Software Options For 60cs?

Geetings!

I'm waiting for my 60CS to ship. This will be my first GPSr - wahoo!

I understand there's no software included in the basic package - true? If so, can I get detailed maps of Utah online? Free? Also, what software can I get (I.E. Mapsource?) and what are the prices? I'm looking for street maps mostly, but would like topo maps someday.

I have friend with Magellans, but their software will not work with Garmins - correct?

Thanks so much,

Pat

Geetings!

I'm waiting for my 60CS to ship. This will be my first GPSr - wahoo!

I understand there's no software included in the basic package - true? If so, can I get detailed maps of Utah online? Free? Also, what software can I get (I.E. Mapsource?) and what are the prices? I'm looking for street maps mostly, but would like topo maps someday.

I have friend with Magellans, but their software will not work with Garmins - correct?

Thanks so much,

Pat

Garmin's MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager software is included with the 60C. Basically it allows you to transfer Routes, waypoints and tracks to and from your GPSr, and view them on a basic map on the computer. It will not allow you to transfer any map data.

The only maps that you can upload to the 60C are Garmin MapSource maps. City Select is the one Garmin recommends as it will autoroute properly with the 60C. You can get it at Amazon.com for $107.99 with free shipping. That's the best price anyone in this forum has found so far. It includes street maps for all of the US (including Utah) and parts of Canada. That would pretty much do it for your street maps.

You can use your GPSr with other programs - show your routes, waypoints and tracks - on other software programs as well. Here are a few popular ones:

USAPhotoMaps (Free)

National Geographic Topo ($)

Delorme Products

If you have a lot of free time on your hands, you can learn how to make your own Garmin compatible maps:

Map Authoring

Custom Garmin Map Tutorial

UMP Getting Started

You're correct about not using Magellan software with Garmin products (and vice-versa).

Edited by Neo_Geo

MapSource, in the form of the Trip and Waypoint Manager does come with the 60, but there are no downloadable maps included. You can send/receive tracks, waypoints and routes and with EasyMPS you can easily send downloaded .loc and .gpx to the 60.

For roads you will probably want City Select. I would suggest the Auto Navigation Kit which has City Select, mounting bracket, bean bag and power cable. For topo, you'll probably want the 100K US Topo. However, a lot of Utah is covered by the 24K Topo West.

NOTE: National Geographic TOPO does NOT currently support the 60 series, nor does it work on the USB connection.

I passed several E-mails back and forth with TOPO support, and the dude was convinced that I needed a DRIVER for my USB cable. I could not believe it! It wasn't worth replying to any more, I couldn't get him to understand that the TOPO PROGRAM was what didn't recognize a USB connection.

Still, if enough people complain, maybe they will wake up. It is really a great program. Especially if you do not need to use their support.

E-mail them about GARMIN 60 C/CS support HERE.

For roads you will probably want City Select. I would suggest the Auto Navigation Kit which has City Select, mounting bracket, bean bag and power cable.

Thanks for the tip--couple of questions: Is the Auto navigation kit shipping with version 5 of City Select? And if the kit comes with a car mounting bracket, what do you do with the bean bag? And the power cable plugs into a 12V socket, right?

It looks cheaper to buy the bits separately (at Amazon CS for $107, mounting bracket for $30, 12V cable for $20), unless the bean bag is useful for something.

EDIT: added the Amazon prices

Edited by mochalatte