Do You Keep Having This Dream?

flask

...the one where you're wading uphill in chest deep snow and it's getting dark and your batteries are going dead and you realize all of a sudden that the container is on THAT hill over there and it's not 2 FEET from here, it's 2 MILES, and you're on the wrong side of a river, the interstate, and a rail yard and now (because it's a dream) you can see the box just out of your reach and there are all these WALLS and you realize as you look down from above that you're in a maze and then you think: "if i can look at this from above, why don't i just fly over there?" and you know that you really can't fly, but now you think you need a clue and you left the description back at your car, which has been stolen and now you are in a country where they do not speak your language and you're all alone and don't want to die before you SIGN THE LOG?

No, but my understanding is that almost eveyone has a recurring anxiety type dream. Mine is one where I can't dial the right telephone number and I try over and over and over. Your's is a lot more interesting!

I have had general geocaching dreams before though.

Edited by carleenp

that's not my anxiety dream.

my anxiety dream is where i'm in the wings of a stage and someone hands me a violin and tells me to fill a seat in the middle of the second vilolins and that nobody will notice i don't play violin, and then when i get onstage i am not in proper concert clothes and they fire me from the orchestra and then suddenly i'm at school and i'm late for class and i look at my schedule and i've somehow missed months of my first period class and not realized it until now and i'm completely underprepared and i don't speak german or know trig and i'm going to fail out of school and THEN i'm sunbathing on a rock and i go to change out of my team uniform and i'm alone near the edge of a pond and just as i take off one set of clothes and am standing naked a car pulls up and several of my students get out and i try to cover myself by jumping into dark, leech-infested water and the mother of these children is so outraged that i have displayed myself in this way that she follows me around for DAYS vomiting on me in her rage.

don't you hate it when you have that one?

In my dream I’m on the hunt, moving slowly down the misty trail. I can smell the sweet humidity in the night air. I part the bushes and spot the cache. It’s wet and glistens in the moonlight. I move around it slowly, playing with it, avoiding direct contact. In my head I hear Van singing:

Go ahead

And do it one more time, baby

Yeah, you're satisfied at this

And way up and the sky comes down, kaleidoscope

Hold it open and you kiss

Ya hold the lantern in the doorway

For the freedom of it

And you make the night air comes in

Through your nostrils and you breathe

In-out, in-out

Ya breathe

A-just like that, just like that

I move up very close to the cache, only to retreat back away, teasing it. Suddenly the cache is moving to meet me, forcing me to touch it, to caress it. Faster and faster we do this, I try to maintain some semblance of control but now it’s completely up to the cache.

Then I hear, far off in the distance, a train coming down the tracks. It’s heavy and lumbering slowly but gaining speed. It enters the tunnel as though it’s angry, though it has a vicious one-track mind all its own. The engineer just holds on tight, afraid to go but afraid to stop, along for the ride. And wild is the ride.

TNLS, signed the log.

I move up very close to the cache, only to retreat back away, teasing it.  Suddenly the cache is moving to meet me, forcing me to touch it, to caress it.  Faster and faster we do this, I try to maintain some semblance of control but now it’s completely up to the cache.

Youuuuu really need to get out.

i'm not sure about that. he sounds like he is having a lot of fun in his dreams. if i had dreams like that, i would try to sleep all the time.

...the one where you're wading uphill in chest deep snow and it's getting dark and your batteries are going dead and you realize all of a sudden that the container is on THAT hill over there and it's not 2 FEET from here, it's 2 MILES, and you're on the wrong side of a river, the interstate, and a rail yard and now (because it's a dream) you can see the box just out of your reach and there are all these WALLS and you realize as you look down from above that you're in a maze and then you think: "if i can look at this from above, why don't i just fly over there?" and you know that you really can't fly, but now you think you need a clue and you left the description back at your car, which has been stolen and now you are in a country where they do not speak your language and you're all alone and don't want to die before you SIGN THE LOG?

Can't say I've had that one yet. All of my caching dreams are about me locking the keys and the GPSr in the car!

Crimmie! You've changed the pristine image I had of you!

Criminal and pristine aren't two words I would have though go together :lol:

Edit: Typo

Edited by cache_us_if_you_can
No, but my understanding is that almost eveyone has a recurring anxiety type dream. Mine is one where I can't dial the right telephone number and I try over and over and over. Your's is a lot more interesting!

I have had general geocaching dreams before though.

Good Gosh Carleen you anxiety dream was my reality.

When we first moved into our home out in the country (it had been sitting empty for a year) I woke up one moring and came out in the living room only to see the cat and a snake nose to nose !!! :o

I got to the phone and looked up a number of a neighbor friend to come HELP!!!

and would forget the number half way through dialing....over and over and over.

Turned out to be a bull snake, but when first waking bull snakes and rattlers look alot alike ! :lol:

Afterwards I could laugh about it, but at the time it was sooooo frustrating to lose the number in my head over and over and over.

edited for clarity?

Edited by woof n lulu

I am 43, and I *still* have a recurring dream that I forgot about a required college course, discovered this right before final exams, and had to cram to take the test. I brought this up once at a lunch table of five lawyers, and ALL FIVE had had the same dream. We're an uptight bunch.

Since discovering geocaching, I've had many caching-related dreams, which are a lot more pleasant than college final exams. But there is a problem. As you all know, live hamsters are my signature item and in order to keep my supply of signature items safe from my pet cat, the hamster and mice cages are located in my bedroom. Since hamsters and mice are nocturnal, they will stay up all night partying, running on the exercise wheel and generally making noise.

Sleeping ten feet away from my colony of signature items, I tend to assimilate hamsters into my dreams. When the dream also involves geocaching, it can get pretty frightening. The one I am most troubled by involves a hamster, a long, dark habitrail tube, and Mopar. The psychiatrist bills are staggering.

<big snips>

... hamsters (are my)  signature item.

<snip snip>

Please tell me this is an on going joke. Right? Call me skittish, but I am absolutely petrified at the site of any rodent, and especially hamsters. After gnashing my teeth for a few seconds I would most likely run away searching for a door to shut between me and the aforementioned creature. Finding none, I would probably settle for a large tree, finding my self with no gear or GPSr to point me home, lost in the woods of the North East.

I'm not really going to open a cache and find a hamster; am I?

Edited to clarify why scared-stiff-me would be running.

Edited by geckoee
<big snips>

<snip snip>

Please tell me this is an on going joke. Right? Call me skittish, but I am absolutely petrified at the site of any rodent, and especially hamsters. I travel around new England and the North East caching, and would probably run away from the site leaving my gear and GPSr ending up lost in the woods with no idea which way to go if I happened upon a ferocious hamster in a box.

Lep has been leaving hampsters as FTF prizes for a couple of years now. I'm surprised you haven't come across one.

You do want to be quick about finding any of their new caches. Ammo boxes only hold so much air :lol:

I always dream that I am in HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS, and I'm that kid who is in the cereal bowl and about to be eaten! Ever since I've started geocaching, I now hold a GPS in that dream while I'm in the spoon.

I also dreamed that I was an actual fat radish and I was a super villian that started the Veggie Wars!

<big snips>

<snip snip>

Please tell me this is an on going joke. Right? Call me skittish, but I am absolutely petrified at the site of any rodent, and especially hamsters. After gnashing my teeth for a few seconds I would most likely run away searching for a door to shut between me and the aforementioned creature. Finding none, I would probably settle for a large tree, finding my self with no gear or GPSr to point me home, lost in the woods of the North East.

Edited to clarify why scared-stiff-me would be running.

Not to worry. First off, any time that an existing geocache is hamstercached, I do obtain the consent of the cache owner and a bold notice is put on the cache page, similar to the "GeoCoins have been seen in this cache!" logo, with which you might be more familiar. Second, any cache owner who does NOT want their cache to be hamstercached may simply use the "hamster free" logo on their cache page. Everyone in my area is quite used to this, and it works well for us. If you are caching here but don't care to play, just follow the logos and you'll steer clear of the Gereplugs.

Second, on the off chance that a geocache has recently been hamstercached, like after you planned your cache trip, please don't be alarmed about finding a hamster in a geocache. If nothing else, two years of experience has taught us that hamsters become decidedly sluggish after more than a few days in an ammo can. Rather than chasing you across the forest like a rabid rat, the little furball will be so happy to see you, he will just roll over into the palm of your hand as you reach for the logbook. They are so cute and cuddly!

I am 43, and I *still* have a recurring dream that I forgot about a required college course, discovered this right before final exams, and had to cram to take the test. I brought this up once at a lunch table of five lawyers, and ALL FIVE had had the same dream. We're an uptight bunch.

I also have that dream. I also have a variation where I forgot to take a high school class and they take away all my degrees and make me go back to high school. That is more than a stress dream, it is a nightmare!

My fear of hamsters may have spawned from a reoccurring dream that the little buggers, that some say are cuddly, are clawing there way over my body, and for some reason I can't move. I'm glad to hear about the hamster logos. That is a very considerate way to make the caching experience a joy for all.

I have a dream:

All geocachers were born equal. All cachers have found the same caches. All forum posters agree. As a result, Jeremy decided that keeping stats and providing forums was redundant and a waste of bandwith. As a result of that people decided to quit geocaching and get a life. A direct result of that is waking up, going immediately to GC.com and posting on the forums to see if it was really a dream/nightmare.

Pinch me! :o:)

Wow, I graduated high school 20 years ago this year (and college a few years after that) and, like others have said, I still have the following dreams:

I forgot my locker combination

I get sent back to high school, but have forgotten my class schedule (our high school has rotating schedules)

There is a big test that I haven't studied for (or I have missed all of the classes)

I'm back in band class and I haven't touched my saxophone in 6 years.

I've only had one or two geocaching dreams -- one was the other night (everyone nod off now*): My boss sent me with a poster for Desperado to get Antonio Banderas's autograph while he was filming a new TV series in a nearby town (note that none of the above makes any sense). I decided that I was going to find two geocaches in that town while I was there, but at the first, I got caught up in a huge riot and at the second, there was a family there having a picnic and the cache was in their picnic cooler.

*Everyone I know, including myself, zones out when other people describe their dreams in detail...

I have nightmares about station 7. I worked as a waitress in college at a very hot Westwood Village club/restaurant. Station 7 was a nightmare. I still dream about it once in a while, and it's even scarier than the nightmare I have about hiding body parts... :)

I'm caching, but in my underwear. Not a pretty sight if you can picture this face/body in a pair of tighty-whiteys! :)

Seriously, though. All anxiety-related dreams these daysare work-related (sigh).

Workin' for livin'........

My God Kelia I think you just gave me a waking nightmare !!! :o:):P

I haven't been caching long enough for it to invade my dreams, but thanks for letting me know what to look forward to. :)

However, I do fear that I will now have anxiety dreams about hamsters gasping for air in ammo cans. I can only assume that the Lep knows what he's doing and has never lost a rodent to asphyxiation.

Poor furry critters. What if the next person to find the cache, doesn't want a hamster? Does it stay in the box til the next cacher comes along?

See? I'm all anxiety-ridden now. I may not be able to sleep.

GPSKitty the insomniac

I am the hamster.

They are the hamsters.

I am the Reptile.

Coo-Coo-Ca-Cho.

Seriously, most of my anxiety dreams involve suffocation of some sort. I think that it is a clausterphobia issue, must get out more. I'd like to thank Lep for adding being trapped in an ammo box to the gasping clawing darkness that is my own personal hell. :)

Seriously, most of my anxiety dreams involve suffocation of some sort. I think that it is a clausterphobia issue, must get out more. I'd like to thank Lep for adding being trapped in an ammo box to the gasping clawing darkness that is my own personal hell. 

I once had a dream while camping that I got stuck in a landslide and was suffocating. I then started screaming and thrashing around in my sleep. Anyway, I was still married then and the whole thing freaked out my then husband! We divorced shortly after. Hmmmm..... <_<