Original Stash Tribute Plaque

ghOzt

Looking at the plaque that has been placed in honor of the very first "stash," I noticed that the entire top half of its face displays the geocaching.com trademark. I don't mean to take anything away from the efforts of this website towards the development and improvement of geocaching, but the plaque supposedly commemorates the game, not the company.

Why was the GC.com logo and name included on the plaque?

The final design and logo on the Plaque were agreed upon by the majority of the geocachers who contributed funds to the project and helped to make it a reality. The website address on the Plaque serves as a way of contacting me should the landowners ever decide that it needs to be removed or in need of maintenance. Even Dave Ulmer seemed pleased with the Plaque:

2022877_600.JPG

Edited by TEAM 360
The final design and logo on the Plaque were agreed upon by the majority of the geocachers who contributed funds to the project and helped to make it a reality. The website address on the Plaque serves as a way of contacting me should the landowners ever decide that it needs to be removed or in need of maintenance. Even Dave Ulmer seemed pleased with the Plaque:

It is such a nice plaque. What do you call that, anyway, where the background is dark and the letters are polished? It is the style used by Texas for its historical markers. Holds up really well and just looks sharp IMO.

Thanks for the comments on the Original Stash Tribute Plaque...it was cast in solid bronze, and the background had a baked-on finish...most of that was washed away within a few weeks, however, laying flat and being exposed to the Portland weather. It has been developing a nice patina finish these days and doesn't look too bad. I am planning a CITO event on the anniversary of geocaching at the Plaque site, where I will give it a good cleanup and place a weatherproof and camo cover over it (which I should have done in the first place).

I agree that it looks fine as is. If and when people hear the word Geocaching, and it interests them, they'll google it, and find geocaching.com. And really, though, even though the logo is copyrighted, it's come to represent the sport, and I don't think anyone really thinks of it as the logo of a copy, but more as the logo of a sport...

Finally, I'd like to recognize your final question....

Geocaching seems to be what the sport is formerly recognized as, how many people do you hear saying they're going stash hunting, or navicaching?

Looking at the plaque that has been placed in honor of the very first "stash," I noticed that the entire top half of its face displays the geocaching.com trademark. I don't mean to take anything away from the efforts of this website towards the development and improvement of geocaching, but the plaque supposedly commemorates the game, not the company.

Is this a sock puppet comment or is this truly an active member?

I certainly never meant to imply with my post that the plaque should be changed or that the creators of it didn't do a great job. It just seemed curious to me that the GC.com logo is so prominently displayed on it when considering that GC.com is completely unrelated to that first "stash." After realizing that the plaque was created and placed by regular geocachers and not by geocaching.com, though, I'm sorry for being critical of it. It's a great tribute that I hope to visit someday.

Just curious, what is the "universal Gx logo for geocaching" that Renegade Knight referred to?