Garmin Ique3600

I cache with an iQue and an iQue only, I've never seen the battery meter below 80%. The article you pointed at states that the battery life is 2 hours when using the Backlight & voice direction.. turn these off & the battery lasts over twice that time, the screen is easy to read in daylight with the backlight off.

Couple the iQue with Cachemate and there's all the Geocaching equipment you need.

I often finish work, do a "find nearest cache" search in Cachemate, let the iQue direct me to the closest parking spot, use the CacheNav plugin in Cachemate to take me to the cache, log the find, and then.. "find nearest cache" and off I go again.

The beauty of this is that I don't have to prepare for a trip, I just have to have my Que with me and I'm all set.

I was considering getting a 60c to compliment the Que, but it simply can't do as much, the only benefit would be the rugged construction, which isn't as issue if you think before you do something stupid! :o (Stash the que, climb the hill...)

-S.

(edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Peztone
This Article might change your opinion of the iQue's usefulness in Geocaching.

Bret

Looks like the problems they had (less the hoarked up screen) are the same problems common to all GPSrs.

Don't forget about the battery that had to be recharged every 2 hours.

Bret

Oh yeah. They did say that was with full bright on the screen, and voice prompting turned on (although I don't think there is too much prompting, in off-road mode, which is what you would use for caching).

I don't do a lot of caches that take more than 3 or so hours (much of that time with the GPS off), but it would suck to run out of battery, during the hunt.

I don't do a lot of caches that take more than 3 or so hours (much of that time with the GPS off), but it would suck to run out of battery, during the hunt.

That's how I cache, and the iQue has gone all day under those conditions, however I do carry a 4xAA battery extender box in my pocket just in case (I've never needed to use it), it's a tiny thing to carry.

As an experiment I plugged the battery box into the iQue, put the backlight on, and left it playing MP3's at high volume through headphones, it lasted 14 hours...

Edited by Peztone

:lol: I only use my iQue also. I carry the same backup 4 AA recharger. Unless you are into 2 to 3 day hikes there should be no problem. Also, the screen will timeout (1 - 3 minutes) but the GPS continues to track. Hit the power button every so often for updates should (and does) increase the battery life.

For more info check out the forums at:

pdastreet.com

Does the batt extender charge the unit while plugged in? can you load mapsource and topo maps on to the sd card and use them in this unit?

Have either of the iQue users dropped the unit yet?? If so, what was the result. I just don't think they have what it takes when it comes to durability.

Yes, the batt extender does charge the internal battery, takes about 30 mins for a full charge if you're not using it, longer if you are.

Yes you can load mapsource & topo maps, get a 512meg memory card and have them all available at the same time, I have "Fugawi" UK topo maps in mine which are as detailed as you can get.

I said earrlier that it's lack of ruggedness is it's only downfall but I'm happy to run that risk, I don't do any climbing/scrambling unless it's safely in my inside pocket and I have both hands free so it's no big deal to me. Having said that you can get an "otter box" for it which out ruggeds any stand alone GPS...

-S.

The iQue is excellent for caching. Everything you need is included. I haven't found the battery life to be any problem either, since it recharges when you go back to the car.

If it's wet, then add a protective box. Then you can still keep everything in one unit, instead of having to use a PDA and a GPS as separate things.