How Do I Figure This One Out?

Imajika

I really want to find this cache but I am having some trouble.

I don't want anyone to give me the answer but I would like to know exactly what program/map type/geek tools I need to figure this one out. Can anyone help me here?

THANKS! :o

Math was always my worst subject. I am a computer/caching geek, not a math geek. This cache has been sitting in my 'not found' list for a while and I am sick of seeing it there! :)

Edited by Imajika

Being horrible at math also, my only thought would be to, on a mapping program on the computer, plot the center points, and convert the acres to miles, or something, so you can measure the distance on the mapping program, and just mess with it, until you find 3 points that intersect, or are very close to eachother.

Other than that, I would email the people who have already found it, and ask them for help!

Maybe the name of the cache, Pies Are Square has something to do with it? I know there is that formula, I think it shows the area of a circle, which is PI r squared. You know, PI=3.14, r= radius, and then squared=to the 2nd power. Thats all I got! :)

Edited by SBPhishy

The first step is to find the radius of each circle--the distance from the center to the rim. The formula for that is in the cache name

Area= pi * (radius)2 <--the constant pi (3.14) times the radius squared.

You have the Area and pi, so you solve for the radius using simple arithmetic.

Then you need to plot them on a map, or eye-ball it to see where they should touch. I think the maps at topo zone could help you there.

EDIT:spelling

Edited by GeoWorms

If pi = 3.14 still leaves too much fuzziness in your answer, use this value for pi:

You don't have to use all the decimal places, but 3.14 may be too few. If your calculator or spreadsheet has a built in constant go ahead and use that one.

Another constant you may need is one acre = 43,560 square feet or 4046.856421 sq. meters.

Instead of mapping, you could solve this with straight math. Switch the coordinates to UTM (because everything is in linear meters and a lot easier to calculate distances. After you do the calculations mentioned above, then you have the three radii and the three centers. You also have two unknowns: the easting and northing of the final point. That means you can use Pythagorean's Theorem: A**2 + B**2 = C**2.

A is the difference between the unknown point's easting coordinate and the easting of the center of one of the circles. B is the difference between the northing coordinates. C is the radius of that circle. You can solve for one of the unknown coordinates in terms of the other (A**2 = C**2 - B**2. When you substitute that into the equation using another circle, you get two potential northings and eastings, because you are dealing with squares, and numbers may be plus or minus (essentially on one side of a circle's center or on the other). That's why you have the third circle, because only one of the answers will be the proper radius from the that third center.

I think I am going to have to talk to Jim at the meeting. This one is making my brain hurt. I am going to ask a friend in Texas who is a math genius to help me with it this week. Maybe I can actually find it before the meeting. :mad: I think that's my only hope! <_<

I think I am going to have to talk to Jim at the meeting. This one is making my brain hurt. I am going to ask a friend in Texas who is a math genius to help me with it this week. Maybe I can actually find it before the meeting. :D I think that's my only hope! :)

Now that a bunch of us are "hooked" (and I'm a very long way from Colorado) I'd appreciate it if you would ask "at the meeting" what the author means by "There is one point where all three circles touch". Geometrically speaking, the "point" at which three circles "touch" isn't physically possible. If he means "intersect", that's another story. Or perhaps I slept throught that lecture. :)

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you're into EQOA and photography you certainly have a head for math... just turn it on cuz your smarter than you might believe.

edit for the closing comment

Edited by gallahad