Do Not Move 'em

I saw a posting that another cacher moved one of my caches because he thought it was in a bad location. Now I have to spend time to go find were he put it. :lol: even posted his cooridnates, I suspect he move another one of mine that I did a check on this week, it was about 30 feet from were I place it, he had found it within the past few weeks.

For those cachers that may want to move a cache because you think it is in the wrong place, do not do it, you are not the one who has to maintain it. Just because your GPS may show the coordinates off. Not all GPSr are created equel. :o

The only time we've ever not put a cache back where we found it (that I can remember, anyway) was the time we when looking for a film-can micro hidden in a stump. The description told us it was in the stump of an overturned tree. Couldn't find it.

As I was slogging out of the muck--did I mention wading in knee-deep water and muck to search the stump?--I spied the grey lid of the film can some 30-40'. The cache was slowly floating away!

Well, not knowing where it was supposed to be, we figured we'd tie it to a limb near the stump and email the owner. It was archived shortly afterward because the owner was getting complaints about the sogginess of the area! :) (Crybabies)

Edited by CoyoteRed
This was my frustration written out in letter form.

Read your post. it reminded me that the sameperson found a cache of my with a camera in it, when I checked that one also yesterday it was laying in and open field the camera was missing and most of the contents, I hade it covered with rocks so there aint know way it was the victum of a storm. The same cacher was that last one to find it. Maybe we shuould have away to block certain cachers from seeing certain caches if they do not know how to play with others.

You all have some very good points, the other thing I find very funny is the person that moves your cache always says his gps was right on, so he would move you cache so it will be in the right place.

Please only let the person that made the cache move it.

I share criminal's frustration with my light pole cache. People keep putting it so high up on the pole that I have to go there with a yard stick, jump and knock it down, and then place it at the correct height. Once it was around 12 feet up the pole. I don't even know how someone got it up there that high! The cache page requests that it be placed where it can be easily reached.

Anyway, I'm giving it one more time where I have to fix it and then the next time after that I'll archive it.

i moved one a little. the hider described it as "well-hidden" but i found it about three feet from "well-hidden". where i found it was "right out in plain view", so i tucked it under the (noun) from which i'm pretty sure it had rolled. if the described location clearly does not match where you found it AND the described location has a pretty good approximation that's WITHIN the reasonable range of accuracy, it may be a service to replace it according to the best guess.

for example, if the description or the hints describe it as being in the crack of a really big boulder and you can see only one boulder within 40 feet, but you found it on the ground in the open, it's probably safe to move it back.

if it's described as being under some forest debris, you might have to assume that the box is correctly placed and the cover has been moved.

I've moved two caches, both with good reason, at least i felt it was a good reason. I don't think moving a cache cause your GPS won't narrow to 5 ft at the location is a good reason, the cache owner should recheck the coords, the finder shouldn't move it.

THe first cache i moved because it was obviously vandalized, at least according to the bullet holes and the 3 inch diameter bolt that was left in it with log book and trades all missing. When i had found it, I was very far away from where it was 'supposed' to be, in fact i had given up looking and was on my way out and ran into it sitting completely out in the open. After thinking about it, I decided to take the empty vandalized container home. I wasn't sure where it was to be hidden in the first place, so it wasn't like I could put it back in the hiding spot and let the owners come fetch it. I emailed the owners, and asked if they wanted the container, they told me to throw it out.

The other time was a few weeks ago. I moved a cache cause the original hiding spot is inhabitated by squirrels. I found the cache sitting out in the open on the ground. The squirrels push the cache out of the hiding spot, along with all its camo, at the cache site, this is very obvious. So I hid it 8 ft to the NE, in a spot that cachers would check anyway, but wouldn't bother the squirrels. The cache owner didn't have a complaint, and if they didn't like it, i would have had no problem putting it back.

Other than that, I don't move caches.

But...

I do have a cache that is constantly being moved because people don't like to rehide it the way its supposed to be rehidden cause they have to git a lil muddy! So I get DNFs on that one, and when i check it, its always been there. People just can't see it cause other cachers hide it in a dark dark area, so they don't dirty, instead of where it belongs.

I've only moved a cache once.

A raccoon or other such critter had removed the cache, the lid on the cache and the contents of the cache and scattered them around the vicinity of the obvious hiding spot. I put the cache back together, replaced the log (which was missing), threw in a couple of extra goodies, replaced it in the hiding spot and e-mailed the cache owner. I find that to be a valid reason to move a cache.

However . . . if someone finds a cache and doesn't like where it's hidden or how it is hidden that doesn't give them the right to move it to a "better" location. If they think they can hide a cache better than one they've found then they should go out and hide their own cache.

:) DON'T MESS WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF . . . THEY DON'T LIKE IT! :o

Whew! I feel better now.

Happy caching and stuff!

Even more annoying then being moved when it shouldn't be, is not having them report back after having done so!!! I had a cache that went missing, thankfully I was lucky enough to find (a few months later!) where they moved it to before archiving. (60ft away, 3 hiding spots back :))

The last people in the logbook who did not log online, were signed with intinals and said it was their first cache. AFAIK they have not found any more caches, and still have not logged online or emailed me to say they moved it.

I went with Indygo yesterday to grab a few caches on the other side of town. One of the ones we found was hidden under a pile of leaves and sticks in the middle of the area with no trees or anything nearby. We discussed the fact that it's a good thing a non-cacher didn't walk through there and accidentally kick it and find it. The first log said the there had been a lot of kids around the area on the day he found it and he suggested the hider rethink their spot. This cache was placed over a year ago and it is still there. Indygo and I signed the log, did our trade and placed it exactly where it had been before.

I would never move someone's cache. The only thing I have ever done is attempt to hide the cache a little better if it was really exposed (ie - cover with more leaves, grass, bark, etc). If I thought it had a chance of getting stolen, I would still hide it in the same place but email the owner and let them know my concerns.

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to find a cache that someone moved (either by accident or to 'hide it better'). Here is a good example. Note Curt's advice in the cache description. :o That cache is now gone. :)

I share criminal's frustration with my light pole cache. People keep putting it so high up on the pole that I have to go there with a yard stick, jump and knock it down, and then place it at the correct height. Once it was around 12 feet up the pole. I don't even know how someone got it up there that high! The cache page requests that it be placed where it can be easily reached.

On a quick maint run I had noticed that a micro on my multi had moved to ground level.

"That makes sense. Why did I put it up so high. Hmmm...."

So I put it back down there and got on with things.

3 feet of snow later I remembered WHY I had put it up around waist level.

Oops.

I confess to moving a cache twice. :mad:

Once, the cache was described as being hidden somewhere on a high rock ledge. I hunted it after a violent storm, and couldn't find it - so I took the short way down and luckily found the container laying out in the open, more than 150' from the cords. I signed the log and placecd the cache as close as made sense to the cords, then I logged it with an explanation and an offer to meet the cache owner and show him exactly where I put it. He never took me up on that offer, and there have been many finds since then. :)

The other time, I found a cache - again, on a rock ledge - but sitting in plain sight from below. I had clearly been used as a rifle target many times. Most of the contents were damaged or destroyed, and the cache was definitely not watrproof anymore. So I replaced it about 10' away in a more protected spot that made a lot of sense - and again I offered to help the owner locate it if necessary. The owner never took me up on it even though it has not been found since. He disabled it instead, though he didn't archive it. I'm still waiting for that email... <_<

Anyway - right or wrong, I'd probably do it again under similar circumstances. But I would never move a cache just 'cause I thought of a better (or "more accurate") location.

On a quick maint run I had noticed that a micro on my multi had moved to ground level.

"That makes sense. Why did I put it up so high. Hmmm...."

So I put it back down there and got on with things.

Oops.

Hee hee! Is that the multi I found recently? If so, I think it was back at waist level when we found it. Depends on the stage. If stage one yes. If stage two, I wasn't there when it was found and re-hid, but think Jordan might have put it back as found but covered it better. I hope he didn't move it! But I don't think he did.

Okay, I am now guilty of doing what I complained about earlier in this thread. Today I found this cache sitting out in the open (note the photo in my log). I sent an e-mail to the owner with my apology, but at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. It was only a matter of a few feet, but I was fairly certain that the owner, judging from his difficulty rating, didn't want the cache to be in the open.

I guess I'll hear soon from him if I he thinks I was out of line.

Edited by briansnat

Maybe we shuould have away to block certain cachers from seeing certain caches if they do not know how to play with others.

Make the cache a "MOC" Members Only Cache. That's the only way I can think of maybe keeping it a little safer from losers and pirates.

Oops.

Hee hee! Is that the multi I found recently? If so, I think it was back at waist level when we found it. Depends on the stage. If stage one yes. If stage two, I wasn't there when it was found and re-hid, but think Jordan might have put it back as found but covered it better. I hope he didn't move it! But I don't think he did.

It was the stage 1 spot. <_<

I think stages 2 - 4 are almost impossible to hide incorrectly. (which means I'm sure one of them will be hidden in some bizarre manner before this weekend is over).

Oops.

It was the stage 1 spot. :mad:

I think stages 2 - 4 are almost impossible to hide incorrectly. (which means I'm sure one of them will be hidden in some bizarre manner before this weekend is over).

Ahh. Well, we left stage one at about straight out arm or a little lower (e.g. waist), level I think. So it is back were it should be. Regardless, hopefully we won't have three feet of more snow now! But I have to admit that I kind of miss the snow! <_<

Yeah some people are idiots. I have a cache placed in a guard rail. The purpose of it's location is so people can read a sign and get a laugh out of it. So a new cacher moves the cache about 5 posts away because that's where his gps said it needed to be. Well you couldn't read the sign as easily from there.

stupid stupid stupid, of course I drove down and moved it back where it belongs.

I know what you mean JohnnyVegas, we checked on a couple of ours yesterday. They had been moved ever so slightly. We've made up our mind that after every find (on this particular one) that we'll go by and check to see where it is replaced. We are able to do this one because it is just a few blocks from where I work.

I also moved one once. It was in the open no brush around, just a tree and some wire mesh. It was also only inches above the water in a spot that will get 2 to 4 feet of water during hard rains. There is no higher ground for 1/4 mile so I put it in the crotch of the tree 5 feet off the ground.

I sent an email to the owner explaining how I found it and where I put it with an offer to move it if they wanted as the water was knee deep and cold to get to it.

rant> if someone is courteous enough to try to fix a problem and sends an email and offers to change it back. Please respond to that email. <End rant