What's the best PDA for geocaching?

robotman

I'm learning more and more about all the fun gadgets and software you can get to help you with geocaching.

I have now figured out how to get a GPX file doing a pocket query which looks like it basically sends you the cache pages for the caches you request, but I'm not sure what PDA to use to read these files.

Any suggestions? Is there a good site comparing different PDAs? I know very little about them.

Thanks.

The Robot Family

Thats a loaded question, I use a iPaq 3800 series and love it. Others will tell you to get a Palm or the Dell. Goto a store and try as many as you can to see which feels best for you. I like the screen of the 3800 series (transreflective) looks real good in full sunlight (not washed out)

"We never seek things for themselves - what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I guess I'm such a newbie to PDAs that I'd be interested just to know what people use PDAs for and which ones they like. It's a little overwhelming with all the choices there are. The only function I currently know I'd use is to read the GPX files.

What else do people use their PDAs for? What models are good for what?

If I just want to use it to read Geocaching GPX info, I'd guess I'd only need a lower end model.

Anyways... any input and information would be great. I know it's a broad topic!

Thanks.

The Robot Family

If you are only going to use the PDA for storing cache pages, get a low end one. You can probably get a Palm IIIxe for about $50 on eBay. The IIIxe is more than you will need for geocaching, but you may start to like it as an electronic datebook and contact organizer.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I use a Palm Zire, which is just a 2MB M150. You should be able to find them new for $75-$100. I had not used a PDA before, so I wanted to start small, and also not worry about carrying a huge investment on the trails. The Zire is sold as a glorified address book, but seems to be perfect for Geocaching.

I originally set up my pocket queries to send eBooks, and viewed them in the MobiPocket reader. It works great, but Mobi is a bit of a memory hog, and really pushes the limits of the 16MHz Dragonball pocessor in the Zire.

Lately, I've been using CacheMate. It is Maeglin's new Geocaching database app, which stores information about caches/benchmarks, decodes hints, and transfers data to the Palm MemoPad application. Registered users can import LOC and GPX formatted XML files, but for six bucks, you can't beat it! Unlike the MobiPocket reader, CacheMate is more than just a reference tool, it's a cache 'journal' database, and you can record the details of your hunt while out in the field.

57027_1500.gif

I use an iPAQ 3800 too. Aside from downloading the weekly cache search, I use the calculator for multistage caches and I have a Navman GPS3420 Voice navagation system which has a built in antenna and slides on as a sleeve onto the iPAQ. I started to worry about carrying it in the woods, so bought a Garmin Gecko 101. The iPAQ gets me to the spot and shows the area but I haven't figured out if it can mark waypoints, so I use the Gecko once I get out of the car. I'm sure there are GPS models that do both, but I bought the iPAQ for school, then got the Navman sleeve before I learned about geocaching.

Since bartacus brought up software...I really like using gpx2html, along with Plucker.

Fizzymagic's gpx2html takes the GPX file you get from your pocket query, and creates a set of indexed cache pages in html format. Plucker then takes these pages and puts them on your Palm (or if you are running PPC, you can just copy the html to your pda to be read with your browser). The really nice thing is the index that gpx2html creates. The index can list your caches sorted by name, ID (forward or reverse sorted), or distance from locations you specify (VERY handy). It also can display only caches with TB's or those that haven't been found yet.

homer.gif

I've got a iPAQ 3950 and like it ok. HP/Compaq has been nothing but a thorn. The first one never read my SD card right. They ultimatly sent me a new one (after 4 months of working with them). The new one has a bad pixel near the middle of the screen so I sent that one in and they looked at it and told me it's fine and meets engineering specks.

So nice as it is, HP won't stand behind their products nor will they make sure they do the right thing for their overpriced PDA's.

Now in the interim I got a Dell Axim and guess what? It's not as sleek as the iPAQ but it actually works and has more features and costs substantially less.

So Pocket PC, Yes. Use GPX View for your GPX files. Pocket S&T for your urban caches and you have about 90% of the caches coverd.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Thanks for all the info!

I'm a little reluctant to spend too much money on anything since I don't know what extent I'll use it other than geocaching. We're going on a trip to Europe this summer, so having something that can do streets would be nice, but again, I don't want to spend a lot on something I may not use too much (who does?!).

The GPX2HTML program is pretty nice. I kinda get how Plucker would work with the PDA now.

Anyways... if anyone else has more opinions or suggestions, keep them coming. Everything is really helpful!

Thanks to everyone!

The Robot Family

Well Iw ould suggest getting an m125 Palm or a Dell Axim. The 125 you can find for $125 on sale and its got 8mb and will take an SD memory card. The Axim is a PocketPC and is priced exceptionally well and its a very nice unit, one of its biggest pluses is that it has dual card ports ( 1 SD 1 CF ).

The 125 is cheap enough to take caching and not worry about loosing or breaking it. I would sweet the Axim a little more but again, with its price and options its very hard to beat.

-Robert

I have a Palm M130. I primarily used it for my job hunting appointment tracking which REALLY underutilized it icon_rolleyes.gif, but I did find that the Outlook Notes would synchronize as a Memo on the Palm. So, instead of carrying around printed sheets, I copy all cache tips that interest me in the Outlook Notes then synch it to the Palm Memo. I keep track by starting with the Cache number GC### and the Cache name followed by UTM coordinates in case I need a little bit more accuracy, then follow that with the rest of the page tips (minus the I Found It comments) and if any photos are involved, I copy those over as well... Not that I've had to use them yet. The MeriPlat is being very good at zeroing in on the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

TL

I bought a Handspring Visor Deluxe off ebay for $40. It works great using the Spinner and Plucker programs. IMHO, Plucker is much better than MobiPocket. For example, the html cache pages in Plucker include a DIRECT link to the hint. No more searhing through the Hint Index for me! icon_smile.gif

I just convert all my .gpx files into one Spinner.gpx file. I then update my Plucker geocaching channel and then I use EasyGPS to load all the Spinner.gpx waypoints onto my gps. My only complaint is that the Spinner program somehow fails to make all the symbols Geocache. It's easily solved by editing the .gpx file using wordpad, but it's still a pain.

I have it set up so that Geocaching.com will send my Pocket Queries to me on Friday morning, so that I can be updated for a weekend of caching.

--CoronaKid

To fix GPX Spinner so it changes your symbols to Geocache all you have to do is edit the GPX Spinner.ini file in the GPX Spinner directory. It's usually at C:Program FilesGPX SpinnerGPX Spinner.ini

There is a section that defines the symbols to be used. All you have to do is change them to Geocache.

There are many other settings you can change too. They are documented in the file.

As far as what I have, I'm using a Palm m515 with GPX Spinner, ClayJar's GPX Watcher and Plucker. I used to use MobiPocket, but I wasn't happy with it. After setting up these programs, I deleted all the MobiPocket files. Many thanks to Lil Devil, ClayJar and the Plucker developers.

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

To fix GPX Spinner so it changes your symbols to Geocache all you have to do is edit the GPX Spinner.ini file in the GPX Spinner directory. It's usually at C:Program FilesGPX SpinnerGPX Spinner.ini

There is a section that defines the symbols to be used. All you have to do is change them to Geocache.

There are many other settings you can change too. They are documented in the file.

As far as what I have, I'm using a Palm m515 with GPX Spinner, ClayJar's GPX Watcher and Plucker. I used to use MobiPocket, but I wasn't happy with it. After setting up these programs, I deleted all the MobiPocket files. Many thanks to Lil Devil, ClayJar and the Plucker developers.

Thanks! Actually, after reading the .ini file, I decided to keep it just the way it is. I didn't realize that using different symbols is a great way to designate different types of caches.

It's nice knowing that there is some logic to the different symbols. I just thought it was a glitch. Thanks again!

--CoronaKid

Originally posted by Stunod:

If you are only going to use the PDA for storing cache pages, get a low end one. You can probably get a Palm IIIxe for about $50 on eBay. The IIIxe is more than you will need for geocaching, but you may start to like it as an electronic datebook and contact organizer.

QUOTE]

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about getting a PDA and was reading through this thread. Read Stunod's advice, did a search on eBay, found a Palm IIIxe for $50 and now, 2 weeks later, I have entered that next level of geogeekness.

It took quite a while to figure out how to configure the thing, but after several hours of cursing, I managed to get everything to work. I went with the GPX2HTML and Plucker software. I am quite happy with it, so thanks Stunod!

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

GPXview is all you will need for your caches. Just copy the GPS file to the PDA.

If you go palm though, you will need another route to solve the problem.

After working with the letter recognizer on the Pocket PC PDA's I'd not even mess with the block recognizer. Besides, why do they have to have that portion of your screen dedicated?

On the other hand. 50 bucks is hard to beat. It gets you in the door pretty dang cheap.

=====================

Get one that uses real batteries.

The one I'm using now has an internal rechargable battery. It really stinks when the power dies in the field, and you have no way to read the cache pages.

I really like my Palm for geocaching, but the battery issue is really irritating.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Get one that uses real batteries.

The one I'm using now has an internal rechargable battery. It really stinks when the power dies in the field, and you have no way to read the cache pages.

I really like my Palm for geocaching, but the battery issue is really irritating.

George

Get the car adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Charges the internal battery on the go.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:
Originally posted by Stunod:

QUOTE]

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about getting a PDA and was reading through this thread. Read Stunod's advice, did a search on eBay, found a Palm IIIxe for $50 and now, 2 weeks later, I have entered that next level of geogeekness.

It took quite a while to figure out how to configure the thing, but after several hours of cursing, I managed to get everything to work. I went with the GPX2HTML and Plucker software. I am quite happy with it, so thanks Stunod!

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Glad I could help!

homer.gif

Stunod, after reading one of your earlier posts, about Ebay & the Palm IIxe, I got the fever, did a little research, and purchased one for $51 plus shipping. It arrived yesterday so I'm just beginning to learn about its standard features. I'll probably attempt to load some geocache files this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration. geomapper

I cannot speak for Compaq support entirely, as Compaq and HP support for handhelds is still separate at this point. But I am an HP Jornada Service Rep, and HP definately stands behind their products. Try next day Fedex replacement in warranty for most units! HP offers a full one year warranty for hardware and tech support as well. Palm offers a 90 day warranty. $39.99 to even talk to them after that! And let me know what you have to say about Dell support if you ever need to call them (hahaha). If I ever need to call Dell I immediately ask for a supervisor, as not to waste time. Sorry you had a bad experience with your Ipaq, it is sometimes difficult with a third party accessory like a card! I am surprised about the pixel problem as well, HP support would have replaced that asap, no questions asked. The merger will take some time still it seems.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I've got a iPAQ 3950 and like it ok. HP/Compaq has been nothing but a thorn. The first one never read my SD card right. They ultimatly sent me a new one (after 4 months of working with them). The new one has a bad pixel near the middle of the screen so I sent that one in and they looked at it and told me it's fine and meets engineering specks.

So nice as it is, HP won't stand behind their products nor will they make sure they do the right thing for their overpriced PDA's.

Now in the interim I got a Dell Axim and guess what? It's not as sleek as the iPAQ but it actually works and has more features and costs substantially less.

So Pocket PC, Yes. Use GPX View for your GPX files. Pocket S&T for your urban caches and you have about 90% of the caches coverd.

=====================

"The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'Cover for me'. Number two, 'Oh, good idea boss'. Number three, 'It was like that when I got here'."

quote:
Originally posted by twoloosescrews:

with your Ipaq, it is sometimes difficult with a third party accessory like a card! I am surprised about the pixel problem as well

So am I as SanDisk makes the Compaq OEM SD card. You would of been impressed with my HP scanner. I got it home the light flashed they sent me a new one, it din't work they sent me a new one, it didn't work so they sent me another one. The third one they sent and the 4th overall finally worked. These companie should pay me big bucks as a tester. My luck can challenge anything.

=====================