For Any Newbies Looking To Purchase Their First Gp

We are not intending this as an advert, but we would like to recommend the website Global Positioning Systems to anybody starting out in this game.

We purchased our first GPSr last May for £45 less than the going rate... Argos are now listing it in their new catalogue at £40 over what we paid back then... and they even threw in our first two sets of batteries for free.

Yesterday we ordered a PDA, with GPS and Tom Tom from them, and paid for delivery before noon today. Sadly for them, the Royal Mail have let them down and the delivery will now be tomorrow. They have already refunded the cost of all postage (within 20 minutes of our e-mail to them.) Once again they were much cheaper than anybody else for the kit we wanted... this time to the tune of about £100.

We have heard other good reports from them, and find it refreshing that a company such as this does not skimp on customer service in order to deliver their low prices.

I'd like to second that! :o I've recently had from them PDA, with GPS and Tom Tom and a dash-mount. I managed to lose one of the plastic bits that hold the PDA underneath so I thought I would try an email to them in the offchance that they might be able to send me a spare. Well I got an email straight back from them saying a new piece is in the post FOC. I bought my Garmin Legend from them too when I started Geocaching last year.

Edited by dogastus
Yesterday we ordered a PDA, with GPS and Tom Tom from them

Looks like we will have to have a joint caching trip to try them out - wonder if Tom Tom can "accidentally" find another beer festival for us on our travels!! :)

I'd certainly back up your comments on GPS Ltd - price & customer service are outstanding.

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider
Or you could buy one off me.  I've got some Yellow Etrex, factory sealed.

£80.00 plus post.  A bargain.  and you also help a poverty stricken student through his studies.  :)  :o

I wish I'd known that back in August last year when I first started caching - I paid £100 for mine!!! :P

-------------

btw - first ever post in the chat forums for me. I've been reading the comments for the past few months and decided it was time I introduced myself. :)

Looks like we will have to have a joint caching trip to try them out - wonder if Tom Tom can "accidentally" find another beer festival for us on our travels!! :)

Funny that, my Tom Tom Turbo Totty has never led me to Beer festivals, she does take me to lots of lovely shops though, I don't know how to turn that feature off and I don't care!!!1

Thank you, Bill.

I see you have had a 'butchers' at my profile! :) I have quite a few more caches to find in N Yorks before we move south. I'll miss the countryside around here - the Dales and the Moors are beautiful.

I've already done a couple of caches in Wiltshire (Heaven's Gate and King Alfred burnt the Vikings) and look forward to exploring the area later this year.

Yesterday we ordered a PDA, with GPS and Tom Tom from them

I'd certainly back up your comments on GPS Ltd - price & customer service are outstanding.

Cheers!

Seasider

Been playing with Tom Tom for a few days now... no "beer festivals" in the POI database :D:)

Awaiting CAMRA putting the beer guide into some kind of waypoin format so that we can always get a decent pint during caching trips.

Used the petrol station POIs for the first time yesterday... first one was too expensive, then Tom Tom found a garage 4p a lite cheaper just a mile away :D

Up for a caching trip... but as I'm working the next 21 days straight we'll have to put it on ice for a while... of course on our next scheduled meeting, decent beer will be the order of the day as it will end at the pub we found the festival at.. and I'm hoping to have a request for Old Tom satisfied by the landlord. Maybe we could give him some more business by having a cache event there once there's a couple more caches on a certain little "hill"

Looks like we will have to have a joint caching trip to try them out - wonder if Tom Tom can "accidentally" find another beer festival for us on our travels!!  :D

Funny that, my Tom Tom Turbo Totty has never led me to Beer festivals, she does take me to lots of lovely shops though, I don't know how to turn that feature off and I don't care!!!1

Well... Tom Tom didn't actually find it... but we were in the midst of a caching trip (OK we'd done one!) when we decided to go have a light refreshment. I took Seasider to a pub that I'd been past just two days before... and I hadn't noticed the huge poster on the front of the building (honest!)

So... caching trip got put on ice and beer was tasted... purely in the interests of quality control of course! Seems that Seasider really isn't a stats man, as it only takes 20 or so decent ales to have him saying "Cache? What cache?" :):):D

Edited by NattyBooshka

This is not exactly on the topic….but. I use(d) a Garmin GPS III, it has been reliable for years. However, recently it started to show a “memory battery low” warning. Having followed the advice from the Garmin website, which didn’t fix it, I called in at Garmin at Romsey. Within 10 minutes they had changed and upgraded my GPS for a new GPS III plus. In spite of me explaining that my unit was years out of warranty. How’s that for customer service? :D

Or you could buy one off me. I've got some Yellow Etrex, factory sealed.

£80.00 plus post. A bargain. and you also help a poverty stricken student through his studies. B)B)

You could buy one through Alex and not get screwed by customs! It's something like 20% extra!

MarcB

Thats £80 pay now for a Garmin etrex

Is that a good price ?

Apologies if this is against any forum rules BTW

If you buy anything from the USA you run the risk of being clobbered for VAT, Import Duty and a service charge from Parcelforce for collecting the tax. That will put the actual cost at well over 100 pounds.

Better to spend 80 quid and buy one from someone if the UK. If you look earlier in this thread, you will find someone who is selling a brand new factory sealed Etrex for 80 quid.

A.

(rules? what rules?)