Hands-free Gps

Does anybody have a good method for carrying their GPSr in some kind of holster or harness that allows it to stay locked on to the satellites.

My need is for a hands-free method of carrying my GPSr that is secure while I engage in vigorous movement (climbing, bushwhacking, running, skiing, etc.), and still maintains a signal. Just putting it in my pocket does not meet these requirements. The same goes for putting it in a backpack or camel-bak pouch (in addition to being inconvenient).

I also want the unit to be handy.

Thanks for your ideas

I have put mine in the mesh waterbottle holder on the side of my pack before, but that isn't the best place for quick accessibility. I cached once while I had my fishing vest on and stuck the GPS in one of the front pockets with the antenna sticking out. That seemed to work pretty well. That might not work as well with something like e.g an etrex though. I had a Magellan 315 then.

edited in light of Welch's comment.

Edited by carleenp

I have taken one of the Cell Phone putton clips and used a screw to fix the button to the MeriPlat and then I put the belt clip on the horizontal chest strap on my backpack. Works great.

When I get a chance, I will get some pictures.

Also, what do you have?

My GPS came with a waterproof pouch with a lanyard attached. I put the GPS in upside-down and put the lanyard around my neck. When I need to look and see where I am I just pick it up and look at it. If you are wearing a pack (as I do) you can secure it just about anywhere on the front of the pack with the same results.

Edited by Ox
The GPS V is on my left shoulder strap, you can see the antenna pointing upward. The digital camera is on the right one.

7ad47fa7-46ab-4761-9665-6358f186f489.jpg

I can't be positive, but is that a boonie(sp?) on your dog? Looks like a scene from Rambo!! :o

I need to do some of the caches where you are at if you need all that gear :D

I have an eTrex and purchased Garmin's carrying case made for the eTrex. I clip it to the top of my shoulder strap on my pack. Before I bought this, I'd keep it in the mesh pocket on the side of my pack. It didn't keep as good a lock there, because sometimes it would shift and not be in a good positon to get reception. On my shoulder, it keeps a lock throughout my hike.l

I clip the lanyard to the daisy chain on my shoulder strap with an oval ‘bineer. (If I'm using a pack without the daisy on the strap, I just tie a overhand on a bite with the left over length of the adjusting strap and clip to that) Then I place the GPSr facing up on top of my pack underneath the haul handle. It stays pretty well there, and I can just tug on the lanyard when I need it. If you don't have a carabineer I guess you could girth hitch it. With everything tied to the pack I don't have to worry about forgetting, or dropping anything.

I like to over pack when I am hiking so when I do overnight trips, when I need a full pack, my pack doesn’t feel so much heavier.

GPS developers need to to insert the reciever into a hat and display information through your sunglasses. Allows for a little more situational awareness. I can't stand walking and staring at my GPS, makes for a lot of tripping.

With the belt case, I can attach it to any number of points on my pack's shoulder straps. When I need as accurate track as I can get, I clip it to the adjustment strap of my ball cap. Side pocket of my butt pack works okay depending on the birds that day if I have nothing high to attach to.

Without the case, I can slip it in the shoulder epaulat (I think that's what that strap on the shoulder for holding insignia is called) of my coat with a rubber band holding it secure. It has stayed there through a couple falls on icy/muddy slopes. If I had a vest without the stap, I would sew one on. It works great. One of my packs also has an elastic strap runnin g most of the lentgth of the shoulder strap that I can tuck the unit under.

Niteize has a pretty interesting hands free "GPS holster" that might be what you're looking for. I don't have one so I don't know if it's any good or not, but is sure looks pretty cool...or nerdly...you decide! Niteize

PS. The product demonstration video shows how to carry it handsfree while in a postion to get a signal.

Edited by Ericache

The NiteIze product (all of them) are pretty cool... great, but corny demo videos. I will have to look into the PDA version, since I know the MeriPlat will never fit in the little GPS pouch and the large one not really needed, since I have a solution already.

Cool link, though.

Edited by Deckyon

I have 2 pieces of Velcro rope. (available from REI) it is essentially the two opposite sides of the Velcro sewn together back to back. I make a loop around my GPSr and one around the strap of my pack up on top of my shoulder. So when I want to get it out of my hand I just stick it up on my shoulder. It keeps a lock up there very well and wont fall of if I bend over.

I do however have an overwhelming desire to keep saying “I dare you to call it regular!” (only older people will get that.) [:lol:]

Yak Man

1645883_500.jpg

Here the wife models our method to hold the GPS in front of some Mountain Laurel. The GPS is on the right shoulder strap, and there is a ball compass on the left. System works great.

Note the green strap that holds the GPS to the backpack. It does prevent droppage.

Waterboy With Wife

Hows this. find a short person, maybe 4 feet tall and have them wear a hard hat and epoxy a gps mount to the hard hat for your gps and have them walk in front of you. :lol:

or there is a GPS you can get for about $180.00 that is just a GPSR that tansmitts nav info via blue tooth. Mount this to your hat ( No you will not get brain cancer)and use a pDA or Pocket PC with blue tooth and GPS sofware.

Folks, what a helpful bunch of responses you have provided. Someone mentioned that this topic had been covered. Unfortunately my meager attempts to search the posts yielded nothing. So this has been very useful.

As I mentioned in my opening post, I need something that will handle rugged, vigorous situations. Following is a sample of the kinds of caches I'm into.

Hunt Cache

Blacktail Mountain

The Bum's Rush

Maiden Rock @ Lake Pend Oreille

So, I am leaning more towards a pack strap or other chest mounted setup. Criminal's setup looks pretty interesting. I wear a Camelbak and their cell phone holster looked interesting at first, but I think it is too small for my rather chunky Meridian.

The NiteIze looks interesting, too, but I'll have to find it someplace else besides the Evil Empire (I mean Walmart).

The ultimate setup, of course, would be to have the GPSr unit safely tucked in my pack, with a remote antenna perched on my hat, and a heads-up display (HUD) in my sunglasses. Anybody working on this? Need a Beta tester?

Oh, and here's another thought about the HUD, while we're on the subject. You should be able to turn it on and off, at will, fairly easily. At times it could be an unwanted distraction. I'm thinking of a synapse pulse sensor of some sort. (Say that quickly, five times.) For example, if you ground your teeth a certain way you could toggle the HUD on or off.

Cache on!

Mark, you asked in an email what pack (tactical style) I'm using, thought I'd answer here.

I'm using an older version of this pack. Sadly, Camekbak has lost me forever as a customer due to piss poor customer service. The bladder in my pack leaked right out of the box, right as I was getting ready to deploy. They had so many hoops to jump through to exchange their faulty product, I just bought a Platypus bladder and have used it ever since. I no longer support camelbak, there are too many good companies making good packs.

Blackhawk is one.

Eagle industries makes some nice packs as well.

I also use a standard militay belt/suspenders set up with a butt pack for short jaunts.

130e953d-feb8-4966-b72f-3ca0bfb3a05b.jpg

c9996689-7fc3-41c2-aa1b-66b29264f5cd.jpg

Edited by Criminal
My wife, the RN, insists that the original bladders for the Camelbaks were just large enema bags. Do you have an older Camelbak? If so maybe you got a recycled bladder. It might explain the bad taste of the water. :)  :)

The very first prototype WAS made from medical equipment. So this is not too far fetched.

I like SBPhishy's reply

back on topic. BAD Cherokeecacher, bad.

I am actually headed to my local bike shop right now. They say they have the CammelBak Cell phone pouch. I will take my MeriGold, and see if it fits. I am also heading to the local Army Surplus store, and will see if any of their "add on" pouches will work. I have needed to do this for a while, and my trip is next week. I will post any useful info when I return.

Edited to correctly spell my name :o

Edited by Cherokeecacher
My wife, the RN, insists that the original bladders for the Camelbaks were just large enema bags. Do you have an older Camelbak? If so maybe you got a recycled bladder. It might explain the bad taste of the water. :)  :)

The very first prototype WAS made from medical equipment. So this is not too far fetched.

I like SBPhishy's reply

I am actually headed to my local bike shop right now. They say they have the CammelBak Cell phone pouch. I will take my MeriGold, and see if it fits. I am also heading to the local Army Surplus store, and will see if any of their "add on" pouches will work. I have needed to do this for a while, and my trip is next week. I will post any useful info when I return.

I have that cell phone holder. The Garmin V barely fits, and the cover will not close with it inside.

I use The Ultimate GPS Case for my MeriPlat.

There are 2 "D" rings on the side that let you attach a shoulder strap or attach it to a backpack. Front pocket holds either my PDA or camera, and the side mesh pockets holds spare AA's, pens & flashlights.

Two questions:

1- The manufacturer's claims notwithstanding, do you think it will hold a Magellan Meridian? (6.3"L x 2.8"W x 1.3"D)

2- Does your GPS keep satellite lock with the pouch flap covering the antenna?

I use The Ultimate GPS Case for my MeriPlat.

There are 2 "D" rings on the side that let you attach a shoulder strap or attach it to a backpack. Front pocket holds either my PDA or camera, and the side mesh pockets holds spare AA's, pens & flashlights.

Two questions:

1- The manufacturer's claims notwithstanding, do you think it will hold a Magellan Meridian? (6.3"L x 2.8"W x 1.3"D)

To answer question 1, The MeriPlat that Stunod spoke of is a Magellan Meridian Platinum. So it would fit.

I cant answer the second question.

A guy left a card at an event we had last weekend. It might be just what your looking for. Check out www.gpswalkabout.com

Some of the pictures on this web site are hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the picture of the hunter climbing a tree with his GPSr in front of him. I guess he's just using it as an altimeter at that point.

To answer question 1, The MeriPlat that Stunod spoke of is a Magellan Meridian Platinum. So it would fit.

Thanks for the education on the definition of "Meriplat". For the life of me I couldn't find a Meriplat on the Magellan web site.

Edited by Mark from Careywood

Good news and bad news. I found a great pouch at the Army Surplus store, BUT it does not have a manufacturers tag or model number. The pouch was only $9.99US and I did have to buy a 2 pack of Velcro straps that attach it to my Camelback, and that was only $2.99US. These are not just pieces of Velcro; they are straps with Velcro on the ends to secure them after wrapping them around something. It is sturdier than it sounds.

I like SBPhishy's reply

I have that cell phone holder. The Garmin V barely fits, and the cover will not close with it inside.

I just saw one of the new ones like I linked to and it is very different than the one I got several years ago for which my Garmin V fits. Not sure the new one would work as well since I did not have my GPSr with me.

I have an eTrex and purchased Garmin's carrying case made for the eTrex. I clip it to the top of my shoulder strap on my pack. Before I bought this, I'd keep it in the mesh pocket on the side of my pack. It didn't keep as good a lock there, because sometimes it would shift and not be in a good positon to get reception. On my shoulder, it keeps a lock throughout my hike.l

That's what I do and if I 'm traveling super lite I clip it to the collar of my vest or jacket..

The GPS V is on my left shoulder strap, you can see the antenna pointing upward.  The digital camera is on the right one. 

I have a similar setup. I use an extra pocket that is made by camel bak that attaches to the front of the shoulder strap of there products. I think it was originally designed to hold a cell phone and other nick-nacks. But it is perfect for my Garmin GPS V. It keeps the GPSr, and especially the antenna out in the open. The only thing on me that blocks it from line of sight to the satelites is my unually large cranium :)

I may disagree with Criminal. I manage to get my GPS5 in the Camel Bak pouch. The velcro on the flap doesn't fully overlap, but it comes together enough to secure it...then again, maybe I am pressing my luck :o

I am all about the GPS reading from the inside of glasses....I'll work on it!

Edited by Imalookin
Two questions:

1. Already answered by others as yes.

2. Yes...no problem at all. I usually use a shoulder strap and have the case ride just above my right hip. I don't have any problem losing sat lock.