Accessorizing Your 60c/s

Now that it looks like the 60CS is about to ship, I'm about to be a first-time GPS owner. What accessories should I be considering? Here's what I have in my shopping carts so far, but I have some questions if any of you have a moment to share your experiences.

Handlebar Mount: It doesn't look like there is much shock absoprtion in this bracket. Will I shake my new GPSr to death if I use this thing offroad on my mountain bike? Would the GPSr fall out? I don't have any death wishes, but I am agressive enough to fly over the handlebar about once a season. :lol: (I searched Groundspeak and found that someone else asked this question but no one answered.)

Cheap GPSGeek Ext. Antenna: Price is certainly right. Anyone have any bad experiences with this? As long as it does better than the built-in antenna and it doesn't break the first time I use it, seems like it is worth ordering as long as I'm putting together a GPSGeek order to buy...

12v Cigarette Power Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10085-00): This is not Garmin-built, but great price. Is it durible enough? And...

Serial PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141-00): Again, not Garmin-built, but I want to be able to use all that great software out there without jumping through too many hoops. This thing well-built?

Windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount: Anyone have trouble with the Garmin suction cub brackets? I want to move it back and forth between both cars and just looking to save a couple of bucks, but I would ante up and get the bean bag mount to avoid problems if the suction cup would cause regrets.

Are there any bags made specifically for the 60C/S yet? Doesn't even look like Garmin has one yet.

Thanks!

Ok, don't have the 60c/s but a Meridian Platinum. I have a lot of accessories for it, however.

I have the Windshield mount (suction cup) and have had good useability with it.

I have, for use in the car, a Cig Lighter power adapter.

Meriplat came with serial cable, did not have to buy.

Bought serial to usb adapter from http://www.pc-mobile.com

Bought adapter to hook up MeriPlat to my Sony Clie PDA from http://www.pc-mobile.com

I have the Magellan case, which has room for 2 extra sets of batteries. I have used velcro on the SD Ram card cases attaching them to the inside of the case, letting me have 1 card in the unit and 2 more quickly available.

I have modified the case to use the cell-phone button-type quick-release belt holster. Works great.

I am going to get the handlebar mount for use on my bike and eventually (when I buy it) a motorcycle.

Accessories are way cool... cant ever have enough.

I use the Garmin suction cup mount for my Vista, and it holds on through a lot of pounding! Summer, winter it doesn't seem to matter. Though I have noticed that when you put it on in the winter, it is best to run the defroster for a bit to warm the glass up some first.

I also use the power/data combo cable from Pfranc.com

JB

I originally bought the external antenna for my eMap. Works great in airliner passenger cabins and train cars. It just happens to fit my 60C, so I hooked it up to when it arrived so I could play with it in my living room :)

If you think you might have a use for it, then I recommend it. I will say that it's a little difficult to disconnect. I carefully use pliers. I think after about 10 connect/disconnects, it's starting to loosen a bit.

I have a 60c that I got as an upgrade to my old Garmin gps12map. I have the external antenna that I got for the 12map, but I don't think you will need one with the 60c/cs. I use mine in the truck and in the house and it doesn't lose the signal. I don't know about the bicycle mount. I wanted the City Select software, so I bought the Automotive navigation kit from Offroute.com. It includes the software, 12v. cable, mounting cradle with dash mount and pads and portable friction (bag) mount. I think total with shipping was $176. I'm happy with it and Geocaching gets a cut!! :) LB:^)!!!!

I second the auto nav kit! I got mine from TVNAV.com. they are very very nice people. I have also invested in the bike mount, and the serial/power, and the external from gpsgeek. the antenna does great in the car, Probably don't really need it, but I will also use it on the boat, when down below.

I Have not used the bike mount off road due to constant rain. But know it does not have any shock protection. for the falling fears, wrap the lanyard around the handle bars for extra piece of mind.

Pat

Well I got my 60CS and all those accessories late last week and there is intense, first-time GPS & Geocaching happiness in the house! Here are my initial impressions of the accessories:

Handlebar Mount: I had time for one off-road last weekend. It is a flat rail-to-trails route where you can carry some speed over a natural surface, so I was worried about vibrations. It didn't seem to be a problem for the 60CS though. This is an exercise route for me, so I like seeing my speed there in front of me and I'm glad I got the handlebar mount. I will also use the handlebar mount if I bike to any caches. However, a mountian biker on another thread said that his crowd attaches the GPS to their camelbacks for doing technical biking, and I think I will be doing the same when I go to the technical trails.

Cheap GPSGeek Ext. Antenna: I'm glad I got the external antenna. Seems plenty rugged for the price. I took it to a confluence geocache where previous visitors complained about accuracy under a heavy canopy of trees and it helped. (N 36° 00.000 W 079° 00.000) Also, I am keeping it outside the window in my office so that I can keep lock when I'm at the computer. :rolleyes: You have to apply a persuasive pinch to removed the small MCX connector from the GPS, but it isn't a problem.

12v Cigarette Power Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10085-00): Seems good for the price, but time will tell on this one. It feels well-built, should last several years, but the cable could have been better proctected at both plugs. Again, glad I got it.

Serial PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141-00): Don't anticipate any problems--glad I got it.

Windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount: A guy on another thread said that his bracket broke first time out, but I'm surpised because it seems well-built to me. The main issue with mine is that I haven't figured out how to position it to always avoid glare on the 60CS screen--it is the one instance where I sometimes have trouble seeing that great screen. I'm going to keep it in the car, but I probably won't always use it depending on what I am doing with the GPS at the time and the glare at the time. The suction cup hasn't had any problems. Wish I could gimble the GPS to face me a little better.

I also did get City Select and I'm really glad I did. Can't imagine getting a 60C/S without getting the maps. Autorouting is really well implemented with the 60C/CitySelect combo.

Next accessories needed: NiMH batteries & charger and a good case for the 60CS.

Okay. My new 60cs is on its way and should be here in a couple of days. I've got the auto nav kit coming plus the suction cup mount and the bike mount.

My question is, with the City Select that is included with the auto nav kit, would it still be worth my while to go out and get the MapSource US Topo for the Topo maps?

That's a subjective personal preference thing. Some people feel they're indispensible, while others think they're a waste of money when they have MetroGuide or City Select.

I will say that I think topo maps are helpful in geocaching because they show small streams where City Select does not. Knowing that there is a stream nearby and which side of the stream the cache is located can save lots of time and help with the initial approach.

Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo

I would love to get the Topo maps, but after all the expenditures of the last 2 weeks, I better bide my time. :-) What are you going to do mostly? If you will mostly use it in your car, City Select is enough. Throw geocaching into the mix and Topo is still probably overkill, but I am interested in Topo for getting map detail that isn't included in City Select (lighthouses for example) and to help me find new places to look for mountain bike trails. Remember you can always preview Garmin maps at their cartography section.

I have the Topo maps for my Magellan GPSs and like them a lot. With the Magellans, you either can be using the Topo map or the Streets map, not both at the same time.

Does the 60cs work the same way? Can both types be loaded into memory at the same time, but only one or the other active?

Can both types be loaded into memory at the same time, but only one or the other active?

Yes, both can be loaded at the same time, and there is a heirarchy involved as to what will display if you have multiple maps loaded for the same given area. City Select will display on top of Topo and I believe all or most of the other MapSource products. If you want to see the topo, you must go into the map settings and turn off the display of those map segments covering the ones you want to view.

Can both types be loaded into memory at the same time, but only one or the other active?

Yes, both can be loaded at the same time, and there is a heirarchy involved as to what will display if you have multiple maps loaded for the same given area. City Select will display on top of Topo and I believe all or most of the other MapSource products. If you want to see the topo, you must go into the map settings and turn off the display of those map segments covering the ones you want to view.

On the 60 C/S, when you get to the screen with the individual map segments, you can press the Menu button again to display each MapSource title and select which title (City Select, Topo, WorldMap, Points of Interest, Blu Charts) you want to display. It's Waaaaaaay too much trouble to do it by individual map segments!

On the 60 C/S, when you get to the screen with the individual map segments, you can press the Menu button again to display each MapSource title and select which title (City Select, Topo, WorldMap, Points of Interest, Blu Charts) you want to display. It's Waaaaaaay too much trouble to do it by individual map segments!

Thanks - that's a great tip! I didn't know that was possible. It certainly will make it much easier to get the maps displayed that I want at any given time!

On the 60 C/S, when you get to the screen with the individual map segments, you can press the Menu button again to display each MapSource title and select which title (City Select, Topo, WorldMap, Points of Interest, Blu Charts) you want to display.  It's Waaaaaaay too much trouble to do it by individual map segments!

Thanks - that's a great tip! I didn't know that was possible. It certainly will make it much easier to get the maps displayed that I want at any given time!

It's like this on most the Garmin GPS :D

I just got a new F-350 SuperDuty Ford Diesel and I made this mount setup out of an extra ash tray insert I had, for my new 60CS I went today and got a beanbag mount also for my other clunkers I drive. In fact I have another set up like this made to hold my Magellan Platinum. I just glued a Garmin mount to an ashtry insert from Ford, It holds the GPS in a good secure position.

60CSHOLDER.JPG

60CSHOLDER1.JPG

I made a mount to mount my 60cs to my mountian bike handlebar with a bike lock mount kit and a velcro ankle strap. It's rubber and nylon straps and because of the rubber is has shock protection built in. It was $12 and works great.bike.jpg

Edited by RSorak