need a little help getting started pls

GeoDeZz

Hi everyone, just for the record I eat red meat and my GPS works fine icon_smile.gif

I really love this whole concept of geocaching. A friend bought me an eTrex for my b-day, so I have GPS in hand. I'm a little lost on how to download the coordinates from the web site. I feel once I get going I'll be ok, I know how to mark waypoints etc. I'm just not sure how to start exactly. I'd love to get to know some geocachers, this forum sounds pretty fun to me! Hope someone can help, thanks.

suezz@earthlink.net

Unless you have the interface cable you will need to enter the co ords manually. If you do have the cable go and download Easy GPS (its free) and that will be all you need to get co ords into your GPSr. If you need to enter them see the owners manual here for your model.

Good luck!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

I assume you have the yellow basic etrex. Short version ... go into the setup page of your GPSr (see manual... or download a copy from www.garmin.com if you don't have it) ... and make sure your GPSr is set to the WGS-84 datum and that the format is set to decimal minutes ... or for example N dd mm.mmm ... it probably comes that way ... but check it out to make sure. Then input a coordinate ... or mark a waypoint ... the manual will tell you the procedure ... and just input the coordinate listed for the cache (it has a little pop-up menu for doing that) .... simple as that. Also ... since your are in Colorado ... post an inquiry in the "South and Southwest" section and you'll probably meet some cachers in that area that you could meet up with. Good luck and welcome to Geocaching ... remember ... there's no turning back!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!