Does The 60c Make Geocaching Too Easy?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 60C. I use it every day and have no complaints about this new toy. One thing though. I find it works a bit too good when out Geocaching. I find the autorouting works fantastic, however it eiminates the guesswork out of finding the right path to the cache. I kinda miss the days when I took a wrong road, had to backtrack etc. It gave me a sense of accomplishment that is no gone because the 60C will always bring me on the right road. I think I'm gonna use it in off road a bit more when I go Geocaching....

That may be for the people that have never had a laptop in the vehicle with them. I have a 60C and love the fact that I don't always have to tote the laptop along. I have been accused of "making it to easy" but with the price of gas now moving toward $2.00 here I am all over the quickest way to a cache. Of course the 60C gets you there faster but I have been skunked with it also. Just my 2 cents.

I use a PocketPC with mapopolis and on a good cache run day, it DOES make it seem like cheating. :mad:

that being said, i can get more enjoyment out of the day by eliminating the guesswork of finding parks, etc. I can score more finds, and maybe set a new personal record or goal, plus save on gas and time.

My CS will be here this week and I've ordered City Select as well. I'll be able to use one unit instead of using my PocketPC as well. It'll be nice. <_<

price of gas now moving toward $2.00

Geezus! Where do you live? I just paid $2.40 and was happy to do it. Other Bay Area stations have topped $2.50.

My CS will be here this week and I've ordered City Select as well

Just curious, but why not use the PocketPC as a GPS too? Perhaps via a Bluetooth or CF GPS unit? It's what we use and, barring the few odd software glitches we've had lately, its been basically the perfect setup. The only problem is protecting the thing. No one makes a case for an Axim with a CF GPS (other than the Otter Box which is just to big to hike with).

. I find the autorouting works fantastic, however it eliminates the guesswork out of finding the right path to the cache.

For the most part, I can agree with you. However, there are definitely those cache locations that the autorouting just won't know how to handle. Like those that are just 400 feet off a freeway and the autorouter tells you to arrive at destination as your speeding 70mph down the road?

For us, the fun of a cache is actually getting out and walking to our destination. The faster we can figure out how/where to park, the sooner we can get out with our pup and start the trek.

Oh, and can't ya turn off the autorouting? We've done that just to spice things up once in a while. Follow the swinging arrow... <_<

I have a GPS V and I've only geocached with that unit. Getting there is normally not a concern other then, as another mentioned, it has you whipping by the highway. You still need to have an idea how to get there and re-calculating the route does wonders to have your brain over-ride the initial calculated route.

I actually wondered how folks without auto-routing to get their destinations. Do they plan ahead of time? carry maps with them? Plot out a route at home using MapSource, Street Atlas, etc?

I think we have the best unit - autorouting and portable. I'd likely get a 60C if my V needed to be replaced.

I actually wondered how folks without auto-routing to get their destinations. Do they plan ahead of time? carry maps with them? Plot out a route at home using MapSource, Street Atlas, etc?

I think we have the best unit - autorouting and portable. I'd likely get a 60C if my V needed to be replaced.

I just got a 60c and city select will arrive by tuesday. I can't wait to have auto routing. Until recently I used a yellow etrex. As far as figuring out where I was going, I had to plan ahead. If I was going to an unfamiliar area, I would print out maps, or at least look at them and maybe jot a few notes onto my cache printout. Time consuming, yes, however I had followed the spinning arrow before, and it doesn't always make for an easy arrival.

For me the fun of geocaching is from the car to the cache. I don't mind having help getting to where my hike starts. I would prefer to spend more time on the trail, and less behind the wheel.

I use a Meridian Gold and Direct Route, and it has definitely taken the guess work out of where the cache is hidden and how to get there. It's a lot less frustrating, and being a poor college student, with gas around $2.30-2.60, I think I will stick with it. Otherwise I wont be able to go caching at all! If you go after caches that require a long hike, it wouldnt make too much of a difference though.

Im getting my City Select kit for my 60C this week.

It is an excellent unit, and with the high gas prices, it will help.

I remember in the early days of caching, driving blind around and around areas, till I found a park entrance, Like the small community parks can be a challenge to find.

Edited by GOT GPS?