Are Sensors Really Necessary?

I am sure this has been covered before, but are the electronic compass and altimeter necessary?

It seems to me that if you are going to a known point (point B ) from point A the gps will tell you the bearing of point B in relation to you. Then, if you just start walking, it will detect your movement and give you an arrow to go to get to point be even if you start walking in exactly the wrong direction.

Maybe I am missing something and ya'll can fill me in on what I am missing.

See ya later,

CenTex

Edited by CenTexDodger

You're completely right. I have a Meridian Gold with no compass, and I sure don't miss it. My friend has a Platinum with a compass, and he doesnt really use it. I always carry a regular compass anyway. People who have the compass like it, and people who don't, dont miss it. Overall, its DEFINITELY not a neccessity.

As far as the barometric altimeter is concerned, I've heard that it's more trouble than it's worth. It must be calibrated every hour to be accurate.

If you have a true need to know your altitude with better accuracy, and you're willing to jump through the calibration hoops - then go for it.

People who take them on airliners complain that the pressurized cabins cause false readings there.

Just my 2¢

People who take them on airliners complain that the pressurized cabins cause false readings there.

The false readings in airplane cabins are HUGE. it will show you at 6000 ft, when you are really at 30,000. The GPS altitude is not so bad that you would really want something else, if you are just a rec user. When I hiked yesterday, I was up at around 1700-1800 ft. My topo map showed me about there, and my gps was only off by a small number. It didn't have any significant difference for me.

I have also heard that it's a big pain to calibrate the barometric altemeter.

Sensors are not necessary.

If I'm not mistaken, the original idea behind the barometric altimeter was to provide an altitude reading even if the GPS signal was lost.

The compass was included to allow the user to "shoot an azimuth".

From a stationary camp, the barometer doesn't need to be calibrated but once and is pretty useful for watching for weather changes.

Being a hunter and fisherman - I find the tidal predictions and sunrise/sunset calculations to very useful.

We have a Meridian Platinum with both compass and barometer. We very seldom use them.

The problem with the compass is it needs to be recalibrated with every battery change. I'll stick with a handheld compass.

Haven't found much use for the barometer. If you spend enough time outdoors you learn to pay attention to weather changes such as a major change in the direction air movements.

I really like the Platinum, but would not miss the compass or barometer.

John

For general compass readings (which most people do anyway), I have found that a calibration on each battery change isn't really necessary. I only do it when it's obviously out of whack.

I'm a klutz by nature so I frequently use the electronic compass for directional usage rather than trying to hold onto two different devices. I also use the thermometer and the barometer for watching the weather. Couple that with the NOAA weather channels on my FRS and I have an excellent track on the weather during my hikes.

What is really handy about having the electronic compass on the MeriPlat is it will provide a bearing on where your target might be when you are under 100 feet which is the max close-up resolution of today's receivers.

A perfect example was for a cache that I located today. The summit was maybe 100 feet across and I was within 30 feet of the target. The onboard electronic compass not only provided the direction I needed to look by providing a bearing to the target when it was selected as a GOTO waypoint, but with the provided EPE, I was able to narrow my search and locate the cache within 10 minutes. The compass isn't dependent upon movement so standing to get a bearing reading is extremely handy.

What is really handy about having the electronic compass on the MeriPlat is it will provide a bearing on where your target might be when you are under 100 feet which is the max close-up resolution of today's receivers.

I don't quite get what you are saying. The ONLY difference I have ever noticed between a built in compass, and not, is that with one, you have to be moving. Other than that, they are just as accurate than the other one. My GPS gives me the EPE, and points me exactly in the direction of the cache, down to the end.

The false readings in airplane cabins are HUGE. it will show you at 6000 ft, when you are really at 30,000. The GPS altitude is not so bad that you would really want something else, if you are just a rec user. When I hiked yesterday, I was up at around 1700-1800 ft. My topo map showed me about there, and my gps was only off by a small number. It didn't have any significant difference for me.

I have also heard that it's a big pain to calibrate the barometric altemeter.

Funny! :) The readings are 6k to 8k feet in an airplane, because the cabin is pressurized and the cabin altitude IS 6k to 8k ft. and GPS elevation is more accurate then because that is the ONLY option. Did we expect the gps to read the pressure OUTSIDE the airplane? :)

Anyway, back the the original poster's question. Necessary, no, neither are maps, but I wouldn't buy another gps w/o mapping either.

I love the electronic compass feature as it allows you to take readings to the cache w/o moving around aimlessly and without having to get out another compass. Necessary, no, but very handy.

I will agree with other posters who state the barametric altimeter feature is not needed. I don't do anything where the gps altitude wouldn't suffice. I actually found while flying that the gps altitude vs. cabin altitude was interesting, not faulty. The only other thing I sometimes watch is the stationary barametric pressure change while backcountry canoeing as it let's me know if a front is coming through.

Good Luck.

Edited by Us 5 Camp
Funny! The readings are 6k to 8k feet in an airplane, because the cabin is pressurized and the cabin altitude IS 6k to 8k ft. and GPS elevation is more accurate then because that is the ONLY option. Did we expect the gps to read the pressure OUTSIDE the airplane?

Of course. I know it's because the cabin is pressurized at that amount. I was just stating that it wasnt just some small inaccuracy. It was quite substantial, and shouldn't be relied on AT ALL.

I don't quite get what you are saying. The ONLY difference I have ever noticed between a built in compass, and not, is that with one, you have to be moving. Other than that, they are just as accurate than the other one. My GPS gives me the EPE, and points me exactly in the direction of the cache, down to the end.

There are many differences between the two. Advantages of the floating compass (which is why people carry a separate compass from their GPS) are as follows:

The movement dependent compass is not as accurate as the floating compass by its very nature. You have to have enough movement for the GPS to calculate in order to get an accurate reading. If you walk 3-6 feet, you may or may not get a good compass bearing. The floating compass does not require that.

Where a movement based compass will have to move to get a directional reading... A floating compass can stand in one spot and get a directional reading. It is also pointing in the direction of waypoint when set as a GOTO no matter which direction I turn.

If you stand in onen place and turn 180° you will be 180° off. The floating compass will show your current bearing.

If you lose GPS signal, you lose the compass capability. The floating compass you do not.

In consideration to the movement based compass, you become conspiquous when you have people about and you are pacing back and forth just to get a bearing. With a floating compass, you become more discreet.

My point being I was able to stand in one location, with the estimated distance provided and taking the EPE into consideration, look at the very location of where the cache was at. A lot of times you don't need that. But when the hint basically describes every little niche in that particular area... it is handier than you think.

Edited by TotemLake

Okay. So it seems, that the coolest part about the compass is that, even if you lose GPS reception, the compass still works, and would still point you towards the waypoint. Other than that, your reply seemed to restate that with one type, you need to move, and with the other, you don't.

I switched from a Legend to a Vista when I had trouble positioning my boat over fishing structure that I had already marked.

Here's the problem: When going slow, the current, wind or waves may move the boat in some direction other than forward. When this happens a GPS without an electronic compass gets confused on which direction is forward. The same thing can happen when looking for a cache. If you stand still for a moment, satellite drift can cause your surroundings (including the cache) to spin.

If you are a Fisherman, you should try the barometer. You can sit down and wait until the pressure starts to go up, then it is your time to offer the hook for the fish. You'll see IT WORKS every time !! For this usage, you do not need to re-calibrate the thing, you are not interested about the 'correct values' but the changes.

I Phish. :)

Plus because I am a klutz, holding onto one device that handles it all is better than having two devices in hand and chancing dropping one or both of them.

Yeah, that would definitely be a help. I just get around that by not using a compass. I just wander aimlessly in circles. :)

Hey ya'll

Thanks for your great responses! I had no idea all the uses for GPS and and the optional sensors. I am torn between the 60c and the 60cs. I am probably going to get the 60cs because I have the opportunity to go ahead and get a good unit right now, and so I am going to do so. I can always turn them off if I don't use them, or to conserve battery life.

thanks,

CenTex

Funny! The readings are 6k to 8k feet in an airplane, because the cabin is pressurized and the cabin altitude IS 6k to 8k ft. and GPS elevation is more accurate then because that is the ONLY option. Did we expect the gps to read the pressure OUTSIDE the airplane?

Of course. I know it's because the cabin is pressurized at that amount. I was just stating that it wasnt just some small inaccuracy. It was quite substantial, and shouldn't be relied on AT ALL.

I was playing around with the altitude page on my 60CS driving down an interstate and I noticed that switching to recirculated air was good for 25 feet elevation gain (lower pressure). Cracking my window sucks even more: 50 feet gain. :rolleyes:

edit: clarity

Edited by mochalatte