Post Count

Divine

The post count has raised discussion several times in these forums. There's always someone who blames someone else for posting just to up his/her post count. And every time everyone keeps saying the number doesn't mean anything to them and that they would post anyway.

Reading the Gc.com forums and keeping up with all the information even at only a couple of forums with today's amount of messages has become quite time-taking a job, partly because there's quite a big amount of white noise (like quarreling/bragging/blathering on the post count, which usually has nothing to do with geocaching, and quite seldom is worth reading in any way) mixed in.

Since no one really, according their own words, seems to care about the post count anyway, could it - in order to reduce some of the white noise - be totally removed from under the avatar picture? Or does anyone have any good grounds for the benefits of visible post count?

I'll play a little devil's advocate (funny that would be with a guy with horns in his avatar) :lol:

I find post counts, or actually the count showing a lack of posts, useful at times. First, it gives me an idea of how familiar the person is with posting in the forum. I would tread more carefully with a newbie in my comments than with someone who had posted some. Second, it allows me to identify possible sock puppets that I might wish to ignore. Third, I guess it gives me some frame of reference about how active a person is here outside of those who are obviously very active all the time. I'm not sure why that third ones matters much to me, it just does and I am unable to really articulate it for some reason. Finally, the talk about post counts and the idea that some might post simply to increase the count doesn't bother me, so I have no reason to particularly want the post counts to go away.

edited to re-phrase things slightly.

Edited by carleenp

Well, without post counts, people like Harrald wouldn't be able to bash me for my post to find ratio....and don't tell me that doesn't happen, because it does.....and he's not the only one, just one of the worst at it.....

Why hasn't smurf-boy posted here yet? I figured he'd pipe in about scrolling past the posts from people you don't want to hear from... :o

Does it hurt you if someone is posting "just to post"?

You can always scroll right by what they have to say. It's pretty easy to do that.

No, it doesn't really hurt. And I do scroll, I just prefer not doing it in case someone actually has something to say.

So, did you have any good grounds for the benefits of visible post count?

You can always scroll right by what they have to say. It's pretty easy to do that.

No, it doesn't really hurt. And I do scroll, I just prefer not doing it in case someone actually has something to say.

Do you have any good grounds for taking it away?

I thought so. :o

To answer your question: Yes. However, I wasn't interested in them when I created this thread.

I think Divine has a good point in asking why there should be post counts if people have not stated specific reasons for it.

I gave some reasons. I also don't think it is wrong if anyone simply likes them because they like to see their high post count. That is OK with me.

But what is getting posted seems to be general statements of "what are they hurting?" or "why not get rid of them," which isn't answering Divine's intitial question.

I don't advocate getting rid of post counts, but I'm curious to see the justifications for having them. :o

Interesing Idea Divine. However, dropping the numbers from public view may just spur a bunch of 'hey how many posts do you really have' white noise threads.

Perhaps change from the exact number to some visual display. Color, symbols, or number of symbols. Then set the lowest to anyone under say 20 posts, everyone elase up to a few thousands (go below the wet cat so Sparky isn't forced to post his way there :o ), and those above that to something else.

Would this kill most of any "Must post 24 more times to get to XX00 by Monday" stuff?

Yeah, thanks for appropriate replies carleenp and welch. :o I find the carleenp's reasons quite intelligible and welch's idea of visual display would actually work with points given by her. I've seen forums where the post count has been managed only by certain titles given to members, which change when the post count exceeds certain limits (like the tadpole-thing here).

Of course I'm fully aware that there will always be white noise when there are web forums (and I'm not innocent at all of creating some myself). However, the less white noise the better, and scrolling by some frivolous nonsense is worse than not having to scroll at all.

However, the less white noise the better, and scrolling by some frivolous nonsense is worse than not having to scroll at all.

That's all a matter of opinion, and I respect your opinion. As for me, if it weren't for the white noise (whether coming from me or not), I wouldn't enjoy the forums nearly as much. It's the diversity of replies and posts that make the forums a well-rounded experience and study of social behavior. I'm not a black-and-white, yes-or-no type of person. It's the middle ground, the grey area that makes things interesting. :o

EDIT: I realize that's an off-topic response, and I'm sorry. I just think the whole topic is yet another dead horse.

On topic: Seeing the number of posts a user has in a forum is a way of letting people know how they should expect to respond to that person. The more posts a person has, obviously, the more experience at discussion they have. This does not always hold true, and I know there are lurkers who could answer pretty much any question posed to them, but in general, that is why I think we should have post counts. As for me, I don't care what mine is, but yes, I do often make (and receive) jokes about it. That's just how I am. I'll continue to make light of my post count as long as people laugh about it with me.

Edited by Sparky-Watts
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a growing trend in mentioning my name everytime the "post count" subject comes up? :D:o:D:P;)

Yup, I've been wondering the same... Beats me. :D

What do you think, could there be good reasons to keep the post count visible as it is? I recall you saying you don't care about the count itself.

I do not understand why it is good or bad to have a high or low post count ???

Could you pls let me know  ?????

It's not about if high/low post count is good/bad. It's just so tiresome and futile to scroll through posts where a disgruntled geocacher accuses another for posting too much or just for upping his/her count or being incompetent to join the discussion because of low count or whatnot.

Usually at those situations people rush to explain that their post count (whether it is high or low) doesn't have any meaning to them and that they don't care about other people's post counts either. This drove me to start this topic where I wanted to know if people actually benefit from the post count and are there grounds for keeping it visible as it is. So far I've got some fairly good answers.

Sparky, you agrued well for visible post count, and I also liked the off-topic part of your post. I don't consider myself a B/W or on/off person either (for example, if I meet a jerk from another country, it doesn't make me immediately hate that whole country :o ), and I share your interest in human/social behavior too. However, to me, these forums are above all geocaching forums, and despite I've enjoyed my share of the white noise here too, I've found the distress that the post count talk sometimes causes is just fruitless and it could be perhaps avoided.

Being a middle ground man yourself, Sparky, how did you find the idea of just visualizing the post count? Wouldn't see the exact post number, wouldn't have to completely remove them either; instead go the middle way and use inaccurate, classified post count.

Edited by Divine
Being a middle ground man yourself, Sparky, how did you find the idea of just visualizing the post count? Wouldn't see the exact post number, wouldn't have to completely remove them either; instead go the middle way and use inaccurate, classified post count.

I still think there would be similar discussions because one cacher is a blue poster, the other a red poster, etc. There would still be accusations of posting just to reach the next color, or stage. And still people would be dismissed and judged by being a lower level poster. So, no, whether it is visible by numbers, symbols, colors, names, etc., would not stop the white noise.

Besides, there are a lot more sources of white noise on the threads than just the post count, and I think it would be an uphill battle (and create even more white noise) to try to systematically eliminate them all.

I thought so. :o

To answer your question: Yes. However, I wasn't interested in them when I created this thread.

How about: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The forums have existed just fine with having a post count. If you don't have a reason to take this "feature" away, then just leave it be.

I'll play a little devil's advocate (funny that would be with a guy with horns in his avatar) :lol:

I find post counts, or actually the count showing a lack of posts, useful at times. First, it gives me an idea of how familiar the person is with posting in the forum. I would tread more carefully with a newbie in my comments than with someone who had posted some. Second, it allows me to identify possible sock puppets that I might wish to ignore. Third, I guess it gives me some frame of reference about how active a person is here outside of those who are obviously very active all the time. I'm not sure why that third ones matters much to me, it just does and I am unable to really articulate it for some reason. Finally, the talk about post counts and the idea that some might post simply to increase the count doesn't bother me, so I have no reason to particularly want the post counts to go away.

carleenp:

I understand where you're coming from, BUT:

- when a person posts often enough, you'll recognize the name associated with those posts, you wouldn't need to see a number to know that they participate a good bit

- a new person is likely to get quite a bit of answers to his/her question and can make their decision(s) based on the sum of those answers, without necessarily giving more weight to the person with the most posts (who does not necessarily have the best answers).

I'd vote to ditch the numbers.

:o

I'll play a little devil's advocate (funny that would be with a guy with horns in his avatar)  :lol:

carleenp:

I understand where you're coming from, BUT:

- when a person posts often enough, you'll recognize the name associated with those posts, you wouldn't need to see a number to know that they participate a good bit

- a new person is likely to get quite a bit of answers to his/her question and can make their decision(s) based on the sum of those answers, without necessarily giving more weight to the person with the most posts (who does not necessarily have the best answers).

I'd vote to ditch the numbers.

:o

Yeah, good points there. I certainly would still recognize those who are active because of my own activity. But I know that sometimes I think a person is new, and then see from the post count that they really are not. I'm not sure that it often changes much how I treat them, but it could for some. I do know that I occassionally go out of my way to be nice and helpful to a new poster or I cut them more slack if they are complaining about something. Yet, you are right that the questions would still get answered. Maybe I would even answer more questions if I didn't see post counts. Hard to say. I also wonder about people who don't read the forums often and would like to know how active the person they are reading is. They would not know if they don't visit here often.

You know what, I'll also admit something that I think others might not feel comfortable saying. I like that new people see my post count when I answer a question. I guess I feel it tells them something like "hey look this person has been around awhile." I will admit that is kind of silly and self absorbed though. But your point that posting activity isn't always acurate in terms of knowledge and advice is correct at times.

I do kind of like the suggestion of levels instead of actual numbers. It gives the basic info while taking the focus off the total number some (but not totally). I also like the idea of taking the post count off the main page and putting it in the profile. Then if anyone really cares, they can actively look and see what it is. Would there still be "white noise" about post counts? I think yes, but it might be lessened. Seems like a decent middle road option to me. Then people who want to see counts (and I think there likely are quite a few) can still have that, and those who want less noise about them (I also think quite a few) could maybe have less noise, although I doubt it would disappear. I doubt it would completely disappear without any count actually.

You know though, in the end I would like to see post counts stay, but won't freak out if they get taken away. It is kind of like the images in sig lines for me. I mourned the loss of my animated pikachu, but it is not like it was something that I couldn't live without or was worth throwing fits over. I suppose there though that I knew it could reside elsewhere, which is part of why I like the idea of post counts at least being available in some form somewhere. Yet, I wouldn't throw any fits if they were to disappear.

edited to correct phrasing and to add this: I also have this fear that if post counts were removed that it would cause a bunch of "forum angst." Of course sometimes forum angst makes for entertaining reading, but I tend to think that it is good to try to not cause it without good reason. I'll admit though that is a pretty lame reason to keep post counts. :lol:

Edited by carleenp

Before I retire for the night, let me answer the original question with another rhetorical question: Does anyone really benefit from cache find counts? There is no prize, there is no award, there is no tangible value to the highest cache find count. There is just considerable "white noise" in the forums about what cacher hit 200 over the weekend, what cache should I do for #500, how many caches found in one day, etc, etc, etc......If we do away with cache find counts, then the forums would be greatly uncluttered of this white noise (look down the forum topic pages and count the number of threads associated with cache find counts compared to those associated with post counts). Without all these threads, we could actually discuss geocaching and ways to make the game better, create more clever hides, discuss how to approach land managers, etc, etc, etc.......so, why don't we get rid of cache find counts too?

That kind of thinking can get you into a can of worms you DON"T want to open:

"Oh, sex in public, just look the other way, it's okay".

"Drugs in my kids school, oh, just say no, it will be alright".

"Gay marriages taking place all over the country...." the list goes on and on.

Anyhow, why not have the option to display post counts left to the user? That way it will cut down on posters flooding the forums with MEANINGLESS POSTS just to get to the #1 poster spot, since no one will know exactly how many posts everyone has. In fact, make alot more things optional, including the "caches found" count....

There was a time when these forums didn't even have post counts, and they worked fine without them. Like Sax said, why did they fix it if it ain't broke?

Before I retire for the night, let me answer the original question with another rhetorical question:  Does anyone really benefit from cache find counts?  There is no prize, there is no award, there is no tangible value to the highest cache find count.  There is just considerable "white noise" in the forums about what cacher hit 200 over the weekend, what cache should I do for #500, how many caches found in one day, etc, etc, etc......If we do away with cache find counts, then the forums would be greatly uncluttered of this white noise (look down the forum topic pages and count the number of threads associated with cache find counts compared to those associated with post counts).  Without all these threads, we could actually discuss geocaching and ways to make the game better, create more clever hides, discuss how to approach land managers, etc, etc, etc.......so, why don't we get rid of cache find counts too?

YES! OMG I AGREE WITH SPARKY! THANK YOU!

Before I retire for the night, let me answer the original question with another rhetorical question:  Does anyone really benefit from cache find counts?  There is no prize, there is no award, there is no tangible value to the highest cache find count.  There is just considerable "white noise" in the forums about what cacher hit 200 over the weekend, what cache should I do for #500, how many caches found in one day, etc, etc, etc.....

Talking about the find count is, after all, talking about geocaching, which this forum is created for. I'd consider it much less white noise (gray? :o ) than the vain quarreling about someone posting too much to up his/her numbers. That's not geocaching talk, it's some kind of weird forum metatalk, talking about talking in the forums.

Sure, there is and will always be non-geocaching topics and posts, also other than post count related, in these forums. I'm not saying it all should or could be eliminated, and it is an uphill battle (hey, but so was the Winter War :lol: ), but if something could be done about it without too much trouble and grief, it could be worth it.

Actually I like carleenp's idea of putting the number on the profile page. After all, I like numbers and stats myself. That way those angry accuses of post count upping could be lessened, and the 2k+ gang could still go on joking about their numbers. The positive white noise about post count (joking etc) is much less disturbing than the disgruntled accusations and insults we get to see every now and then.

Edited by Divine
Interesing Idea Divine. However, dropping the numbers from public view may just spur a bunch of 'hey how many posts do you really have' white noise threads.

Perhaps change from the exact number to some visual display. Color, symbols, or number of symbols. Then set the lowest to anyone under say 20 posts, everyone elase up to a few thousands (go below the wet cat so Sparky isn't forced to post his way there :lol: ), and those above that to something else.

Would this kill most of any "Must post 24 more times to get to XX00 by Monday" stuff?

I like the term 'white trash noise'.

But I disagree. Posters wouldn't know about themselves how many posts they have, either. Why not post the Find count instead? That would really show someone's experience.

Before I retire for the night, let me answer the original question with another rhetorical question:  Does anyone really benefit from cache find counts?  There is no prize, there is no award, there is no tangible value to the highest cache find count.  There is just considerable "white noise" in the forums about what cacher hit 200 over the weekend, what cache should I do for #500, how many caches found in one day, etc, etc, etc......If we do away with cache find counts, then the forums would be greatly uncluttered of this white noise (look down the forum topic pages and count the number of threads associated with cache find counts compared to those associated with post counts).  Without all these threads, we could actually discuss geocaching and ways to make the game better, create more clever hides, discuss how to approach land managers, etc, etc, etc.......so, why don't we get rid of cache find counts too?

YES! OMG I AGREE WITH SPARKY! THANK YOU!

Ok,....now I'm scared! :lol::o:lol::lol:

It's a noble gesture, Divine, and I agree, it would eliminate a small fraction of the white noise, but most of all, it would significantly cut down on people trashing the "2k" club for their post count. Honestly, I don't think any of us with over 2k posts are "posting just to up the numbers". I know I'm not. Yeah, I've joked about it, but only because others have brought it up. I'll keep posting as much as I do now, whether or not they show the numbers or not. Same with caching, I'll continue caching at the same rate whether or not there are find counts.

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that people actually think I'm posting to up my numbers, and the only way they will know that's not true is to take away the post count. Well, the same people that complain about my large numbers of posts would still be seeing my large number of posts coming through, so what would they have to complain about then? I don't think the number at the side does much more than remind them that I'm here and posting a lot. With or without, they'll still have to scroll past my drivel. :lol:

It's a noble gesture, Divine, and I agree, it would eliminate a small fraction of the white noise, but most of all, it would significantly cut down on people trashing the "2k" club for their post count.

This is what I was after when I started this thread. I don't have problems with people posting much. I've found many multi-k posters' like briansnat's, Markwell's, Mopar's and, heck, your posts quite helpful and interesting from time to time. Sure, I do often scroll by noninteresting drivel, whether it's pure white noise or something GPS- or geocaching related, if it just doesn't interest me. It's the unavailing bashing of 2k club, which bugs me the most, and that's why I brought up the question of the visible post count possibly benefitting someone too much to be removed.

Honestly, I don't think any of us with over 2k posts are "posting just to up the numbers".  I know I'm not.

I agree, and I wasn't persecuting the 2k club by asking my question in the first place.

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that people actually think I'm posting to up my numbers, and the only way they will know that's not true is to take away the post count.

That would be interesting. I believe there would be equally as much wet cat drivel :lol: here without post count than there is now, but maybe, maybe there would be less bashing and accusing about it if the post count was dropped.

It's a noble gesture, Divine, and I agree, it would eliminate a small fraction of the white noise, but most of all, it would significantly cut down on people trashing the "2k" club for their post count.

This is what I was after when I started this thread. I don't have problems with people posting much. I've found many multi-k posters' like briansnat's, Markwell's, Mopar's and, heck, your posts quite helpful and interesting from time to time. Sure, I do often scroll by noninteresting drivel, whether it's pure white noise or something GPS- or geocaching related, if it just doesn't interest me. It's the unavailing bashing of 2k club, which bugs me the most, and that's why I brought up the question of the visible post count possibly benefitting someone too much to be removed.

Honestly, I don't think any of us with over 2k posts are "posting just to up the numbers".  I know I'm not.

I agree, and I wasn't persecuting the 2k club by asking my question in the first place.

I guess the thing that bothers me most is that people actually think I'm posting to up my numbers, and the only way they will know that's not true is to take away the post count.

That would be interesting. I believe there would be equally as much wet cat drivel :lol: here without post count than there is now, but maybe, maybe there would be less bashing and accusing about it if the post count was dropped.

Very well said.......I knew if I posted enough drivel in this thread, eventually, I'd come up with what you were wanting to hear! :o:lol::lol: Thanks for the thread, I just hope we've both made our point well enough to stop some of the bashing, whether TPTB remove the post count or not. :lol:

Anyhow, why not have the option to display post counts left to the user? That way it will cut down on posters flooding the forums with MEANINGLESS POSTS just to get to the #1 poster spot, since no one will know exactly how many posts everyone has. In fact, make alot more things optional, including the "caches found" count....

There was a time when these forums didn't even have post counts, and they worked fine without them. Like Sax said, why did they fix it if it ain't broke?

You seem to be missing the point every time you read one of my replies. Have you thought about seeing a specialist?

The forum software automatically displays the post-count. GC.com has already made it know that they do not want to modify the software because it would make the next software update difficult to install. Since the post-count is included with the software, they don't want to change it.

Is it such a big deal that some people talk about the post count more than others? You didn't seem to mind when I had reached the "MM Club".

Some people talk about stats, some talk about virts, some talk about their lame code-word micro caches that could fit a logsheet but they're too lazy to maintain one :lol:, some talk about rules, etc...

This is a forum!!! Last time I checked, there was enough bandwidth for everyone. (Even with the wet cat making 27+ posts per day)

...Perhaps change from the exact number to some visual display. Color, symbols, or number of symbols. Then set the lowest to anyone under say 20 posts, everyone elase up to a few thousands (go below the wet cat so Sparky isn't forced to post his way there :lol: ), and those above that to something else.

I like this idea and was going to suggest it, I do like to know how much someone has been around the forum, but don't care about specific post counts (Sparky-Watts).

We are supposed to mention Sparky-Watts any time we say post counts, right?

...Perhaps change from the exact number to some visual display. Color, symbols, or number of symbols. Then set the lowest to anyone under say 20 posts, everyone elase up to a few thousands (go below the wet cat so Sparky isn't forced to post his way there  :lol: ), and those above that to something else. 

I like this idea and was going to suggest it, I do like to know how much someone has been around the forum, but don't care about specific post counts (Sparky-Watts).

We are supposed to mention Sparky-Watts any time we say post counts, right?

Yeah, that seems to be the popular trend! :o

Perhaps change from the exact number to some visual display. Color, symbols, or number of symbols. Then set the lowest to anyone under say 20 posts, everyone elase up to a few thousands (go below the wet cat so Sparky isn't forced to post his way there  :lol: ), and those above that to something else. 

I like the term 'white trash noise'.

But I disagree. Posters wouldn't know about themselves how many posts they have, either. Why not post the Find count instead? That would really show someone's experience.

Acutally they would if it the number were dropped only from "public view". But even if they couldn't see their own, so what? It would be difficult to figure out 'post/whatever' ratios to any exact numbers, but those number are not as telling as some others. I agree, Find counts as you suggest would be more about caching activity then post counts. (To me experience would be related but dependent on numbers, but that a different disscussion.)

(To me experience would be related but dependent on numbers, but that a different disscussion.)

I think it would be more dependent on types of caches than numbers of caches. Someone who has found 1500 micros but no ammo boxes in the woods would be a poor resource to ask about hiding caches in the woods. So, the numbers of caches really still wouldn't mean anything, either.

You seem to be missing the point every time you read one of my replies. Have you thought about seeing a specialist?

The forum software automatically displays the post-count. GC.com has already made it know that they do not want to modify the software because it would make the next software update difficult to install. Since the post-count is included with the software, they don't want to change it.

Is it such a big deal that some people talk about the post count more than others? You didn't seem to mind when I had reached the "MM Club".

Some people talk about stats, some talk about virts, some talk about their lame code-word micro caches that could fit a logsheet but they're too lazy to maintain one :), some talk about rules, etc...

This is a forum!!! Last time I checked, there was enough bandwidth for everyone. (Even with the wet cat making 27+ posts per day)

Maybe I am missing the point in your posts because there is no point to a lot of them. I sure as hell don't need YOU to call me lazy and say that my cache ideas are lame. I have looked at the stats, the ones with the highest forum post counts have some of the least amount of finds. Some people around here need to actually go caching and find out what it's all about, instead of sitting in the forums, quoting rules to everyone and thinking they are important by dictating to others how they should and should not cache.

Edited by TEAM 360

I wonder what it must feel like to post to - say - a forum of dentists, absorbing the terminology and talking like a pro, if all you've ever done is brushing, flossing, and hiding your milk teeth under your pillow.

I suppose no real dentist would be bothered by that, as long as the would-be dentists would not shout down and alienate the professionals, give silly advice to serious interns, and be proud of it to boot. :)

On the other hand, who said that this is a forum for geocachers? Maybe we should just do away with the illusion, and define it as an all-purpose chatroom. GC doesn't seem to mind ...

In the meantime, I don't have a Post-to-Find ratio, but a Find-to-Post ratio, and when it goes below 1, I think it's time to shut up and get a life.

And a cache. :o

Maybe I am missing the point in your posts because there is no point to a lot of them. I sure as hell don't need YOU to call me lazy and say that my cache ideas are lame. I have looked at the stats, the ones with the highest forum post counts have some of the least amount of finds. Some people around here need to actually go caching and find out what it's all about, instead of sitting in the forums, quoting rules to everyone and thinking they are important by dictating to others how they should and should not cache.

Calm down, Jeff. I happen to like a lot of your cache ideas. Code-word micros just aren't one of them.

the rest of this post has been self-moderated