Electronic Compass

aexp

:o While in route to finding my first cache yesterday, I changed my setting for compass orientaion from "GPS course" to "Magnetic North", assuming that I would then be able to use the electronic compass for my search, even when I was not moving. To my surprise, the compass screen danced all over the place and was useless. Was I using the system correctly and does anyone have an opinion on the use of this setting and or the best way to utilize it during the hunt?

Thanks for the help

what GPSr?

Have you ever done a full calibration of the compass? If not, take the 5 minutes to do it. I have the Meriplat and have not had any issues with using the compass. I do, when I change batteries do a quick calibration and once a month or so do a full calibration. This has to be done with any electronic compass, as the calibration changes with time as the electrical fields will fluctuate. I may not be saying this exactally right, but it is something I have niticed.

Did you calibrate your compass? I know the eTrex Vista requires that you calibrate the compass each time you change the batteries.

Also, is there a lot of iron in the area? There are some iron rich areas here in NJ that make regular compasses and the compass in my GPS go batty. I have to shut off the electronic compass in certain areas.

But generally, I find it to work fairly well.

Edited by briansnat

I have calibrated the compass, but only upon initial use. I have certainly changed batteries a few times over the last two months, so I will calibrate again to see if it makes a difference. Do most of you who have access to an electronic compass use it in the field or do you stay with the GPS positioning system?

After 17 months and 500+ caches found with my trusty Garmin V and an old-fashioned Silva compass, I've recently acquired a Magellan SporTrak Color as a second GPS. I'm thinking, use the Garmin V in the car and the SporTrak in the field, in part because the Magellan has a built-in electronic compass. I would be interested in hearing reports from others on how useful this feature is. I am very used to the directional arrow on my Garmin V moving all over the place when I get to ground zero, stop, turn around and search for the cache. It doesn't "know" which way I'm going sometimes. At that point, I pull out my Silva and orient the GPS to the compass. Does it get any better at ground zero with a built in electronic compass?

I have the Meridian Platinum (Magellan) witch has the electronic compass and I have (in my whole 14 caches) found it invaluable, especially in the last 100 feet. I would not give it up for anything. (neither the MeriPlat nor Electronic Compass)

The electronic compas on the Meriplat work independently from the GPS functions. You do not have to be moving for it to work, nor do you have to hold it a certain way. Works as well flat as it does held at an angle or straight up and down. The key is to run through the full calibration and take the time to do it right once in a while.

I love it.

[Edited for content]

Edited by Deckyon

I'm also in the market to upgrade my current Magellan 315 and, like the idea of the builtin electronic compass. Good to hear it is a truly handy feature.

Question: Is it a real perk to get the "3D type" with which you can supposedly hold the GPSr at any angle & the compass works,, or is that just a frilly feature?

Nuther (offtopic) question: What would you suggest a far market price for a Magellan 315 in mint condition should be? It works perfectly & not a scratch on it :o

Can't answer on the Magellan 315... Check eBay and see what they are going for.

As to the Compass, get the 3-D version, which will be what you get in the Meridian Platinum and above. I think the SportTracks with the feature also sport the 3-d compas.

Since I use the GPSr in the car, with the Windshield Mount, it stands almost vertical, and yes, I use the compas in the car and it works great.

I also have a MeriPlat and love it! Keep in mind that the magnetic compass is affected by large chunks of metal (like your engine) nearby so you may start with the map screen for driving and switch to the compass screen once you get close...

Edit to add content...

FWIW, when I was running the 3.08 version firmware the compass was (on my unit) unaffected, but when I upgraded(?) to 4.06(?) it went wacky./ There is newer firmware now but I don't run it yet...

Edited by The Commissar

You would benefit from the 5.12 for the compass. it also fixes more than that, and adds direct route support (if you get the software) and more. there is a faq on the magellan site and in the Yahoo Magellan groups.

It is worth the upgrade. It also removed the waypoint limit (I think, but have not tried)

I was running the 3.12 version until lately, when I upgraded to the 5.12 and love it! I have been getting an EPE of 7' most of the time. As far as the compass goes, I have been setting it to read off "GPS Course" so it doesn't go whacky while in the car. Even on this setting all the time, it won't spin around like crazy when you stop, as it remembers the last direction it was traveling in, and holds that position until you start moving again. On a recent all-day cache run, it was dead-on accurate and got me to the caches ahead of the other two cachers I was with. Of course, having wide open Arizona skies helps with accuracy, too..... :o

I use the Etrex Vista. I have the GPS compass set to over ride the electronic compass when traveling over 4mph. Set like this the 2D vs. 3D is not an issue. When going that last few yards (i.e. at a slower walking speed) it switches over to the e compass...I find it easier to hold it level and just look at the compass...it points right to the cache.

2D or 3D I would DEFINATELY suggest the electronic compass

Edited by Mahly

I have a Vista and it does the same thing if I am near the cache. So will yours. The reason for this is that the target keeps changing position due to the error inherent in the "lock"> Since you are so close to the cache (I'm assuming the needle does not dance when you're further away), as the final coordinates change their position, the bearing arrow will jump to direct you to the cache. One second the cache is on this of of you and the next it's on the other due to the error. Well, the compass arrow tries to direct you so it bounces too. It's not much use once you're basically there. Start looking around.

The magentic compass on board will not jump like that the further away you are because the error is minor compared to the distance. Also, if you lose the satellites, (and you bothered to note the azimuth the bearing was at when the arrow was there) you can now follow the compass rose which continues to work to the direction of the cache.

Alan

Edited by Alan2