No Job, Will Cache For Food

Serious advice: flood potential candidate jobs with resumes now. Don't wait. Unless you have some severance package requirements to stay until 5/4, take the most attractive offer that comes along.

Wishful Thinking advice: You should be able to find enough Where's George dollars to pay for some snack foods now and then. Gas is another problem but you can accomodate that by 'recycling' the leftover ...vapors... from your snacks. With luck, you can keep a subsistance living this way.

Or, alternatively, win the lottery. :o

Good luck in your job hunt (or whatever you decide to do :lol: )

Edited by New England n00b

I've been out of work since the end of last March. I've found the only money I can make through geocaching is if I find a Wheresgeorge bill or two. I second New England Noob's advice. Start looking immediately. The job market is heating up now, so you picked a good time to get let go (if there can be a good time).

On a related note, I accepted an offer yesterday and will start on Monday. $30,000 less than I had been making, but hey, it will keep me away from these forums (OK, everyone you can stop cheering).

Edited by briansnat
Congratulations & condolences briansnat! Now you'll have money, but no caching time! Argh, catch-22.

What will you be doing, if we geocachers may ask?

Thanks! Its an IT consulting job, but I'm a full time employee of the consulting firm which is good. Between gigs, they don't lay you off. They stick you in the office and force you to train on new technologies (I think I can hack that).

My first assignment will to get an Identity Management system off the ground for a major pharmaceutical company. It's only a few miles from my house, which is great. I may not be so lucky with subsequent assignments, which they promised will be mostly in my region, but in rare cases can be anywhere in US...so I may be caching your way soon!

Edited by briansnat

Sorry to hear about the job... good luck with your search!

Now turn off any sensitivity for a minute....

Maybe we can hide some caches containing food and let you try and find them...

Twinkies can be a 1/1 and a Steak and Lobster dinner can be a 5/5!!

You definately want to be FTF for these and a DNF means you go hungry! :lol:

I was tossed out on 01/08/04 along with 76 others, my problem is that I've made getting the new job a full time thing, so I feel like I have LESS time to geocache that when I was employed. Asside from the fact that at the end of the day, if my wife found out I was caching all day in stead of looking for work, I could end up sleeping in the garage.

Rossinator

I was tossed out on 01/08/04 along with 76 others, my problem is that I've made getting the new job a full time thing, so I feel like I have LESS time to geocache that when I was employed. Asside from the fact that at the end of the day, if my wife found out I was caching all day in stead of looking for work, I could end up sleeping in the garage

That's the way I started. I'd be up at 5am looking...searching company websites, job websites, networking, writing and re-writing my resumes, e-mailing them. By 11 am I was going crazy, so I'd have to get out of the house. Later on I had everything down...websites bookmarked....several resumes ready to go....so it would only take a couple of hours in the morning. My wife is very understanding and knew that getting outdoors was important to my sanity. I started doing trail work a few days a week and got some geocaching and fishing and and lot of hiking in.

Edited by briansnat

Here are some job search websites that I've been using. Some are IT specific and others are for all industries. They work pretty well, but you'll see a lot of positions cross posted on the sites. To facilitate my search I set up agents on some of the sites, using a few keywords from my skill set. The sites then sent me all listings with those keywords each day. Pretty handy feature. Anyway, here they are:

http://www.monster.com

http://www.dice.com

http://www.hotjobs.com

http://www.jobcircle.com

http://www.job.com

http://www.jobs.com

http://www.careers.com

http://www.brilliantpeople.com

http://www.flipdog.com

And if you're interested in sucking us taxpayers dry, here is a list of federal government job websites:

http://www.usajobs.opm.gov

http://www.jobsfed.com/rp/cgi/homepage.cgi

http://www.fedworld.gov/jobs/jobsearch.html

http://www.fedjobs.com/

Your state will probably have similar sites for jobs on the state level

Hopefully this will help.

Edited by briansnat

Brian - congrats man! I was out for 4 1/2 months and I went nuts. Went through the same thing you did. Spent days online and then worked it out to just a couple of hours in the morning and caching in the afternoon for sanity's sake.

If you get assigned to N. CA. let me know!!!

Maybe we can hide some caches containing food and let you try and find them...

Twinkies can be a 1/1 and a Steak and Lobster dinner can be a 5/5!!

You definately want to be FTF for these and a DNF means you go hungry! :)

If we stick to the Twinkies, future generations will be able to eat when out of work. Those things will out last the cockroaches.

F_M

Sorry to hear about your job loss Pooh. Congrats Brian for you new position.

I spent 9 months as a professional geocacher, but it didn't pay very well. Networking will be your best bet on landing another job, especially in this market.

Good Luck!

Pooh,

Been there, done that. I know how you feel. In the last 8 years I've been out of work twice for a total of 14 months.

Previous posters have given some good advice, here's some more:

* Start looking now. It is easier to get a job if you already have one. I don't understand why, but it is.

* See if there is a government-funded job counseling sevice near you. The last time that I was laid off the government sent me to classes on how to find a job. I not only learned how to write a resume and research companies, but they also gave me basic computer training. They also gave me access to computers, a fax machine, photocopier, etc. at no charge.

* Find or develop a support group. You are not in this alone! There are others out there that are going through the same thing.

* Eat something! I know it sounds ridiculous, but a lot of times the shock and depression of losing your job makes you lose your appetite so you skip dinner. Then your body doesn't have the fuel it needs so you feel tired, which makes you more depressed, which makes you lose your appetite, etc. I'm not saying to pig out, just that you'll feel better if you eat something.

Good luck,

RichardMoore

Sorry to hear about the job loss, Pooh. :P I work in the staffing industry so have more advice for you than I can type.

A few key points:

:) If they offer training dollars, or you are considering going to school, chose a field where you are SURE there is a good chance of getting employment after you graduate. I can't tell you how many unemployed recent graduates from trade schools and business schools I can't put to work. Don't let the schools recruiter tell you they will help you....I have talked to too many frustrated pple to believe that c***. If there isn't a market, there isn't a job. An FYI: According to the U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, we will continue to see a steady decline in manufacturing, as things continue to move overseas. The "hot" job markets for the next four years are those jobs in the information technology fields.

:P DO: Get a resume that is professionally done. No typo's. No spelling errors. No grammatical errors.

:) DO: Invest in NICE paper for your resume.

:) DO: Get a business card from anyone who takes the time to interview you and get a hand written thank you note in the mail with-in 24 hours.

:o DO: Take EVERY interview you can get. Even if it's not your dream job. Interviewing well is a skill that is developed through practice.

:) DO: Invest in one NICE (appropriate for your industry) interview outfit.

:D Do: See a professional recruiter for help. There are a lot of employers who go through services like mine, because of the service we provide. There are many employers who won't even look at a resume that is submitted direct. (Likewise, there are employers who never use a service.)

:( DO: Network! Think outside the box. Go to a local Chamber of Commerce networking breakfast and pass out your resume. Talk to people you know through your work contacts and ask them if they know anyone they can put you in contact with.

I can go on and on.....I could write a book with all the Do's and Don'ts, but I will leave you with one last, big, do:

:lol: DO: Keep a positive attitude. Even if things don't happen over night.

:) DON'T: Give up!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I'll be joining the ranks of the unemployed on April 1st, the irony is amusing. This will be the first time in 15 years I've been unemployed. The first thing I'm planning is an Event cache.

The links to the job sites will be helpful, but I'm going to be taking a little time off. With my severance package and not paying day care we should be okay for a bit. I know I'll have to go back to work eventually, but I want to spend some time with my kids this summer.

You could always get your real estate license. It's tough getting started in the industry but once those commissions start rolling in you'll be happy.

I've never been employed by someone else, ever. Wouldn't want to, either.

Why don't you figure out what kind of business you could start up, and take charge?

That might even be better advise. Although real estate is very much like having your own business. Agent are independent contractors.

The "hot" job markets for the next four years are those jobs in the information technology fields.

Yeah, in India.

This is so true it hurts, literally. Let me share my recent experience. Near the end of November the IT consulting firm I worked for 'ran' out of work. We where asked to wait until February for potential work. :) On Feb 2nd, an ex-coworker called and I lucked into a full time gig. I upgraded my pay rate, severely upgraded my benefits (hard not to improve on nothing), I am an employee not a consultant, and I am doing pretty much the same thing I did as a consultant but with consistent hours. Total time unemployed 2 weeks. I got REALLY lucky, just because I kept in touch with someone I worked with years ago. What has been said about networking is right on. Sooner or later you’re going to get a call from someone and they are going to have a job lead for you. Congrats Brian, Good luck Pooh.

Sooner or later you’re going to get a call from someone and they are going to have a job lead for you.

As I was told in my outplacement class, upwards of 80 percent of jobs come through networking and a similar percentage are never posted to the public. So by reading newspaper ads and even jobsearch websites, you're barely scratching the surface of available positions.

Let everyone you know that you are looking. Always have a copy of your resume ready. Renew old friendships and relationships with former co-workers. Join clubs, or any social group you can. One benefit of being out of work was that my wife would insist I go anytime there was a group of friends, acquaintances, or former colleagues and even geocachers, going out for drinks, or dinner. She would tell me its a networking opportunity and she was right. Now that I'm back in the working world, I doubt I'll get to go out as much :) .

Another big thing. Help others. If you see a job that isn't right for you, but might be for someone you know, send it their way. If a potential employer, or "headhunter" calls you about a position and you aren't a good fit, give them leads. If you are working and you encounter someone who isn't, ask for their resume and get it in the hands of the right person in your company. If you help enough people along the way, perhaps some of them will remember you in your time of need.

Edited by briansnat

A few years ago, when I was in the same position, I did all that I could to find that job. There is only so much writing and research that you can do. Realize this, and spend the excess available time doing something that you really enjoy, ie. catching. My wife encouraged me during that search period to play as much golf as I could. She realized that there is a limit to what can be done, and that I had to keep some sanity during that time. I wish that geocaching was around then. Good luck!

Way to go Brian for finding a job.

I've been out of work since January... of last year. Northwest arena is full of us IT guys looking for work and more are on the way when AT&T Wireless starts letting go more of 'em with their sellout.

With the help of an influential friend, I'm in the works of changing career fields altogether. Hopefully something will come up soon as a result.

* Eat something! I know it sounds ridiculous, but a lot of times the shock and depression of losing your job makes you lose your appetite so you skip dinner.

The first time I was out of work, it was for 6 months and my wife got riffed at the same time. (We both worked for McDonnell Douglas)

I had the opposite problem, and ballooned up. Still fighting to get rid of it.

I wish we had geocaching back then in1991. I would have hit every cache for 500 miles around.

Coming into the season, you could probably find a decent P/T slash temp job with your local city/county park districts. The hours usually vary, so you could probably find ample time before or after work to grab one or two caches.

If you're lucky, you'll get a position that would rotate you to different parks, offering up different caches with each position.

An FYI: According to the U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, we will continue to see a steady decline in manufacturing, as things continue to move overseas.  The "hot" job markets for the next four years are those jobs in the information technology fields.

Depends what you call manufacturing.

But seriously, you guys are scaring me. Is it just that the unemployed have more time to hang out on discussion boards, or is unemployment (particularly in IT) that bad over on your side of the pond? Things are lean but not dead in the water here, but we were contemplating a transatlantic move sometime in the next few years, and my husband and I are both techies...

Caching helped me alot to get through my job search. You can only do so much, and caching filled my afternoon after spending the morning calling prospects and applying for jobs.

I feel bad for anyone looking for a job today. I'm looking, AGAIN, for myself. I spent all of last year looking. At my last job, I worked in a world reknowned cancer research lab, i even got 4th author on a cancer article in a popular medical journal, and all I was able to score was a 12 week temp job, which had nothing to do with my research. Needless to say, my 12 weeks just ended.

The media keeps saying that things are getting better...I don't think it is, it just looks like it is. Most people getting jobs today are underemployed and taking huge paycuts, thats not improvement, thats getting by.

My field, is tough. Pharmaceutical companies like to hire temps, instead of direct hires because of uncertainty concerning the drugs they try to develop, they don't have to give you benefits, and they can drop you like a hot potato if they want to. When they finally get a promising drug, they send it overseas to be manufactured, cause its alot cheaper. If you don't have a M.S. plus experience, or if you're not a robotics whiz, chances of you getting a job in that are nil.

Hospitals require clinical certification for you to touch anything that directly involves the patient.

In short, I'm going back to school for clinical certification, so i can work in a hospital. With my past lab experience, working in a hospital is a step backward for me, but in order to get my Masters, a hospital is the only place that will provide good benefits and stable employment for me to do so. I can also snag a 3 twelve hour day work week so i can take 4 days a week to cache! :)

Good luck to anyone looking for jobs...till then I just keep on cachin!

or is unemployment (particularly in IT) that bad over on your side of the pond?

Some industries are bad (IT and manufacturing) and some are very good (construction). IT is picking up. I was laid off last March and from March through about Sept. I did't get one response to the hundreds of resumes I sent out. Starting about Sept. I started getting sporadic responses, bit if they were looking for 10 skills and I only had 9, they didn't want to talk to me. By Dec I had a handful of interviews and for the last two months I've been getting cold called by recruiters who found my resume online. Most of the stuff was for contract work...usually nowhere near where I live, but it does indicate that there is some life to the IT market now. It's been down so long, the pendulum has to swing back...except maybe for developers, with all the development work going overseas.

I've been emphasizing my security experience, because I think that's where the IT jobs are going to be.

Edited by briansnat

You may not be able to earn a living geocaching, but geocaching may actually help you earn a living..

On my top ten list of reasons someone should hire me, it's number 4

( you do have a top 10 list of reasons to hire you, right ?) because it builds character, it can be team building, it shows I have a heathly interest in the outdoors and the environment as a responsible citizen, etc, etc.

It's bound to start a conversation, chances are the potential employer will be interested and remember you.. making a lasting impression is sometimes just as important as your qualifications, particularly if you are one of many applicants.

I hire people, and I always look for the little 'something' different.

Good luck !!