Garmin Software Recommendations?

I think it limits you to some extent as to the software, but I can't be sure. I use a Legend, and have MapSource MetroGuide loaded in mine. It's great for travelling, but I know a lot of cachers use the Topo software for caching, as it will show elevation changes, trails, and bodies of water. That would have been very helpful to me on a couple of occasions, as it would have told me that I was on the wrong side of a river....

MetroGuide-USA is probably the best all-around mapping program for the Legend. It has the same map content of the US as City Select and is less expensive since it doesn't include the auto-routing support which your Legend can't use anyway (both will autoroute on your PC, but City Select also supports it on some GPS units). MG-USA has very good street-level detail and many business locations, but doesn't include elevation information or many trails. USTopo has the elevation data and some more trails but is way out-of-date on road/street data and lacks addresses or even road names in many cases. Since these topo maps are based on the 1:100000 series of USGS maps you're usually better off taking paper 1:24000 maps along and using those together with the street maps on the Legend.

I hope you'll have access to a PC for downloading maps regularly because the 8 MB memory of the Legend won't hold maps for much of an area at a time.

Again guys and gals... thank you!

I have my unit and I'm having trouble getting EASYGPS to communicate with my Garmin GPS Legend.

Can someone explain how I can download a waypoint to my Garmin?

Here's what I've done so far to avoid overlap and maybe help with troubleshooting.

The serial cable is connected. The garmin is in GARMIN interface mode. I've downloaded a waypoint to the EASYGPS program and click on SEND but, nothing happens...

Can someone provide some guidance?

THANKS!!!

RP :rolleyes:

I hope this doesn't sound too basic, but of course your Legend is ON, correct? Make sure the com port is correctly set (Com1). Go to FILE/Preferences, and select your GPS unit (Garmin etrex Legend). Also, click GPS/Test Serial connection. This tests to see if you are connected properly. By looking at these steps it should work. I use this program with both my Legend, and my new Map60C. Good luck!

Timpat,

Thanks for the response!

I hadn't configured the program for the GPS... in short, I hadn't gone to preferences and set the eTrex Legend as the GPS. Seems to be working well now...

Second question...

Can I rename waypoints to something other than the standard GCHXXX?

I had a problem when I changed laptop computers. I could download maps and waypoints to my GPS, but when I changed computers I found that I couldn't.

First, I discovered that my serial port was only built for mice, not hooking up GPSs to. To solve this problem, I bought a Keyspan USB to serial port device.

Second, I discovered that COM 1 was set aside for my mouse/touchpad. All of my COM port were set up for Bluetooth, so I changed COM 6 so it was open. Then I had to tell EasyGPS that my GPS was on COM 6, because for some reason it could not find my GPS.

The whole thing was a headache, until I solved what all the problems were. Mapsource still do not think that there are any more then 4 COM ports, but after I set up EasyGPS, it discovered COM 6. Go figure.

I hope this helps. I must have spent at least 10 to 20 hours trying to solve all the problems on trying to get my computer talking to my GPS.

I bought Roads and Rec many years ago for my III+ and after owning city select 4 and 5 for my V and now 60, roads and rec is far superior for rural areas, has streams and dirt roads, you can buy it cheap too, it also takes up very little space, but has no routing. I usually load both city select for the services and roads and rec, I can load the whole state of iowa and surrounding area plus a good amount of city select and use either map when I want too. My wife has a Legend and it works great for her, she can load quite a few maps with the 8MB available. If you are more interested in rural areas and parks and things of that sort, I would recomend it, it is now obsolete and cheap too, still works fine on the 60C though, just my opinion.

Matt

Edited by gessner17
I guess I should add that I have a Garmin eTrex Legend.... Doesn't that affect what types of software I can utilize?

I have used Mapsource software with my eTrex Legend and Vista. I have both Topo and MetroGuide USA Ver 4.01

I understand that MetroGuide USA Ver 5 has more junk in it called "Points of Interest."

I really like both, but I tend to use MetroGuide more then Topo, unless I'm planning on going into the rural areas.

Can I rename waypoints to something other than the standard GCHXXX?

Nevermind... I figured it out! :bad: It's pretty simple in EASYGPS... just select the waypoint and then choose "EDIT WAYPOINT" after right-clicking on it.

I'm REALLY excited about this! It's getting easier (and I'm discovering things that I didn't think that this GPS would do... like 'services off of exits'... neat gadget!) I just need to find more time to go caching now! LOL!

So far, I'm working A-O-K on COM1 on my desktop. We'll see how it works out once I download the software at work on my laptop... might be a different story then I suppose.... hopefully not.

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!