Well I Meant To Go Caching Today But....

quills

I am going to get my permit in three weeks and thus will get my license in 5 months. I am trying to convince my parents to get me a used Jeep Wrangler. How much did you pay?

I hope you get the jeep! I got stuck with a Ponticrap Pheonix when I got my license (I hope I can use that phrase here, if not I apologize and moderators please change it to Pontiac)! Tell your parents how the jeep will further your geocaching hobby and point out how geocaching is not just fun but socially responsible because you do things like pick up trash. That can help! :mad:

You know what, if I ever have a teenage child, I now vow to provide him or her with a good cache mobile!

But hmmm.... Are jeeps safe? Do they have airbags? I could see myself asking those things. Research and be prepared to answer the questions! <_<

Edited by carleenp

Thanks guys I really got tired of not having four wheel drive and when i saw this Jeep I was hooked I'll post pics tommorow when I have enough light to take some pics. I really wasn't looking to get rid of my truck but this was too good a deal to pass up.

I ended up at the car dealer and bought a new cachemobile. It's a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. Pics to come soon. It was too dark to take them when I got home. <_<

Good Choice! Mine, by the way, is White.

I stayed home today because snowmelt and rain found its way into the bottom floor of my house. I had thought about two cache searches and one recon trip for a new hide.

So, instead I read a good book in between shop-vac sessions!

Salvelinus

I am going to get my permit in three weeks and thus will get my license in 5 months. I am trying to convince my parents to get me a used Jeep Wrangler. How much did you pay?

Had a Jeep picked out for my son last week when he got his license (he's 17). Called the insurance company, they wanted three times the premiums than for a car. Something about teen males and accidents....So he has a more practical Honda Civic instead. He could have gotten a better rate if he was married, otherwise he's pretty well sc***ed till he's 25. It would have helped if he were an honors students, but we won't go there! <_<

States are different too, I have a friend in Colorado whose son has had a Jeep since 16 and his premies aren't bad. Hope you get one!

I'm of the view of making your kid earn the money for a car and buy one themselves. I had to and I think I understand the value of one more than the people who got one handed to them by mom and dad. My father said "If you want to drive, buy your own car and pay your insurance- I don't want mine to go up because you are a bad driver." I had some junkers, but learned to take care of them,

I have a Y2K TJ (2000 Wrangler for you non jeepers...lol). It has dual airbags as well. you cna even turn the passenger one off if you like. Jeeps are probably one of the safer vehicles around and you can't beat the quality and resale value. When we replace my wife's Explorer, we will probably look at another jeep. She is talking about a convertible sedan, but with no roll bar, we are not sure. She likes the idea of having a Wrangler. That way she gets a convertible, safety and sportiness too.

Plus in inclimate winter driving, it's hard to beat.

Congrats from another proud Jeep owner. '94' yj 4 cylinder 5 speed with "subtle" modifications. <_<

Everybody warned me against driving it in winter - have NO clue why. One of the worst winters yet, and it was a dream to drive. Added 2 70lb. sandbags in the back, and I only used the 4 wheel drive a few short times. Hauled firewood in deep snow; no sweat.

Looking for 4x4 caches to do soon. Hey Quills, hopefully see ya in may at the Kardiass Spring Fling

Edited by Captain Chaoss
I want a Land Rover. :mad:

I looked at the Rovers. They're neat, but very expensive to repair, and amazingly enough, not as reliable as a Jeep. Now THAT'S scary. <_<

I came real close to buying a 72 Toyota Land Cruiser on eBay a few weeks back. The gas mileage (11/16) and the fact it had a top speed of 50 MPH changed my mind. :)

Looks like I'll have to keep saving my pennies for a Honda Element.

Well, hiked a bit the last few days so later this afternoon it's just gonna be drive-ups.

I'm in NorCal, and most 'real' caches (yes, flame away) are up on hills. I saw a fellow practicing with something I've thought about before - a paraglider.

Now, a hang-glider has a fixed frame and is pretty much like a big kite you strap yourself into. To go hanggliding you pretty much need something and someway to drive to the top of your target hill. (a great way to turn those 2K elevation caches into drive-ups!) Hang gliders are expensive and not all that portable.

But Paragliders. They are non-rigid thingies that look like rectangular parachutes. They fit into a pack that (i'm told) weighs about 40-50 pounds and you can walk to the top of your target hill carrying it, assuming you are up to such a task. I saw someone practicing on a fairly low hill, and I think (again, 2nd hand) that should the wind be right you can even ascend using one. They're cheaper than a hang glider, and assuming you can fit one into a pack, it follows you don't need a roof rack for it.

Wouldn't that be a cool cache vehicle! 2K elevation needed? You bust out your paraglider, catch some wind and sail up to the cache. W00T!

disclaimer: I don't really know anything about what I'm talking about, and don't care so don't bother making fun 'cause it won't take. Should anyone happen by who does these sorts of things, I would like to hear what they have to say.

I want a Land Rover. :mad:

I've seen a soft top swb, roll over at over 40mph on a army (UK) off road course that included tank obstacles, land back on its wheels and drive away with nothing wrong. Mind you the driver was a "scouser" from Liverpool <_<. What more can you ask of a vehicle, than survive one of the lads from Liverpool driving :), hint see my user name for a clue.

Dave

Had a Jeep picked out for my son last week when he got his license (he's 17). Called the insurance company, they wanted three times the premiums than for a car. Something about teen males and accidents....So he has a more practical Honda Civic instead. He could have gotten a better rate if he was married, otherwise he's pretty well sc***ed till he's 25. It would have helped if he were an honors students, but we won't go there! :)

States are different too, I have a friend in Colorado whose son has had a Jeep since 16 and his premies aren't bad. Hope you get one!

Yeah insurance is a lot here. I am an honors student, eagle scout and have taken drivers ed and will be in behind the wheel in about a month. All of the above are deducable from insurance and they tell me my rate will be $200 a month in a regular junker car even under my parents policy. Good thing is in my state a group of people are sueing the insurance companys about this on the grounds that it is unconstitutional and discrimination on the basis of sex and age. They also brought up the point that the law requires us to have insurance so the law should protect us from outrageous rates.

BTW: Where I live you cannot get a job until you are 16. Also for many jobs you must prove that you can drive and you have a car. That makes for a problem in getting the $ to buy the car.

You need $ to get car - You need Job to get $ - You need to have a car to get a Job...

I cache in style with a Buick Regal. It goes where ever I want to go. Usally to a easy 1/1 :) It does have a power sun roof for when I feel adventurous. I also meant to go caching today but it's our wedding anniversary, so I spent some quality time with the Mrs. shopping. After 17 yrs. a man learns his limitations. :)

What happened to the "US MAIL" sign that usually goes in the rear window of these things?

I've never seen a Landrover with "US MAIL" in the rear window, Jeeps on the other hand...

We bought our Jeep in January after our Civic was, well, crushed (the wife reminds me that I was the one driving, not her...). I wanted to replace it with a Wrangler, but we didn't have the cash. We did find a great deal on a '87 Cherokee though... $1450 (tax/lic. incl.) for the Jeep, a 16" Dager whitewater canoe and an extra set of tires. We couldn't pass it up! (Oh, yeah. It runs like a dream!)

Edit: Typo... aye kant spel :)

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can