What Are We Doing?

Please notice the following logs: :lol:

GCH9HP - Cara's College Cache (most difficult to find?):

"I as well had a problem with this one.

I'm marking it as found not because i found the cache you left, but because this was the last cache i was going to visit while in country and i had 2 travelbugs i needed to drop off, therefor i have created a cache box of sorts in the most expected spot. Mind you i am not, and cannot take charge of this cache. I'm only creating a temporary spot for the bugs i'm leaving behind. "

TB9954 - Mr Forgetful (Travel Bug):

"Mr Forgetful was finally transported to Amsterdam today. Unfortunately, the cache was so small that the tag had to be separated from Mr Forgetful in order to continue on it's travels."

Fortunately the next geocacher logged:

"Mr Forgetful is the first travel bug we found. Unfortunately we only found the tag because the geocacher who placed this travel bug in Amsterdam Urban 1 had to seperate the soft beanie toy from the tag, because the microcache was to small to hold Mr Forgetful. We took the tag to find a new traveller to acompany it during its travels."

What must we do with these fellow geocachers?

Please notice the following logs:  :lol:

I'm marking it as found not because i found the cache you left, but because this was the last cache i was going to visit while in country and i had 2 travelbugs i needed to drop off, therefor i have created a cache box of sorts in the most expected spot. Mind you i am not, and cannot take charge of this cache. I'm only creating a temporary spot for the bugs i'm leaving behind. "

The biggest problem with Cara's College Cache is that the cache owner, texasexile, placed this cache while visiting London. The owner appears from his logs that he may be from Pennsylvania and is unable to maintain the cache. There have been numerous no-finds and notes posted to the cache page. It appears from a note from the owner that the cache may have been moved from its original location. This cache needs to be taken over by a local so it can be checked on and maintained.

As for bdh224s' "FOUND" entry, it needs to be deleted by the cache owner after the travel bugs are hopefully located. Also "bdh224s'" new cache container that he/she placed needs to be removed.

The individual who left those travel bugs had no right jeopardizing them by just leaving them in their own makeshift cache in hopes that a cacher will find them. If I owned one of those travel bugs, I would be furious with "bdh224s." :lol:

Rand (RandMan)

Please notice the following log:  :lol:

TB9954 - Mr Forgetful (Travel Bug):

"Mr Forgetful was finally transported to Amsterdam today. Unfortunately, the cache was so small that the tag had to be separated from Mr Forgetful in order to continue on it's travels."

Fortunately the next geocacher logged:

"Mr Forgetful is the first travel bug we found. Unfortunately we only found the tag because the geocacher who placed this travel bug in Amsterdam Urban 1 had to seperate the soft beanie toy from the tag, because the microcache was to small to hold Mr Forgetful. We took the tag to find a new traveller to acompany it during its travels."

What must we do with these fellow geocachers?

I noticed that the cache (Amsterdam Urban 1) where the family left the travel bug tag isn't listed as a micro. Regardless, Wendover Controller and his children had no business removing the "beanie toy", Mr Forgetful, from the tag. This parent is teaching his young children that it's okay to steal. In my opinion - they are thieves.

It appears though that the tag was recovered by Cooper & Baxter. They were kind enough to add a stuffed toy to the tag. The TB is back on course.

Rand (RandMan)

(Picture link to the children removed at request of their parents by moderator)

Edited by mtn-man

I just sent an EXTREMELY polite, gentle email to the cacher advising him to "reconsider the wisdom of that action"... that "we all have to learn sometime... but if he ever finds one of my TBs, PLEASE don't separate out the tag.

It remains to be seen if he replies with an equal decent attempt at classiness or as a complete @#$%! turkey.

I ask because I see the one is a vacation cache.  I understand that its an issue of Travel Bugs though.

Oh yeah and just a reminder:  Cindy is not for micro caches either. :lol:

Why not?? Can't we grind her up and put her in a little ziplock baggie with the TB tag... :lol::lol:

As for what to do with these people...

All you can do is shake your head and try to educate them... Honestly I don't know what the heck they were thinking at the time...

Edited by Doc-Dean
Honestly I don't know what the heck they were thinking at the time...

Its possible they weren't

I think its a good idea to put a tag along with your TB that states how TBs work and to not take it if you can't help it along. I would like to think that someone who doesn't know any better because they are new to TBs or the sport in general would take the time to read the note and do the right thing.

Well I think it is a shame that the 'self righteous' are quite so quick to pronounce on a family who were simply trying to do the 'right thing' and perpetuate the hobby. We had originally intended to take Mr. Forgetful to Boston some months ago but unfortunately illness in the family prevented us from travelling. We specifically planned our trip to Amsterdam (a day trip of some 800 miles) to give the TB a reasonable if somewhat delayed move. As you can see from my original log;

"Took some finding! Not very experienced at this game but surprised to find such a small container! Used to large Tupperware containers in the UK. Flew out to Amsterdam for the day and finding the location involved some detailed planning. Great fun...........

We had no idea that this was going to be a Micro Cache although it is now recorded as such; it was not when we planned the trip. Having spent seven hours getting there and another hour looking for a reasonably sized cache which turned out to be a photo canister with two increasingly disillusioned children in sub-zero conditions, I made the decision to deposit the TB without the soft toy. Had we been aware of any etiquette surrounding the separation of a toy from the TB then we certainly would not have done it. As for "teaching his young children that it's okay to steal" and posting links to photographs of myself and my children in some form of perverted 'name and shame' vendetta, well I am simply appalled the behaviour of RandMan.

I had contacted the TB owner within a few hours of our return from Amsterdam explaining the circumstances and arranging to return the toy to him in the sincere belief that the toy and TB will be reunited at some point in the future.

In summary, nothing malicious was intended by our actions but I am hurt and slightly alarmed by the actions of some of my supposedly far more experienced and responsible colleagues in this hobby. To this end, I have attempted to remove any personal identifying links or photographs of me or my family and we have resolved to use the GPS to help us navigate our way around on family holidays rather than searching for Geocaches.

To this end, I have attempted to remove any personal identifying links or photographs of me or my family and we have resolved to use the GPS to help us navigate our way around on family holidays rather than searching for Geocaches.

Awfully thin skinned, aren't we.

To this end, I have attempted to remove any personal identifying links or photographs of me or my family and we have resolved to use the GPS to help us navigate our way around on family holidays rather than searching for Geocaches.

Now Wendy, take it easy. Your 'action' is what was critized, not you personally or your family. It appears that you go to great lengths (distances really) to participate in this hobby. Forget what was said here, learn from the experience and have fun. :lol:

I had contacted the TB owner within a few hours of our return from Amsterdam explaining the circumstances and arranging to return the toy to him in the sincere belief that the toy and TB will be reunited at some point in the future.

If you had the forethought to return just the toy, why on earth didn't you simply keep the entire TB in one piece, return home with it, then email the owner and ask what they would have you do with it? I'm sure the majority of TB owners would have understood that you were unable to place the TB and would have preferred that you not destroy it in such a manner.....that has nothing to do with etiquette, it is just common sense, which appears to be something you're obviously lacking.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Come on people. It was wendover controller's first tb find and they definitely had good intentions. I personally haven't moved any tb's around as I've not found one in my limited amount of caching trips. Instead of being negative think positive. The original tb beanie thingy could be attached to a new tb with a goal of meeting up with it's replacement. A more interesting goal than "I just want to travel". There are a couple of star trek related tb's with similar goals.

Come on people. It was wendover controller's first tb find and they definitely had good intentions. I personally haven't moved any tb's around as I've not found one in my limited amount of caching trips. Instead of being negative think positive. The original tb beanie thingy could be attached to a new tb with a goal of meeting up with it's replacement. A more interesting goal than "I just want to travel". There are a couple of star trek related tb's with similar goals.

So then it's ok to change not only the item attached to the tag, but to also change the owner's intent and purpose for his TB?

Well I think it is a shame that the 'self righteous' are quite so quick to pronounce on a family who were simply trying to do the 'right thing' and perpetuate the hobby....

.... I made the decision to deposit the TB without the soft toy.  Had we been aware of any etiquette surrounding the separation of a toy from the TB then we certainly would not have done it.  As for "teaching his young children that it's okay to steal" and posting links to photographs of myself and my children in some form of perverted 'name and shame' vendetta, well I am simply appalled the behaviour of RandMan....

....In summary, nothing malicious was intended by our actions but I am hurt and slightly alarmed by the actions of some of my supposedly far more experienced and responsible colleagues in this hobby.  To this end, I have attempted to remove any personal identifying links or photographs of me or my family and we have resolved to use the GPS to help us navigate our way around on family holidays rather than searching for Geocaches.

Hmmmm ... was I too harsh in my criticism of "Wendover Controller" and his children? Was I wrong in adding the links to the profile of him, and the photos of his children?

I may have been a bit too harsh in stating, "This parent is teaching his young children that it's okay to steal," and referring to them as "thieves." Sometimes I express my feelings out of anger! - and that is what I felt when I read what was done to the travel bug. I suppose I was thinking how the owner of the travel bug may have felt. Too often, travel bugs just seem to disappear out of caches and never turn up again. Stolen? Taken by thieves who think how nice the item may be to give to their children - or to place on their shelf as a collectible? Or taken by someone not understanding what they have taken - and decides not to continue geocaching.

"Wendover Controller" seems to understand that what he did was wrong. We have all made mistakes in learning proper etiquette when it comes to geocaching. I have found that most geocachers are good people and are forgiving.

To this, I apologize to "Wendover Controller" and his children and hope that you reconsider about dropping out of geocaching.

RandMan

Having heard the full story, I'd suggest to Shamrock S that the best way to help keep Wendover playing the game (as he was happily doing before this...albeit with 1 misguided action) would be to close the thread and remove the chance for the "dogpile" effect of posts that will come as each new person stumbles onto the first few comments before reading the rest and gives their 2 cents on how disgusted they are...

You can close the thread by scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting it in the "Moderation Options" menu on the left.

EDIT: Mistook who wrote the original post...redirected my comments to Shamrock..

Edited by ju66l3r
If it had been me, I would have just logged the travel bug into and then back out of the micro. That would show that it did travel to that cache. Then I could drop it into another cache the next chance I had.

I would agree on closing this thread also. It's too bad that it all ended up this way, but Punpkin Nuts is right. That would have been the most logical thing to do. Now that you know this, the next time it happens (because hopefully you arent really leaving geocaching) you will know what to do.

Another off topic thing. I love these forums. There is so much information and friendly people. I am definitely impressed by the people who are avid cachers, and who NEVER step a foot into these forums. It seems that their opinions of geocaching may be a little "nicer" overall., because they are never exposed to the rare instances of "ugliness" that raises it's head here. Not that this is one of them though...

Please notice the following logs: :o

I've posted a note on the UK forums, about these two TB's hopefully they will be rescued before they go missing.

Dave.

origianlly briansnat:

The road to Newark is paved with good intentions.

ha! that's funny, brian.

everybody blames it on newark, but really it's beckley, WV.

edit: wrong quote. duh.

Edited by flask

Once again . . . I suggest to start a thread called "Abject Idiocy" and pose the question . . . WHAT IN THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING ABOUT??. Uhm, hellooooooooooo??? Is anyone in there??

Whatever . . . :o

I'd be a little more than irritated if someone "abused" my travel bug(s) like that.

Happy caching and stuff!