Mapopolis And Maplet Question

Ok all you Mapopolis pros... I've created a whole bunch of maplets (.mlp) from GPX files using the tool provided by Mapopolis. I've downloaded them to my SD card and all seems well.

It seems that these maplets, once loaded, cannot be unloaded. That is, I can't get them to stop showing up on the map! For example, I've got 3 benchmark mlps and 1 cache mlp. I'd like to be able to turn off the benchmark mlp so that only the caches show up. I try to use the "Choose Map" feature to deselect the files I don't want to show up. However, they still appear on the map. When i bring up the Choose Map again, the maplets are highlighted again. I don't have this issue with individual maps, and I've made sure the "Load in Memory" feature is not checked. Any thoughts?

PS: I'm using the latest version, v4.41 on PPC2003

CacheCreatures...

I've got the same version of Mapopolis and I've been experiencing the same problem.

The only workaround that has worked for me was to rename the unwanted .mlp files to .mlp_ (any character will do). The trouble is that it needs to be done from the PC since the file extensions are not visible in the PPC File Explorer.

I'm thinking that this could make for a handy little utility <_<

Ok all you Mapopolis pros... I've created a whole bunch of maplets (.mlp) from GPX files using the tool provided by Mapopolis. I've downloaded them to my SD card and all seems well.

It seems that these maplets, once loaded, cannot be unloaded. That is, I can't get them to stop showing up on the map! For example, I've got 3 benchmark mlps and 1 cache mlp. I'd like to be able to turn off the benchmark mlp so that only the caches show up. I try to use the "Choose Map" feature to deselect the files I don't want to show up. However, they still appear on the map. When i bring up the Choose Map again, the maplets are highlighted again. I don't have this issue with individual maps, and I've made sure the "Load in Memory" feature is not checked. Any thoughts?

PS: I'm using the latest version, v4.41 on PPC2003

If you have followed any of the talk about the "greatest and latest" version of Mapopolis you would find that MANY people including myself went back to the previous. They tried to fix a program by putting in a ton of bugs. <_<

The only workaround that has worked for me was to rename the unwanted .mlp files to .mlp_ (any character will do). The trouble is that it needs to be done from the PC since the file extensions are not visible in the PPC File Explorer.

That's one of the reasons I use Total Commander. A freeware file utility that does more than most people care to ever understand. It's a great program for sure...

Whoa you're not kidding. We took 4.41 out today for the first time and while there are 2 things I really love about it (the huge navigation text and the new landmark search feature), there are far more I hate (that awful voice prompt, screen freezing...)

Thanks for the heads up Fabian on the workaround and the utility Rosco. That will solve it, for now.

Now, to find version 4.3...

Ok so I deleted the file and yup, the caches are still there. BUt now that I've deleted it, how do I change the file extension? Do I reload the maplet and will that create 2 sets of each waypoint? (That's something I think I did before by mistake and couldn't figure out how I did it. So where are the files if you delete them and there're still there? I wish I could figure out how to buy something and then find the money's still in my wallet. :)

Another note, I bought the place names license for $25.00 and then was told that the latest Mapopolis program does not work with them. Yet they still allow you to download them under the theory that you can use their older versions. The people at Mapopolis are really wierd! They are really trying very hard to screw up a basically good product.

ALan

I may be a slow witted dunce here, but I have to ask. I went to mapopolis.com to check this program out and downloaded the app. It says it was version 1.22 or some such thing.

Where are these versions 4.3 and so forth coming from? I'm curious since I tried to create a maplet, but it won't let me load it to the pda saying that I don't have a program that will open that file type.

Am I missing something here, or is it just the fact that I'm using a free version of the software?

Perrin,

If I remember right, you're on a Palm. v4.33, v4.41 ect... refers to the Pocket PC version. From what I've heard, they are two very different applications.

Alan,

If I had to guess, I'd bet you checked "Load in Memory". This basically opens the file once for copying into memory, and doesn't look at it again. So, your deletion of the file wouldn't have any effect since all the data is resident in memory.

The only way I found to get rid of that problem is to perform a soft reset. That should clear out all "working" memory and thus remove the marks from the map.

Since you deleted the file (not just unhighlighted it) from your handheld, you'll need to reload it next time you sync.

Creature: I tried a soft restart but it didn't work so I reloaded Mapopolis and that cleared it out.

Where's the check box that loads into memory? I can't find it. I transfer the file into my SD card by copying and pasting in my PC. I didn't sync.

Tks

Alan

Alan,

You can find the "Load in Memory" option within a pop up menu that appears when you tap and hold a map on the "Tools->Choose Map" screen. I'm thinking the soft reset didn't work because the software remembered you had this checked, so when you reloaded after the reset, it loaded them back into memory. This is just a total guess on my part though.

I too use an external drive for my SD card. Sooo much faster :D

Hope that helps!

Trippy: Yes my personal landmarks are allowed to be saved in one of the caching subcategories: ie SIngle, Multiple, etc. wihout this caching maplet, how do you save a personal landmark? Right now I only have the caching folders as an option.

And like you, when you delete that file, you lose your personal landmarks.

Alan