How can I see who is 'watching' a cache??

ironjungle

I noticed that there is a line in the upper right of a cache page that says "3 people watching this cache" (of course, it may not say 3, but 4, or 8, etc.)

Is there any way to find out who else is watching the cache? Find out what other usernames are watching the cache?

Thanks

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by ironjungle:

Is there any way to find out who else is watching the cache? Find out what other usernames are watching the cache?

Turning the request on its head, why do you want to know?

How about starting a thread on here asking "who is interested in cache XYZ?" or, perhaps, posting a "for info" log on the cache inviting the watchers to contact you.

--... ...--

Morseman

Go to the back of a old comic book where they sell the genuine sea monkeys, and all the other things you can get to "amaze your friends" and order a pair of the x-ray glasses. When you put them on, the names of the people watching will magically appear. Trust me. And I'm not just saying this because I own the company that sells the glasses. Actually, if you make a post to the cache page yourself, it will send an email to everyone watching the cache. Whether they reply is entirely their option, but then again there's really no need to know who's watching, although in your case, I'm pretty sure the KGB, FBI, NPS, ACLU, NAACP, MADD, KAOS, NRA and the guy at Wal-Mart that always seems to follow you around are the ones watching your cache.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

I think it would be a cool feature, but not a needed one.

I can also see it being abused. For Example, after a cache is plundered a cache owner may misstaken accuse anyone on the watch list who hasn't found the cache of being the plundererer.

- Lone Rangers

Maybe the real question is "why would someone watch a cache?" and knowing who it is might tell you why ...

Reasons people watch caches include:

They're one of the hiders. Only the owner first listed gets emailed when the cache receives a log. So if I want to know when the cache I hid with wavydave has been visited, I have to "watch" the

cache. Then I get the emails, too

To see when/if what you left as a trade item is picked up. If it's the next item out of the cache, many cachers will stock up on that item and use them more often because people are enjoying them. But if they sit in the cache for the next 12 visits, then they might not want to trade those anymore ...

To see if others had as difficult a time as you did when you hunted a cache ... some cachers might want to watch to see others experiences without having to check every day, only when it was visited

To see if a particular trade item is still there before you get to a cache. I like foreign coins, so I might try a harder cache if it's got coins in it. But if the coins are traded before I get the chance to hunt it, I might save my efforts and do a few easier ones on the trip instead

Doesn't exactly answer your question, but maybe it helps with why you asked it icon_smile.gif

Maybe the real question is "why would someone watch a cache?" and knowing who it is might tell you why ...

Reasons people watch caches include:

They're one of the hiders. Only the owner first listed gets emailed when the cache receives a log. So if I want to know when the cache I hid with wavydave has been visited, I have to "watch" the

cache. Then I get the emails, too

To see when/if what you left as a trade item is picked up. If it's the next item out of the cache, many cachers will stock up on that item and use them more often because people are enjoying them. But if they sit in the cache for the next 12 visits, then they might not want to trade those anymore ...

To see if others had as difficult a time as you did when you hunted a cache ... some cachers might want to watch to see others experiences without having to check every day, only when it was visited

To see if a particular trade item is still there before you get to a cache. I like foreign coins, so I might try a harder cache if it's got coins in it. But if the coins are traded before I get the chance to hunt it, I might save my efforts and do a few easier ones on the trip instead

Doesn't exactly answer your question, but maybe it helps with why you asked it icon_smile.gif