Gps On A Mountain Bike

With the Garmin handlebar mount will my GPS withstand the shock and/or vibrations of off road trail riding? Or should I baby the unit by only using it when I stay on the pavement?

I had this grand idea of riding and tracking some local trails, but I sure don't want to damage my Legend.

In the specifications, the "Dynamics" are listed at 6g's.

The Handlebar mount bracket page says:

"...perfect for your bike, motorcycle or ATV."

I dunno, but some of the dynamics of motocross can be pretty intense depending on how courageous you are. You might look into the phyics of dirt biking and see how many g's a typical jump/landing is.

I've read many stories in this forum about people who've dropped their Legend (among other abuses), and it just kept on ticking. I have not read any complaints of someone who'd dropped their's resulting in breakage. This does not mean that no such stories exist... I think I just read recently how someone left an Etrex (model unknown) on top of their car, and it fell off at about 50 M.P.H., and came away unscathed. That's "shocking"! :) (pun intended)

Actually it was a GPS V that exited from the top of the vehicle and 50 mph. You might want to give Renegade Knight a bad time about it as it was his and he was driving when he remembered where he left it. As you say it was running fine when he drove back to get it. He told me there were just a few new scratches in the case. I would not advise anyone to try and duplicate this test. :)

I've been wondering about the handlebar shock issue also. I have been watching this discussion board for a few months now and haven't run across any reports of GRSr damage due to mount-transmitted shock, so I went ahead and ordered a handlebar mount and will try it out. I'll be sure to let you know if I can accomplish the feat.

my vista works just fine on the hadlebars of my mountain bike. i do not keep my gps ON the bike during races, or on any terrain on which there is a good possibilty i'll rip it off as i'm flying over the handlebars on my way to the emergency room.

other than that, most geocaching terrain is either usually not bike freindly, or it's safe enough for the GPS.

what i'm DYING to try out is my new cute little shoes (basically a high-top light hiker with SPD cleats), since it got cold and snowed just before i got them. i have learned by experience that high-performance italian bike shoes with rigid soles are not well-suiter for scrambling up rock faces or climbing trees.