Cache Full O' Junk...

Caching is great fun, and I love the thrill of the hunt. I took my sister caching for the first time it was very disheartening to see her face when she opened the container. I felt so sorry for her, but at least we enjoyed the hike together. I was trying to introduce the sport to her 'cause she wanted to get out and exercise her recovering leg. I edited this log, because I didn't want to sound like I was expecting a "treasure", but I've been to some very well maintained caches which were a treat to find.

Edited by Cruz1n4Cache
I can understand how human behavior like this can be frustrating, but it sounds like you're missing the real treasures that geocaching can provide.

<cue John Denver music>

I have to echo that. Haven't done that cache, but the mere fact that Waterboy has been there 3 times over the years tells me it's a great hike.

The real treasure in geocaching is rarely found inside the container.

It looks like the owner just returned to caching after a long absence, so maybe he will fix his cache based on your log. Perhaps you could even offer to help if you are close by?

Yeah, it definitely can be annoying to find a cache full of junk. Unfortunately it is fairly common. On the up side, the fun of the find can make up for that. I suggest that when you find a cache full of junk that you aim to improve the situation for the next finder. For example, take the bad stuff (like the expired coupon) and leave some neat stuff (neat does not have to = expensive). At first blush it isn't really fair to you, but in the end you get to improve a cache and know that others will be better off when they find it! So then, you get to leave knowing that you had fun finding the cache even if you didn't find a good trade and get to know that you did something good for others involved in the sport! <_<

They can be real cheap!!

I just went and did a maintenance visit on a remote cache just to find all the good swag traded for a pinecone and some trash and an old bandana. And a travel bug was taken also.

I'll doubt I'll waste my money on resupplying that cache, it will be there with the log book for the enjoyment of the hike.

I aggree people do not have to be that cheap,sure it is all about going out and enjoying the hunt. My son comes with me and he enjoys caching,but I think if we hit too many with nothing in it that he would loose interest and I don't blame him.Myself as an adult enjoy finding things in there that I can exchange. I have seen a few times where people have left nothing and has taken an item or left a calling card in it's place and I don't think that is right. I believe that if it came right down to it,if there were nothing in the caches it would go down hill fast. You would not be able to keep kids interested in it and there our future even in geocaching. <_<

I used to get worked up about junk in caches but I've accepcepted it now. I only trade items when I'm with my kids but I often trade out junk for new items. I have hopes that an infusion of fresh or higher valued swag will inspire the next cacher.

At least its nice to think it, even if it ain't so.

I just want to be fair and point out that the cache I'm fairly sure Cruz1n4Cache is talking about is a 3.5/3.5 cache that's almost 3yrs old, and started out sparce, with nothing more than a log, a patch, and some sports cards. This is one of those caches you do for the eperience, not the trinkets, IMNHO. It appears to be fairly hostile and rugged terrain, not some place you're bringing the little kids for the toys, anyway.

Edited by Mopar

Most veteran geocachers realize that the fun is in the hunt. Still, I agree its kind of a bummer when you work hard to find a cache and open it to find it filled with slimy green water and dirty and rusty junk.

Also, we have to realize that a lot of people hunt caches with their kids. The kids are expecting a "treasure" and it's kind of sad when you see the disappointment in their eyes when they open the cache and find nothing but garbage. Also, most newbies are expecting a bit more than a rusty key ring, a toy soldier half chewn by the family dog, 37 cents in change and a wet , losing scratch off lottery ticket.

Personally, I still open the cache with a level of anticipation. I'm not expecting to get rich from what I find, but it's always nice when you see a cache filled with interesting and useful items. I don't think anybody would ever complain about that!

Edited by briansnat
Probably a dead horse to beat here, but I love to cache. It is very disheartening to hike in a mile or so to find a container of junk. Found a cache that had old faded patches, a metal ring (like a rusty chain link), and a coupon which expired 3 yrs ago!!!! How cheap can people be? <_<

Well did you upgrade the cache?

I'm about done putting anything in caches unless it's kids toys. What do people expect? Someone to do some shopping for them? If it has a signable logbook I'm a happy camper.

One thing is amazing. almost everbody says they trade up,but almost all caches end up with all junk in them. Wonder how that happens??

one mans junk is another mans treasure!

I am just waiting to find the man that thinks the stuff is treasure, I dont think I will hold my breath,

I know that I have only started taking nice things out of a cache if I really want/need them. I alway leave something even if I have only taken a piece of garbage out of the box that way improving the overall contents. If my daughter is with me she will sometimes pick a toy if there is one and i will leave something extra in the box to compenste for the toy removal.

I just want to be fair and point out that the cache I'm fairly sure Cruz1n4Cache is talking about is a 3.5/3.5 cache that's almost 3yrs old, and started out sparce, with nothing more than a log, a patch, and some sports cards. This is one of those caches you do for the eperience, not the trinkets, IMNHO. It appears to be fairly hostile and rugged terrain, not some place you're bringing the little kids for the toys, anyway.

<_<

I dunno about the rest of you, but I cant imagine bring the kid to a cache thats a mile hike up a mountain full of rattlesnakes like the cache being discussed. So who cares if it's got McToys?

Edited by Mopar

Just curious about this Idea that it all about the hunt. If that is the case then why not allow ONLY virtuals to be placed? No container to fill up with trash, no soggy logbooks, and no geo-litter when it becomes abandoned.

Do we trade up? We usually buy items in the $3 to $5 range for trading. We enjoy finding caches with decent, clean/new items for trade.

John

I like to find some nice things in the cache but in my few finds I can see that isn't reasonable to expect. Caches often start out with neat things but they don't last long. The rule about 'equal or better' trade doesn't seem to happen.

I still go with a couple of nice things to trade up with or just leave something not as nice and don't take anything.

My real thrill is in the find and signing the log.

Forget the economics of looking for something to keep because that doesn't make any sense. I like to have 2-3 new and interesting items that I hope will be above average and trade with an item that I would really like to move to another cache instead of keeping it.

Unfortunately there are times when moving something on would be too embarassing even if the junky item were combined with something else to improve it's appeal.

I'm afraid "what goes around, comes around" is a warning and a rule more need to live by.