Am I just a "Newbie" going too far?

Og's outfit

I'm a rookie with 5 measley finds under my belt, but I find myself allways thinking and planning my next outing!

I've been reading the various threads out there, trying to find the best method to tracking those elusive caches, and I've learned a lot! WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE!

Here's my silly querry: It's been pretty nasty here lately, weather-wise so I've been preparing. I thought it would be a neat idea to make a "Cache log". I bought a cheap binder and a 3-hole punch in order to save the print-outs from each hunt. I'm going to save the actual pages....you know....the rain-soaked ones with scribbled 13 yr. olds' de-codes on them. I thought that it would make a nice family memory.

Am I going too far? icon_confused.gif

Swimmers would look pretty funny without that water.

My caching partner does that. She puts the cache page on the left side, and she cuts and pastes just our logs on the right page, along with any pics we took.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

And what makes you think your different then some of the rest of us ?

One large (3 inch ) 3-ring for our found caches.

One (1 inch ) for Oregon,

One (1 inch ) for Washington,

One (1 inch ) for Idaho,

One (1 inch ) for Montana

One (3 inch ) for Oregon Historical Markers.

Plus whatever I have on the laptop, about 1.2 gig worth of maps, routes, waypoints and other stuff.

Plus several write-in-the-rain notebooks for field notes, plus a clipboard with scratch and note paper in the truck.

Starting to scare myself now.

later, logscaler.

Well so far you've got me beat on actual finds, hehe, but like you I started a cache log from the very first cache. One of the other things I've also started thinking about is carrying my camera along for the ride as well. Some of the cache locations I've been researching look like great places to capture that occasional photo. As a web developer by trade, I've been even considering building a web journal on found caches, though I'll be avoiding giving away spoiler information. icon_wink.gif

Right now, I carry a three-ring zip-close binder so that I can document the find and also keep notes on research for future caches I want to look for. Right now, my notes for future caches far outway my notes for finds. LOL

Anyway, peace and safe caching. icon_smile.gif

Data Lynx

Those are good idea's. I keep all mine in the back of my car, preferably on the floor. In all honestly as I got more and more into geocaching I wished I would have done that, But I didn't. When I first started I thought Geocaching would end up being like many of my other hobbies. You know the ones, the ones that you forget about in a month. Well hindsight is 20/20 and looking back It's still a bit fuzzy!

Don't hunt what you can't kill!

I thought about doing that but when I looked at the 50 or so that I have printed, waiting for my next outing, and then saw the more active cachers with 200 and 300 finds (or more), I wondered where I'd keep all the past prints? Decided to keep a log on my Visor instead.

is moving to West Texas. We don't have any really bad weather here. I have almost 80 hours of trail time in the local state park just hiking. We do not have a lot of caches out here, so I try to limit myself to one cache a month. But we hike a lot. Look at my avatar for a photo of my hiking partner.

As to the book... we do it too. Our first geocache started out as a 3.5 mile hike and ended up being 12 miles, and requiring a pick-up to get us back to the jeep. It and the photos are all in the book, as well as a printed topo map with the cache and our hiking track highlighted.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Putting your cache pages in a binder is far from 'going too far'. It makes a nice easy way to remember what you've done, where you've been, and what you've seen, etc.

Shark (my wife) is a photo taking and scrapbooking fanatic. She has TWO 3" three-ring binders full exclusively of cache hunts and is working on binder #3. She also likes to do it a bit with the benchmarking I do. This is all above and beyond the other family photo albums and scrapbooks she has and continually updates. (There I times I think she has gone too far with it all, but she always reminds me that that's not the case...icon_smile.gif)

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

Now I know I'm on the right track!

Sorry Mr. Warrior, I don't think I'd like to move to Texas. Just think..What would the rain gear manufacturers do if everyone lived in a dry climate? It's plenty pretty enough here, thanx icon_wink.gif

And to Mr Kewaneh, I'm jealous! icon_wink.gif You have the skills! I have a neighbor that is a surveyor and his wife wispers in our next-door neighbors ear about our property line! icon_eek.gif Oh well, all is fair in war and picket fences.

Thank you all for the responses.

OG icon_smile.gif

That's IT!!! We're going to Fist City, and I'm driving!

I use file folders in a canvas briefcase. Each folder represents an area usually by city or town. For big cities like New Orleans I have folders for uptown, downtown, lake front, river front, Audubon(sp) Park, City Park, New Orleans east, and West bank etc.

When I go caching or benchmark hunting I take out the folder for the area I wish to hunt. My bag is pretty full, I better get out and find some caches.

Capn Skully

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Persig

bébé and I have put the caches we visited in a binder since the very first one (I guess, it is like your first kiss, you will not forget it). We have two sections : visited caches and cache to be visited.

It is nice to put a cache page from one section to the other.

And I thought I was a weirdo doing that... icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Og, whatever gives you the most enjoyment is ok with me.

Geocaching is all about getting out discovering things (not only the casches) and buliding memories.

I don't log most of my finds and realy only jave about 10 or 12 to my credit but iin each and every case The journey has been the destination.

As Simon and Grafunkel once said "Preserve your memories, there all that's left you."

quote:
Originally posted by looneyman:

Hey Og, whatever gives you the most enjoyment is ok with me.

Geocaching is all about getting out discovering things (not only the casches) and buliding memories.

I don't log most of my finds and realy only jave about 10 or 12 to my credit but iin each and every case The journey has been the destination.

As Simon and Grafunkel once said "Preserve your memories, there all that's left you."

Please start logging your finds! It only takes a few minutes, and this way the cache owner and other cachers reading the website get to share your enjoyment.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'm glad to read about other "Anal Retentive" people that like to be organized. My "geocaching" backpack is always ready to go. My 3-ring binder has sections for my city, county, state, other, and found logs. I jot down what I've traded when I get back on the trail, to the car etc. so that I remember what to write in my log. I'm either really really really organized or crying in the corner.

Also, I loved hearing that other scrapbookers are doing this! With no children, and my dogs getting tired of the flashes, my cache locales have become my newest "subjects."