Trolling For Help Again

lostinjersey

Well the last time I asked for help like this it went like gangbusters so here I am again. I'm looking to compile a list of ruins in public places in NJ, or which are at least accesible by the public. Preferably buildings but anything is cool, as long as it can be accessed or viewed by the public. There doesn't have to be a geocache in the area, but if there is, that;s an A double + bonus.

among my own caches with ruins would be any of the Palisades caches, the Downed Jet obviously, the van slyke castle in ramapo before it got plundered,

among caches I've found...

White City Ruins, Federal Hill, New Years Mystery Cache

Among those I Havent found

Washington Ruins in the Pines, Phantasmagoria, Boone Town Falls,

There might be some ruins at Lebanon Ghostly Trek

Harrisville Gas, Jessie Evans Mansion, Hampton Furnace, Lake Loop, Feature Cache, Abandoned Cache, Western Trail, Historical Lakehurst Train Tour, Stationary Cache

Supposedly some ruins near Penny on the Tracks and Alices Restaurant

Nashs Cabin

Ellis Adams Farm is a whole ghost town...

then there's the abandoned VW bugs from my archived You bug me cache. and of course the old fort in the water down at Cape May Park, and the old Nike Base at Sandy Hook. I've heard there are some ruins on Pyramid Mountain too. Gotta be cool abandoned houses, cars, towns and such elsewhere. I know about Feltsville village in Watchung, too...

oh yea, Weymouth Furnace and Bethlehem Loading Company I know about too. The Trolley graveyard is also great too.

So what else is lying out there?

Edited by Gwho

There are the ruins of two cabins near the top of Turkey Mountain in Kinnelon. One is near a stage of my Turkey Trot cache. There is even a photo of one of the houses when it was occupied in the early 20th century in the nearby visitors center.

There is also an abandoned "castle" on the other side of Kinnelon. I think it was mentioned in an issue of WNJ.

There are the ruins of what I'm told was an old goat farm near Bear Swamp Road in what I guess is Mahwah. This can be accessed via the Yellow/Silver Trail. I posted as a find for your Stone Ruins locationless.

There are a lot more that I can probably come up with if I think a little harder.

Edited by briansnat

How can I forget the Long Pond Ironworks...near my cache of the same name. The remains of the colonial era and Civil War era furnaces are still there, as are a number of other buidlings in various stages of decay and restoration.

Also, my Hasenclever Iron cache takes you through the remains of a mid 1700's village for iron workers. Now you really can't tell unless you know what to look for, because the village has been gone for almost 250 years.

Edited by briansnat
How can I forget the Long Pond Ironworks...near my cache of the same name. The remains of the colonial era and Civil War era furnaces are still there, as are a number of other buidlings in various stages of decay and restoration.

Also, my Hasenclever Iron cache takes you through the remains of a mid 1700's village for iron workers. Now you really can't tell unless you know what to look for, because the village has been gone for almost 250 years.

I thought about the ironworks cache after I made the post here. I've also heard about the goat farm too but wasnt sure where it was. Is there much of anything to see there?

also the kinelon castle is the untermeyer mansion. I was up there once and I found out a self made millionaire bought the property and is rebuilding the castle as close to the original plans as possible. I'm efinately including him in this plan I have.

I thought about the ironworks cache after I made the post here. I've also heard about the goat farm too but wasnt sure where it was. Is there much of anything to see there?

There is quite a bit to see there. The house is pretty intact, as is an outbuilding. See My log for the Stone Ruins locationless.

I was up there once and I found out a self made millionaire bought the property and is rebuilding the castle as close to the original plans as possible. I'm efinately including him in this plan I have.

That explains why a visitor found the area to be cleaned up recently. Weeds were cleared, trash carted off.

Oh, and here is a recent photo taken at the Long Pond Ironworks. The structure on the left side of the photo is what remains of the Colonial era furnace. The structure directly behind the group is what remains of the Civil War era furnace. In the background (far right) is the water wheel in the middle of being restored.

My cache is about a quarter mile from this site.

de4548c5-ff57-4953-85e9-132ac79bfbfe.jpg

Edited by briansnat

To get an A++ let’s start with the da\/|ds0n c^chE. It was hidden by the Cache Ninja.

Pyramid Mountain - Consult their trail map.

1. You will find Stone Ruins labeled at L7 and K6, near the summit of Turkey Mt. The ruins at L7 are more interesting and easier to find. If you are hungry, stop and enjoy some Turkey on Rye, served by BrianSnat.

2. On the same trail map, G2 has the ruins of Morgan Place. Not particularly interesting, but near the Bare Roke, also by BrianSnat.

3. Bear Rock is located at F3. West of this rock are the remains of a mine. Sorry I can not pinpoint the location, but it is there. Bring a magnetic compass with you if you search. It is an old iron mine where iron oxide is in the form of Magnetite. The compass should help you find it. Stop in the park office, they may be able to give you a better pointer.

4. The map also shows a Limestone Quarry at L8. I do not recall anything of interest there, unless you like mosquitoes.

Patriot Path - Get a copy of the map of the Kay Environmental Center. Head south on the Patriot Path (Black River Trail) from Cooper Mill. You will have to bushwhack part of the way, stay parallel and in sight of the river. There are some large ruins on the west side of the river and almost directly west of the Kay Environmental Center. You will be on the east side of the river. I had heard that these ruins were part of the Kay mansion.

Jockey Hollow - Interesting old cemetery on Mt. Kemble. Since this is on a national park, there are no geocaches.

Delaware Water Gap - There is plenty in this area. Suggest you get a set of the NYNJTC Kittatinny Trails maps. Few of them are near any caches.

1. Best area is Millbrook Village, found on Map 16. From here stroll east toward Donkey Corners, or west toward the Watergate. The Orchid trail heading north also has some, as well as leading you to the Hamilton Ridge Road, with more.

2. Further west is the Blue Mountain Lake Area. Looking at the map you will see some old dirt roads. Several structures were started before the Tocks Island dam project was scrapped.

3. At the east side of Map 16 or the west side of Map 15 you will see the Copper Mine Trail. Guess what you will find there.

4. On Map 15, you will find the Northwest Trail. Recently it was blazed green and renamed the Rock Core Trail. The rock cores are about three feet in diameter. They are the results of borings when the Tock Island dam was planned.