Win98 Problem With Mapsource

Ok,

Need to draw upon the vast experience of the group here.

Have not been able to make a desktop PC running Win98 to communicate with the Vista. There is NO Palm pilot or other device running on the computer, the Com port appears to be working when you check in the system and troubleshoot it.

Auto detect does not seem to find the GPS sitting on the seriel port. Finally gave up and loaded the maps from another computer using WinXP, worked fine.

Need some advice here on what to look for, likely is a simple fix, but darn if I know what needs to be done.

Thanks all.

Pete

I use Mapsource on a Win98 machine and it works fine with my Vista. So it isn't impossible. Here's a few suggestions to try.

First - Does your machine have two serial ports. Many computers have one in the front and one in the back. If you have two try using the other port.

Second - In MapSource: Make sure that your save to GPSr feature is set to serial. Do this by hovering over the image of the GPS V like icon with a blue arrow pointing toward the GPSr. The pop-up should say "Save To Serial GPS". If it does not, click the pull down arrow on the right side of this icon. NOTE: MapSource will only let you change the setting if you have at least one track, route, waypoint or Map selected.

Third - In MapSource: Select "Tools" => "Get Unit ID..." then set the "AutoDetect..." button with your unit attached.

Ok folks,

Thanks for the advice, just for the record I should have stated that the GPS was on, it was set to Garmin, and the serial port was selected.

Turns out that it was a com port problem, software configuration that was resolved by Mariner. But as of yet I do not know how he resolved it as I was not there when he fixed it.

Once I understand it, I will make sure it is posted so others can find it also. Thanks again everyone.

Pete

I also have win 98 running and use a USB for my Garmin 60c and my digital camera. I notice that sometimes the PC does not recognize the device and acts as if it does not have a USB port. So I re-boot the machine and leave the device (camera or gps) on while re-booting. It works.