Inaccessable Caches

Spoo

On Jan 01 of this year I went looking for a cache near a pond. Due to heavy rains and warmth, I found the entire area had been flooded and re-frozen. The cache was all but destroyed. The owner has yet to acknowledge my report of this fact.

Today, I went to another cache near a pond and found the area so flooded that I could not get within 0.3 miles of the cache.

I think people should know the seasonal influence of their caches and post appropriate notices or warnings before someone drives 100 miles to a total disappointment.

What do you think? Am I just being a wussy?

Edited by Spoo

Some sort of info from the cache owner would be appreciated. Sounds like a simple request for some obviously affected caches like the ones you've dealt with. This way you can decide whether to still go for it, or maybe give it a go another time. I guess the best you can do for now is post a clear note on the log as a DNF and let that be a warning for some future cachers.

I have a cache that gets flooded seasonally. I mentioned the fact on the cache page, to give cachers a heads up. Still, some higly motivated people will attempt anything regardless of the conditions. The trick is knowing when finding the cache isn't worth the trouble. It's supposed to be fun. The minute caching feels like work, I stop looking and head to the next one. <_<

Some sort of info from the cache owner would be appreciated. Sounds like a simple request for some obviously affected caches like the ones you've dealt with. This way you can decide whether to still go for it, or maybe give it a go another time. I guess the best you can do for now is post a clear note on the log as a DNF and let that be a warning for some future cachers.

Yes. Agreed. Common courtesy. I posted a warning on my DNF today and had outlined the probs on Jan 01. I think I am more irratated that the owner of the Jan site has not acknowledged the problem or posted any notice at all.

Here in Northern Utah 75% of the caches are under 2-10 feet of snow We just live with it.

Snow is NOT the same as 32 degree water. I am in Maine. This is snow country also. I can deal with deep snow and freezing temps, but wading waste deep in freezing water is another matter.

It would be nice to have guarantees but, let's face it, the only certainty in life is death.

Better luck next time! <_<:mad:

Death is not a certainty. Just because every other person dies it does not mean you will too. You may be that medical miracle that lives forever.

I know I'm going to live forever. If I'm wrong, at least I won't have to hear anyone say "I told you so".

I found two caches today in flood prone areas that I had to walk through to get to the cache locations. In both cases, the cache was in a spot not prone to flooding. While there was no standing water in those areas, the signs were obvious. They were both next rivers (which pop out of thier banks repeatedly every year) and I could see debis such as sticks, branches, and grass piled up on the "upstream" side of the flow of water when the flooding happens. Also, the ground in those areas are swept clean of any vegetation of the nature of grass, low ground cover plants, and the like. Those are signs to learn to look for when placing a cache, especially if you want lots of people to find them.

It would be nice to have guarantees but, let's face it, the only certainty in life is death. 

Better luck next time! :mad:  <_<

Actually, I once heard that the increase in world population is so great that if you look at the total number of people that were ever born all throughout history, half of that number would represent the present population of the world.

That means that you only have a 50/50 chance of dying.

I think this is what's known as "fuzzy logic", but it sounds good to me.

RichardMoore

Edited by RichardMoore

I hid one today that hasn't been approved yet. It's in an open space that is near a creek. We made an effort to place it faaaaar back from the creek to avoid flood problems and we think we found a great spot. But upon placing the cache, we made a deal that one of us would go back and check on the cache after any large snowfalls or heavy rains to make sure it was still okay. Since the cache is in a Tupperware, we want to make sure the cache isn't ruined for other people by heavy rain or snow.

If you're going to place a cache in area you know may get heavy rain or snow, then I think you should make an effort to do a little more maintenence on the cache since it could be damaged easily. <_<

Just my .02!

I was the third person to try that cache today! I didn't even get as close as you did. The other group not only found it, but found 8 other caches today. After reading their log, I was glad I gave up without taking the risks they took.

I think you were very smart to know when to turn back.

But, I don't think cache owners should be required to post warnings for a few reasons.

First, risk assesment is not simple. Thoday's hunt for this cache is a good example. Three of us went off to look for the same cache and my risk tolerance ended before your's. The other group was willing to take a much higher risk. How can a cache owner know what risk level is right for someone they don't know. Only the individual cacher can know.

Second, even when warnings are posted, it is very difficult for the other cacher to fully understand what the risks are. There is no formal code that can be perfectly understood by everybody. If cache owner had said "there is a lot of water and ice around, be carefull" I would have gone to look anyway.

Third, conditions change drastically, especially here in Maine. Last week, there was three feet of snow on the ground. Now, it almost gone. I would hate to have to update my caches on a weekly basis.

No matter what is said, it can be misunderstood and be out of date. Let the cacher beware!

I think people should know the seasonal influence of their caches and post appropriate notices or warnings before someone drives 100 miles to a total disappointment.

I have a few caches located along a river so I put a link to the local river gaging station so anyone can check the current and predicted water levels. I also provide the level that will impact the cache or the trail to the cache.

I also add a link to the National Weather Service to provide the current local conditions and the ten day forecast.

Wapi-hanne

Kikthawenund

Fishin’ Hole

I have a few caches located along a river so I put a link to the local river gaging station so anyone can check the current and predicted water levels. I also provide the level that will impact the cache or the trail to the cache.

I also add a link to the National Weather Service to provide the current local conditions and the ten day forecast.

Wapi-hanne

Kikthawenund

Fishin’ Hole

wow. that's ambitious.

i always assume that there might be some circumstance i didn't count on if the dificulty or terrain is above 2.

a difficulty of 4 with only a short hike alerts me that there WILL be swimming, wading, freezing, tree climbing, or some other such nonsense just short of needing scuba gear, a climbing harness, or explosives.

if i can walk right up to it, i count myself lucky and move on. quickly.