Never Thought I'd Hear This

robert

This past Sunday there was an awesome event in Northern Virginia put on by buddy JoeCthulhu. During the event, friends of mine were there caching with their two 6 year old boys. As "boys would be boys", they took the water bottles they were carrying (the only water they had), dumped the water out, and filled the bottles with sticks, leaves, and dirt.

At one point during the hike, maybe a mile from the pavilion and parking lot, one of my friends became pretty ill with severe stomach pains. There she was on the ground, sprawled out on her back. My other friend, not knowing what was wrong, but knowing a drink of water could help, realized the boys had dumped it out. He asked TWO other caching groups if they had any water... one ignored him, the other turned and went the other direction.

WTF?! :lol:

I've been a very active member in the Maryland group. What drew me to this was the friendliness of cachers. Did he encounter two sets of "not in the norm" cachers, or what? If someone had approached me frantically like that, I would give them what I had, not turn the other cheek. :lol:

Any thoughts?

That's what I thought.

They're pretty new cachers, though he started when I did, just hasn't been as aggressive with it as me. :lol: Considering I convinced them to make the drive down to the event, and that I represent the Maryland group, it was embarrassing to hear the story. :lol:

Luckily they've been to some other events and know this was probably just a fluke.

I wish I knew who it was they spoke to. :lol:

I would have gave up water or any other necessitity I had for this cacher without even thinking about it.

I think what these people did is kinda like what people do when the come upon an accident. They don't want to get involved due to the fact they we live a sue happy society and didn't want to risk having a lawsuit. IMHO. I do however feel what they did is wrong and hope that they never find themselves in that situation!

So much for southern hospitality :lol:. Actually, is it possible they didn't realize you were geocachers and thought you might be weirdos and up to no good?

Yeah, I was going to say BrianSnat was the only rude cacher I've encountered, and that was just from the boards. :lol:

Southern? Here in Texas, most people think of that region as being North.....

But all kidding aside, I hope Brian is right and these people thought the guy was running some scam (which I tend to think unless proven otherwise due to my cautious nature).

I would have gave up water or any other necessitity I had for this cacher without even thinking about it.

I think what these people did is kinda like what people do when the come upon an accident. They don't want to get involved due to the fact they we live a sue happy society and didn't want to risk having a lawsuit. IMHO. I do however feel what they did is wrong and hope that they never find themselves in that situation!

IIRC, Good Samaritan laws (wonder if that is in all states) protect you from things like performing CPR and getting sued....which is a little scary when you consider some people's judgement..... :lol:

Yeesh! That's pretty incredible :lol: Out on the "left" coast, I'd say that kind of behavior is pretty unusual, even from muggles. I can't really speak on the issue of cacher behavior. I've only met one geocacher: This good looking guy. :lol: But out on the trail, I would think that normal etiquette dictates that everybody helps each other out.

Maybe those doofs were from inside the beltway. That would explain alot :lol: (just kidding, just kidding)

I'm suspecting there's part of the story that we don't know.

I suspect the kids were unsupervised long enough to empty the water bottles and fill them with dirt/etc. I wonder what else those kids might have done at that time period. Could it be that the other groups were already mad at your group of cachers for some reason?

It's my experience that people usually have a reason to act rude to someone else, and that makes me think there's part of the story (their side) that isn't being told here.

I suspect the kids were unsupervised long enough to empty the water bottles and fill them with dirt/etc. I wonder what else those kids might have done at that time period. Could it be that the other groups were already mad at your group of cachers for some reason?

It's my experience that people usually have a reason to act rude to someone else, and that makes me think there's part of the story (their side) that isn't being told here.

That may be true, but it SHOULDN'T have anything to do with a person with a possible medical emergency

I'm with Bons here, I think that we may not be hearing both sides of the story and there was some sort of miscommunication along the way. Perhaps they saw the boys dumping out the water and had the attitude of "serves you right." If this was the case, I still think what they did is unacceptable and truly appalling behavior.

Every cacher that I've run across has always been extra friendly and will bend over backwards to help you out if there's a problem.

Hmmm... Let me get this straight. Let's say a person with a couple of bratty kids falls over on the trail with abdominal pain, are you saying I should just pass them by and let the wolves clean up the area? This is an interesting argument I haven't considered :lol:

So much for southern hospitality :lol:. Actually, is it possible they didn't realize you were geocachers and thought you might be weirdos and up to no good?

Does that make a difference, from an ethical standpoint? I'm new at geocaching, and so far am yet to ecnounter another geocacher in the flesh. But in many years of hiking and backpacking, I've shared my water with fellow hikers, hunters, trail riders, and mountain bikers who had run out or had damaged water containers. And I won't even get into the host of uncategorized people who probably shouldn't have been in the woods unprepared to begin with ... all with a friendly smile and no lecture.

What's the world coming to? O tempora! O mores!

Touchstone, I don't think that is what he was saying. If a group had a couple of bratty kids that had already irritated others, you may be more likely to try very hard to ignore that group, not realizing that there was a medical emergency.

That being said, I agree with Halden. In all areas of life, there are jerks. We have our share.

Edited by sbell111

As a local CERT member I would have had to access the situation and act accordingly.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED,

I always have my water that no one gets to in my CERT pack along with a First Aide Kit,Water purifacation tabs,emergency tools,back up,GPS,batteries,flash light,

glow sticks,flagging tape,and numerous other things.

It would be good for one Person in your team to keep the Back up kit

(Keep your back).

Even if it was a (play)or it was real.

You need to help,if and when possible.

It is one reason I am a CERT, to aide, we are also learning Terroism,and their tactics.

There are several kinds of things we are taught to look out for,but are not likely to find in most Americans.

If they were just passed by for no reason I find this disturbing,but like stated there is alway 4 sides to a story,

1. Person('s) in need.

2. Person('s) at the scene.

3.Yours.

4.Mine.

So much for southern hospitality :o. Actually, is it possible they didn't realize you were geocachers and thought you might be weirdos and up to no good?

Well they had GPS's in their hands and this park was PACKED with cachers that day. :D

Is she ok now and do you know what the problem was?

Turns out it was severe stomach cramps... so severe she couldn't stand. The main concern was complications from a routing surgery that the doctor flubbed up last year. She's been having complications since, but none in the last few months. She's healed quite a bit since then and was up for a nice stroll around the paths.

Thanks for asking. :o

There are people out there like that. Sad, very sad. But as most have noted...they are in the minority. Yet, no lack of them.

I once came across a woman with her two small children on a very hot trail in Yosemite Natl. Park. She hadn't thought to take water. She spoke very broken English and as I came onto the scene 3 backpackers, (I'm a backpacker as well as a geocacher and take pride in both), were berating this woman for being a fool. Paraphrasing..."If you're so d*** stupid you and your kids deserve to be thirsty". Her kids looked to be 5 - 7 yrs old.

Well, she had certainly made a mistake but people like those backpackers do not set well with me.

P.S. I gave her and her kids plenty of water and helped them back down to safety. - JamesJM

Hmmm... Let me get this straight. Let's say a person with a couple of bratty kids falls over on the trail with abdominal pain, are you saying I should just pass them by and let the wolves clean up the area? This is an interesting argument I haven't considered :o

I am not saying what you should do at all. You make your own choices. But if I found out that those groups also had their water emptied by the kids and replaced with dirt, I'd be a lot more forgiving of their actions. I wouldn't be proud of them or anything, but I refuse to condemn someone unless I get to hear their side of the story as well.

All of the cachers I have ever met have been gracious and generous when I've been in need . . .

RJ Ferret gave me an apple when I was starving . . .

. . . and Planet brings her whole kitchen when she goes caching just in case someone would like a filet mignon or roasted goose or whatever.

I think this is behavior definately out of the norm. Just let it go.

Happy caching and stuff! :o