bought a cable to link the Palm to the Garmin, so now I can take advantage of the Garmin plug-in for CacheMate. Very cool! No more having to tediously "type" waypoint names and coordinates on the GPS; I can do it all on the Palm. And if I'm in a certain area and want to search for some caches or benchmarks, I can just send their information from the Palm to the GPSr and I'm ready to go.

So yes, you can set up a very nice geocaching system on your Mac. Have fun!

I moved to Mac from PC three years ago, and now it is painful when I have to go back. My office recently purchased a commercial digital label printer that has it's own computer built with it that runs XP. I spend more time trying to get Windows to function than I do printing. I run a Mac G4 as a desktop sytem since I primarily work in graphics and editing, where Mac is the hands down champ, and a powerbook g4 laptop. Since installing OSX each of these machines have crashed once. Both times, the system warned me that I was about to create an instability and was i sure that I wanted to do that. Since 10.3 I have had no crashes, no needs to restart, no trouble. The biggest thing about Mac is, it just works. You notice that there is no industry built around Mac repair and service, and very few Mac IT guys. That is because the system is stable when you get it. If you need to network, just tell it to create a network and it does it. On top of that, three years, virus free. You show me a pc running windows that has half the stability of any of my macs and i will kiss your a** on the town square and give you a week to advertise and draw a crowd.

I think the real point is that a mac will travel on any road, the mac superhighway, the unix expressway or the pc urban gridlock. Sure we have to use an emulator, but don't you have to use a browser to view this post, same difference. As far as using an adapter to hook up to a serial gps, don't be so smug, many of the new generation pc laptops are shipping without serial ports, so if you have a new pc, you need an adapter too.

Just an fyi to the pc guys with wireless networks, unless you have hidden your network(which almost no one does), my Mac will walk right around your WEP and wander all over your system, invisible. No special tricks, works this way from the factory. Strike another blow for Windows security. Hmmmm, windows security, isn't that an oxymoron?

Thankyou Wintertime for the information I came into this topic to find, I use Mac and PC, I wish to use the Mac for caching, that no ones concern but mine and don’t see why PC thugs (He,He) should give us a hard time for wishing to discuss it.

Again thankyou wintertime for the low down on MacGPS Pro It was a shame I had to wade through all the PC phallic waving.

Wasn't the orginal issue about Mac software and GPS? Boy I've learned a lot. I'm running an older iMac with 9.2 (this is a recent upgrade from my Performa 7.something) I'm really glad there are a few products out there that haven't totally blown over OS9.

I have a MeriPlat, but I'm still lacking the DB9 to USB connector, so I'm still in the software research stage. I have a W2K laptop from work (never know how long I'll have it so try not to get too dpendent on it). The obvious advantage are its variety of ports, and the number of programs written for it.

I move back and forth between the platforms with ease, but if I had the money, I'd get a killer Mac system in a heartbeat. :D

mac vs. pc. . . man you guys need to get over that. its like comparing a corvette to a honda. you pay a lot more for a corvette and you get a much better machine. sure more people drive honda's and you can get a heck of a lot more after market (piece of crap plastic add ons) but that doesnt make the car any better. is there anything wrong with either car? no. but unless you ahve the money and knowledge for a corvette you likely arent going to drive one around. same is true with macs, you pay more, you get an infinitly more reliable system that comes loaded with everything you need in a computer. now that we have that setteled. . . as long as youre using Mac OS X. . . i am still confused about OS 9 . . . OS X is the better than any other OS for peecee or mac

has anyone tried route 66 software for mac ?http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=US&sec=1&ssec=0&prodid=716

or for topo software from National Geographic?

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/mapstore/software.cfm

they are both mapping software for the mac. im still working on getting a serial to USB adapter, but once i get one ill start trying some mac software (right now im using my old peecee box to connect to my garmin GPS V)

ok, whew, I just read through all the post, and , well.....ugh.

We were a pc family, now we are a imac family. We used to do all our geocaching using "stuff" for windows. We went on a geotrip this weekend and had to print out everything, because I am lost on how to re-learn the gpx stuff.

"wintertimes" post was as close to help without too much confusion, but I do not have a Garmin.

I have a Magellan Meridian gold, and a Palm.V

What do I need to get?

Lost, Lost, Lost...

Since 4 Chlids' setup is a bit different from mine, can anyone here offer experience with using a Mac with a Magellen Meridian and a Palm V?

I just checked the system requirements for CacheMate, and they mention Palm OS 5/6, so as long as a Palm V can run one of those, it should be fine. CacheMate (www.smittyware.com) is a wonderful program.

James Associates' website (www.macgpspro.com) says, "Use the appropriate Magellan PC serial cable with a Keyspan USB to Serial adaptor for USB Macs," so if the Meridian doesn't come with a PC serial cable, it should be easy to get one. JA sells the Keyspan adaptors, although I imagine they're pretty easily available at electronics stores, too.

I got my Palm-to-Garmin cable from Blue Hills Innovations, but they don't seem to make them for Magellans, so hopefully someone here can point 4 Childs to a source for those.

Is there any map software (expensive or otherwise) that I can use in Mac OS X that has a full road map for the USA? I don't care so much about being able to work with GPX files; I'm really just looking for something so that I can plug my eTrex into my iBook and watch myself driving along a road and see where I'm going and such.

I bought a 12" PowerBook a year ago and love it. I'm a long time Windows/Unix/Linux user.

Things to note... OSX has crashed more than WinXP in my expereience. All the crap about blue screens etc pretty much disappeared with win2000/xp. Win95/98/me are definitely junk though, not even worth using to me.

I don't find OSX any easier to use really, some things are nice, different, but overall most time is spent in one app. I like Safari better than IE probably, seems to have pretty decent compatibility now with all sites I visit. I like windows file explorer better than Finder, get much more info packed on the screen and quicker to get around in.

Lack of GPS support as well as other software limitations on Mac's sucks for sure though.

[...]

Things to note... OSX has crashed more than WinXP in my expereience.

[...]

I regularly use 2 Macs running OS X (work and home). The home Mac would crash (Kernel Panic) once or twice per week. The Work mac would never (and I mean never) crash.

Long story/short: I eventually traced it to a bad RAM DIMM. OS X really exercises the RAM with virtual memory management, and is very sensitive to faulty RAM. Consider testing (which didn't initially reveal the problem for me) or as a test replacing the RAM in your Mac with high-quality brand-name RAM, and see if the crashing goes away.

It did for me. Both Macs I use never crash with heavy use.