Cito Day 2004 In Pittsburgh Area

Team VaxCave

The Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization looks forward to meeting and greeting all attendees on CITO Day 2004! Our event is ready to go! Join us in beautiful Pittsburgh PA for a day of fun, fresh air, and fraternizing.

""Left Nothing; Took A Dump" will help in cleaning up Highland Park. We will have a picnic after the cleanup effort. The pavillion is located next to the famed "Super Playground of Highland Park" so this event is certainly kid friendly.

This fine city park once housed four geocaches, the "KidScience" series, which were a great "introduction to geocaching" for kids, since the caches were bunched very close together and the park is next to the Pittsburgh zoo. The owner went inactive and Team VaxCave was kind enough to adopt the caches. But very soon, it became apparent that the litter problem in this park was SO BAD that all the caches had to be disabled. Highland Park is filled with the steep treelined slopes for which Pittsburgh is famous. Hillsides are where we like to hide caches, but unfortunately that's what inconsiderate park users choose for their dumping ground.

It will be great to see 50 or more people attack these hillsides full of trash and return this park to the kind of place we'd like to walk, play and cache in. In addition, VaxCave has found that we have friends at the CityParks Department and it doesn't look like geocaching in the Pittsburgh parks is in danger of getting regulated out of existence any time soon. Just like the goodwill we built up with the state parks from last year's CITO event, the upcoming event will have a nice political byproduct with the CityParks in addition to the environmental benefit.

We look forward to attending!

TeamK-9 is attending with Casey the Golden Cache Retriever who will be celebrating her first birthday on CITO day. We look forward to being able to help out our fellow cachers from the cito.

Edited my post cause it didn't make sense after this topic was switched around a bit.

Edited by TeamK-9

Do you mind my asking where there will be parking. When we were up there to log Kid Science Consolation, we really couldn't find much parking and ending up just parking along side the road near the pavillion. That obviously won't work this weekend if we have twenty or more cars.

Parking suggestions include:

1. On-street parking along Bunkerhill Street or other neighboring streets in the Highland Park Area. Bunkerhill Street can be located in the photo below, south of the Maple Grove Pavilion, running from Northwest (the left-hand reservoir) to Southeast along the border of the park.

2. Drive down Bunkerhill Street and turn left into the park through its grand entrance. Circle around Reservoir Drive. Parking should be available in the "loop" area near the top of the picture. Then walk southwest to the pavilion.

3. For those who are curious, the huge parking lot and structures at the top left of the photo are the Pittsburgh Zoo. It is separated from Highland Park by a gigantic hill climb and is not recommended as a parking spot.

0e3426f9-35be-4516-b53f-126a909eca4a.jpg

Ever since this winter, I've stopped trusting Joe Denardo and his happy band meteorlogists, and basically all other meteorologists. My brother and I have a favorite meteorological term that was used a lot this fall, winter, and spring,

"a storm of varying degrees of seriousness"

which translates to "we don't know what the heck's gonna hit us until the day after"

But I hope the weather is nice...

But anyway, I'm also really excited about meeting Questmaster. He's recently sent me some interesting information reguarding a good idea for a cache in my hometown in an area that I actually can ride my bike to...

Edited by TeamK-9
Ever since this winter, I've stopped trusting Joe Denardo and his happy band meteorlogists, and basically all other meteorologists. My brother and I have a favorite meteorological term that was used a lot this fall, winter, and spring,

You still watch Joe? Check out the attractive ladies on KDKA and WPXI...

I hope the weather is nice, and the turn out is large. Also, I hope someone takes Cindy off my hands...

Don't you people know that the 17th is the opening day of trout season? Get your priorities straight :D:D

I've got mine straight...and will be thigh deep in cold water on Saturday morning! Actually, I will also be attending the Potter County CITO and working my real job that afternoon.

So I would love to come to the "burg' and take a dump...but I will be fishing, CITO, and being a fish biologist in Potter County that day. However, I will attend next week's fun at "Take another Dump"

Salvelinus

Well, you also have an invitation to dinner on Friday with The Leprechauns, but if you'd rather hang out with a stalker, that's your business. :D

Thanks for the invite! :D

As far as QuestMaster is concerned...he's stalking MissJenn, so I have nothing to worry about. B)

Will be lots of fun!

Recent discussion in the TRI-GO forums has brought up the good point that all teams planning on attending should bring FRS radios if they have them.

Most recent weather reports from KDKA report that it should be partly cloudy with a high of 72 degrees for CITO day.

Edited by TeamK-9
Recent discussion in the TRI-GO forums has brought up the good point that all teams planning on attending should bring FRS radios if they have them.

You know, I used to have a set of those........still do somewhere....not sure if they still work or not.

It's looking like I will make the event afterall. I have the day off from work, and while the wife isn't interested in coming out for the weekend, she seems happy to get rid of me for the day. :lol:

What a great turnout for this NICELY organized event! We had close to or over 50 people; we had gloves and trashbags; we had a boat; we had Jeeps; we had invasive-vine-pulling; we had a cinder block; we had litter picker-uppers; we had games; we had great weather; we had food; we had a marathon; oh, and we had trash.

I can't wait to see the video footage!