Eagle Explorer Circa 1996

merkong

Hello. I am new to geocaching but have been treasure hunting for years. I own an Eagle Explorer. Certainly an early generation GPS.. Any idea if this will even work? I mean I know new models are easier to use and have all sorts of interface capabilities but any thoughts?

ps I just informed my wife (also a treasure hunter) that we might need to go shopping soon.

Again, thoughts?

Merkong

St Paul, Minnesota

thanks. i appreciate the reply...i'm gonna fire it up tonight and enter a waypoint tomorrow to see if i can find my 1st cache (its not far from my home) we'll see what happens...if no go, i'm looking at the rino 110...

happy caching!!

merkong

ken in st paul

Edited by merkong
thanks. i appreciate the reply...i'm gonna fire it up tonight and enter a waypoint tomorrow to see if i can find my 1st cache (its not far from my home) we'll see what happens...if no go, i'm looking at the rino 110...

And if it does work out, you can just assume that it would have been an even better experience with the Rino and get it anyway.

The eagle explore is a 12 channel gps receiver and will work fine for geocaching. I have the Lowrance gm100 which is similar and have found that it works just fine for this.

Read this review

I also have the eagle expedition2 with is the next up from this unit and it still can lead me right to the cache.

Any 12 channel unit should give you the results you want.

My wife will not let me upgrade when she can see that these 2 units still work fine.

<_<

Edited by gm100guy
The eagle explore is a 12 channel gps receiver and will work fine for geocaching. I have the Lowrance gm100 which is similar and have found that it works just fine for this.

[

<_< I used the Lowrance GN 212 an earlier version of the GN 100 fo almost a year, and found almost 200 caches with it, before getting my Magellan gold.

I gave the 212 to 1 of my grandsons and he still uses it, and about 1/2 the time it shows a little closer then the magellan with waas turned off on the maggy

Edited by vagabond

Well the "Eagle" has landed...3/3 today on my first day of caching...nabbed a travel bug and well, i'm hooked...i'm funny like that...now that my wife knows the Eagle works, i'll have to squirrel away a little here and there and look for the new unit...this "waas" business, this is new technology huh? well, tuesday morning I'm placing my first cache..gotta do my part to keep this incredible sport moving...thanks all...

merkong

I just bought a Lowrance GlobNav 200. I was using a buddy's Garmin 45 which is even older. There is a big difference between the Garmin 45 and the GlobNav 200 but. The difference is in speed and sensitivity. The Garmin 45 is 8 channel sequential and the GlobNav 200 is 12 channel parallel. The GlobNave is quite a bit larger and heavier with a lot more "interfaces" but both work marvelously. You need to be a bit more patient with the Garmin 45.

We started geocaching last September with an Eagle Expedition that we bought around 1996. We found our first 70-75 or so with it. A friend goes caching with us after he bought a new Garmin 72. The Eagle Expedition worked fine but seemed to be not as accurate at the "newer" technology that he had. We purchased two new Magellan's for Christmas and really like those. However, if one of the Magellan's go down.....I wouldn't hesitate to fire up the Expedition. :unsure: