Thinking of Buying a Garmin eTrex GPS

Ballerina-104

I'm rather new at this myself, but the old saying is "You get what you pay for!". I have an etrex Vista myself. Anything less and you may wish you had spent a little more money and gotten added features and memory. Shop around on the net and you can get some real low prices. I know I did. I saved over $130.00 on the net. Don't be afraid to read these forum messages thoroughly and take the advise of those who have travel the road that lies ahead of you. Good luck and have a lot of fun.

The most important thing to ask is: What things are you going to do with your GPS?

That will point to the features, and then you can start looking at various models.

If all you are going to do is cache, and not use it for driving, boating, etc, then a basic etrex or Magellan will work.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I own a Vista and the yellow etrex. Once you park the car the yellow etrex will do a fine job and you can get them for well under $100 on the internet.

That said, I use the Vista almost exclusively because I program the driving routes to the cache(s) I'm planning to find at home so I don't need to consult a map on the road. Of course, to make this work you need the Mapsource software, which ain't exactly cheap. But the time saved trying to figure out exactly how to get from here to there is more time on the trail. I recommend the Metroguide software over the Roads & Recreation package. Topo maps are nice, but around here in CT it's so developed that they're really just a luxury. One of the Vista's best features is that you can load both the Topo and the street maps in its fairly large memory (24 Mb) and quickly switch from one view to the other. I've got the entire state of CT covered with room to spare.

So if you have the budget, go wild. In fact, if you're going to do a lot of driving with the GPS, you might even consider looking at the Garmin V - it's got autorouting so if you take a wrong turn or change your mind halfway there, it will automatically recalculate a route for you on the fly. If you're looking for an excellent basic GPS for finding a few caches, you won't regret the yellow etrex.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

I also have a Vista and a yellow etrex. Love them both, often, I use the Vista in the car to get there and then the yellow on the trail. I mainly do this because i have the vista hooked to the 12v power cable and in a windshield mount, it is a pain to get it all apart. I may switch roles now though. I hook the yellow to a laptop and use the comp to see the maps, lots nicer than a little screen and the yellow does no better than the Vista for this. Then, I also would have the electronic compass to help on the hunt, it will update directions without having to move. I have also had a Legend, and liked it, and a Eagle GPS, but didnt use it much.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I have the eTrex Venture, and am very happy with it. It comes with the serial interface cable, which costs up to $35 in stores and as low as $15 or so on EBay.

Putting waypoints in by hand is pretty time consuming. It is okay for one or two points now and then, but for very many it is tedious.

I like the size, weight, and controls. The eTrex models are all designed to be controlled using only the left hand. Very easy and handy to use.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

For what I believe is the best bang for the $$$$$, the Garmin E-Trex Venture is the way to go. It has a much better display and longer battery life than most of the Magellan units. Then start with EasyGPS (which is free) for your software, and you are on your way. Upgrade to ExpertGPS when you are ready.

This will serve you well for most outdoor activities. You shouldn't even need to upgrade... unless you decide you need mapping on the GPSr.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Everyone has some valid points here. I also have both the yellow Etrex and the Vista. We use both of them. Usually my wife will use the Vista and I will use ole' yeller'. They are both great. Take this advice however you want but I would strongly urge you to start with the basic Etrex first. The Etrex will do everything you need for geocaching and you and is extremely user friendly. The Vista is quite a unit but you may find it to be overwhelming for your first. I will never get rid of the basic Etrex and when I have to do some quick waypoints or need a quick reference I always grab the Etrex. When caching they are both equally accurate. The Etrex won't cause you to pull your hair out and gets twice the battery life. The Vista gets about 10 hours on batteries and you need to calibrate the compass everytime you change batteries. This isn't a big deal, but if you forget the GPS will give you fits.

I can't believe how many people here have said they have the eTrex "yellow" AND the Vista.

I have the eTrex "yellow" and I just ordered a Vista from Staples. Time for an upgrade. I'm planning a vacation and want the mapping features for when I'm driving around away from home.

I had them price-match Amazon.com. Plus the $50 mail-in rebate. Plus free shipping. It's going to end up being around $225.

But I'm planning on selling the "yellow" to help in justifying this with my wife.

No matter what eTrex you buy, you will want to make sure it either comes with a computer cable, or that you get one with it.

Once you start geocaching you will quickly get tired of entering all the waypoints by hand. Especially after you look for a cache for an hour and suddenly realize that you put in a digit wrong.

The vista is a good GPS.

The minimum I'd be happy with (and that's with 20/20 hind sight is a Legend) and I'd probably get the vista.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I've used my yellow for 100+ finds. No problem. I just recently bought a cable, and I love having that. The only time so far I've wished I had something higher-end was while caching on the way to a recent event. I didn't know my way around, and having maps would have helped a lot.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

I've got the Garmin eTrex Legend along with the Garmin MapSource MetroGuide USA software. They work great togther and I'm all the time uploading my tracks information to the PC software to see it better on the PC.

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm thinking of getting the topo software next.

I loooooove my Legend. Highly recommended. I may even get a second one.

The Legend is closer to the lower-end Venture on price and closer to the higher-end Vista on features.

Newer firmware will get you 1000 waypoints and 10,000 tracklog points. There are also some other feature additions and enhancements in the new firmware.

I have purchased the basic etrex yellow. I have

found as a basic unit, you really cannot go wrong.

#1 It is light for geo-treking or just carrying in your pocket.

#2 It does not do alot but get you there. So it

does not use alot of batteries.

#3 Can be used as a back-up later, in the event

you would like to get a more powerful unit.

#4 Now comes in CAMO.

#5 Very easy unit to learn

I have used a PLGR in the military, and I am surprised how well and how cheap this

technology can be utilized by all. ETREX beats the PLGR for usability and it is accurate enough.

And what does the military pay for thier units?

$1,000 or maybe $2,000. Once SA was lifted, all

the civilian units are very accurate to within

50 feet.

my two cents worth,

psyopwak

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

This is sort of like someone saying that they have a Hummer and a Geo Tracker for the basic stuff. You can never have too many toys.

Hey, I have a Geo/Chevy Tracker! How did you know?! And do you have any hints on how I could convince the wife I need the Hummer? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mattb5:

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

This is sort of like someone saying that they have a Hummer and a Geo Tracker for the basic stuff. You can never have too many toys.

Hey, I have a Geo/Chevy Tracker! How did you know?! And do you have any hints on how I could convince the wife I need the Hummer? icon_wink.gif

Tell her you need more ground clearance, more power, and a neat hydraulic winch on the front.

Etrex Venture is an awesome unit. Great for starting out. A very compact unit. Comes with a serial cable, which sells as a seperate elsewhere. It probably stands in the middle ground between the Yellow Etrex model and the Vista.

Unit maintains a good sat lock in the city ( NYC ) and does well in woodland areas.

Go for it.

I've had a Vista since May 02 and have been Geocaching since I discovered the sport in Oct 02. Geocaching is a really great hobby. I'm really happy with the Vista. I use it with a radioshack suction cup window mount (inexpensive) while driving. The memory capacity is much better than the legend making use with map packages much easier. I currently own and use Mapsource Topo, Metroguide USA, and World. All are great, but Topo has been the best for geocaching. My money has been well spent with the Vista.