What Are The Benefits?

Background:

In preparation to place my first cache, I contacted the Park board for the park where I wanted to place it. They had never heard of geocaching, but are very interested in the idea. They have invited me to the park board meeting to discuss it further.

What I Need:

Information that will help to convince them that geocaching will benefit their parks. (Increased exposure for little known parks, etc..) Reasons why geocachers are responsible park users (cache in trash out, etc...) Anything at all that may help me. Has anyone else put together a package of information like this before?

Thanks,

JDS

Additional recreational opportunities...which is the point of parks, at no cost to them. Additional exposure, which means more advocates for the park system. And CITO of course.

But the real question is not "what are the benefits?" The question is "why not?" Is there a law, or regulation banning geocaching? If no, then why is permission required? I don't ask permission to walk my dog, play frisbee, ride my bike, so why is geocaching any different?

Edited by briansnat

Print out some of the logs from other caches in similiar parks to show the park board.

I once had a discussion with a naturalist in a nearby park when I was in there to find a cache. She was not exactly excited about the idea of a geocache in the park (luckily it wasn't her decision) until I had her go to geocaching.com and look up the cache page. As she read posts saying how great the park is and that a lot of the folks didn't even know it was there she changed her mind. She ended up printing the logs to post them on the employee bulletin board.

RichardMoore

Feel free to use my letter:

Dear ______________

I intend to place a geocache in _________ park. As per applicable rules, I am requesting permission for this placement. Please don’t construe “requesting” to imply that I believe I need your permission. The Frisbee players, kite flyers, picnickers, and jungle-gymers do not request your permission to engage in their respective activities, so it should be obvious where I stand on this issue. I won’t mention that the teenage copulaters, dope smokers, and fudgepackers do not request permission to use the park for their activities either. Insofar as my “request” is concerned, please accept that it is merely a formality and that I will place the geocache regardless of your objections, if any.

It should be noted though, that geocachers are generally a great bunch of folks. We routinely clean up trash in the parks and on the trails as we make our way to and from the cache. Additionally, we dilute the population of undesirables by introducing good, law abiding citizens into the parks, myself notwithstanding.

Please understand that I make this nonsensical request with the best intentions. I would never pick the lock on the storage shed and let the air out of all the basketballs in retribution just because you remove my cache container, but know that I could.

V/R

Criminal (Charter Throbbing Member)

Feel free to use my letter:

Dear ______________

I intend to place a geocache in _________ park. As per applicable rules, I am requesting permission for this placement. Please don’t construe “requesting” to imply that I believe I need your permission. The Frisbee players, kite flyers, picnickers, and jungle-gymers do not request your permission to engage in their respective activities, so it should be obvious where I stand on this issue. I won’t mention that the teenage copulaters, dope smokers, and fudgepackers do not request permission to use the park for their activities either. Insofar as my “request” is concerned, please accept that it is merely a formality and that I will place the geocache regardless of your objections, if any.

It should be noted though, that geocachers are generally a great bunch of folks. We routinely clean up trash in the parks and on the trails as we make our way to and from the cache. Additionally, we dilute the population of undesirables by introducing good, law abiding citizens into the parks, myself notwithstanding.

Please understand that I make this nonsensical request with the best intentions. I would never pick the lock on the storage shed and let the air out of all the basketballs in retribution just because you remove my cache container, but know that I could.

V/R

Criminal (Charter Throbbing Member)

that will really charm them! :lol:

Here's a letter I came up with. I personally prefer Criminal's from a ideaological standpoint, but sometimes you have to leave that outside the door with your muddy boots and play the silly political game.

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______.  If you are

not familiar with the term geocache, it's the focal point of a sport called geocaching.

Geocaching entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a GPSr (Global Positioning System receiver) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting

people outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic

interest. Another benefit of the sport is the geocaching community's commitment

to keeping our parks clean. "Cache in, trash out" is our motto and tons of litter

have been been removed from our parks by geocachers since the sports inception.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a low impact activity and consistent with thier mission to provide recreational opportunities for the public.  They have embraced  the sport as an excellent way to increase public awareness and enjoyment of their lands.

It is my feeling that _____ is one of those special places that would be  of interest to geocachers and I would like to discuss the possibility of my placing a geocache there.  Kindly contact me at ______ so we can  discuss the matter.

I was actually gunna save Criminal's letter, until I noticed that it was Criminal's letter, and so I actually read it and decided downloading it wasn't the best idea. And then I read BrianSnat's letter.

With a few personal touches, that would be great for first contact with a park administrator, just be sure to enclose a geocaching brochure...

Actually, I wouldn't mention any caches already in the park. In my opinion, that just would upset him because they didn't ask, thereby decreasing your chances for authorization.

Yah, but if the director was saavy, he'd eventually find out, and he'd probably be more ticked off that this wasn't mentioned during the meeting...

I mean what good is one completely legally placed cache when there's half a dozen others that the directors weren't asked about that the director will eventually 'find out about...