Gps Units

i have a garmin gpsmap 60cs on order. i know the delays that have been

talked about here. question: can someone give me a quick comparison

between the magellan meridian color and the 60cs or the 76cs? should

i wait on the garmin? is one brand or model better than the other? help is

greatly appreciated.

Here we go... :rolleyes:

Others will chime in who are more of an "expert" than me and hopefully some who own both units.

Having said that, it doesn't matter what a reviewer says, what a spec says. You NEED to find a store that handles both Maggies and Garmin and see for yourself whether you like the look, feel, menus, maps, screens, etc. of each mfr.

For me the choice was Garmin. Others did the exact same thing and it was Maggie. Your tastes, your values, your 2¢

it doesn't matter what a reviewer says, what a spec says. You NEED to find a store that handles both Maggies and Garmin and see for yourself whether you like the look, feel, menus, maps, screens, etc. of each mfr.

That's exactly it. Most GPS units work the same. You have to decide which features and aesthetics you want and find which model and brand fits your needs.

Sorry if I seem ignorant. I'm new to GPSr ownership.

I've been browsing these forums trying to figure out the big difference between these two makes. People seem to say it's a matter of personal tastes. This was completely useless to me.

The reason why I got a Magellan Color with maps is because it's much cheaper than the alternatives with the same features.

So it seems that in the category of handhelds, Magellan wins since no one can state another reason (reception, display, accuracy, etc.) why Garmin is better.

Bao?

jd,

Like I said - I'm new to GPS ownership, so can't give you a head to head comparison.

I got the Magellan Meridian Color Traveler's Value pack for $393 total, and added 256MB SD flash memory and an SD card reader for an additional$92, for a grand total of around $485.

Likes so far:

1 The maps are pretty accurate, and include my friend's house on a street that's a few months old. I've had some errors in exact addresses (a couple of blocks off from the real address).

2 The routing feature is great, though I've not yet used it for any route I don't already know. It's great to find exact distances from where you are to where you want to go on a street by street route.

3 The accuracy is great. If I set a waypoint, I can come back to the same spot using GPS alone.

4 User interface is a lot easier to pick up than I expected.

5 Expandable memory - up to 512MB. I can store unlimited waypoints.

6 Package came with cigarette lighter adapter, maps, windshield mount, 64MB memory, batteries.

Dislikes and iffys:

1 Don't like the serial cable. Should be USB.

2 Mapping software only works on one receiver. So if I lose my receiver, my maps are worthless.

3 Not sure about the durability yet. The screen seems to flicker in certain lighting situations.

4 I don't know about battery usage yet. The claim of 6 hours on constant backlight seems too low.

I checked out the specs and prices for the Garmin 60c in comparison with what I have. It seems like you're gonna be paying a couple hundred dollars extra, and your memory isn't expandable.

I'm considering buying it in a few months in order to do a comparison, just so I can definitely say which one is better, or if they are both the same with different look. I can always give the one I like less to my brother.

Also, the unit doesn't have an "electronic" compass, so you have to move to find which way is north. The screen seems pretty good for outdoor use, but is not like what you would get from your laptop or anything. I'd like to see what the 60c screen looks like when it comes out. The reception is great in my car while it's sitting on the passenger seat.

Sorry I don't have more yet.

Bao?

Dislikes and iffys:

1 Don't like the serial cable. Should be USB.

The Meridian line has had USB map loading from the very beginning. I'm surprised that you are not taking advantage of a USB card reader.

This is the best form of USB connectivity. The Garmin 60's are forcing all alternative mapping and GPS waypoint management programs to reprogram or write patches to connect via USB. Where as the Meridians still use serial for these connections.

2 Mapping software only works on one receiver. So if I lose my receiver, my maps are worthless.

I read that you could make maps for two units.

I have used both old garmins and new garmins and tried a few magellans out. I am definitely on the Garmin side. Garmins have a much easier and user friendly interface then magellans. The prices are about the same ranges. Most Garmin software does not require unlock codes, and you can load maps to a million different gps's if you want, not just one. Garmin customer service is excellent, I have sent them an email and they get back within 3 days. They have updates even for old and new models, and continue to update the updates. Not because the prior updates where bad, they usually just add more features. I have heard from various people who have tried both brands and most have emphasized how much easier garmins are to use and operate. I have found most garmins are extremely ergonomic and buttons are all placed well.

But nonetheless some people do like magellans, maybe those that enjoy taking hours to just learn how to operate it or those that don't like ease of use and like "the harder way".

Disclaimer: These are my views and experiences if you have a problem with them feel free to list your own feelings, views, and experiences BUT DON'T CRITICIZE MINE Thank you, and please come again! :lol:

The reason why I got a Magellan Color with maps is because it's much cheaper than the alternatives with the same features.

This is definitely true. I bought the Meridian Gold Traveler pack and it came out to 250 total. For the money, it's TONS over anything Garmin offers at the same price.

This one isnt true at all. With Topo and Direct Route specifically, you can put maps on an UNLIMITED number of receiveers (althought it is LEGALLY not allowed in the contract).

There are NO unlock codes at all. You shouldnt do this because of legal reasons, but you can burn the software, install it on other computers, GPS's etc.

But nonetheless some people do like magellans, maybe those that enjoy taking hours to just learn how to operate it or those that don't like ease of use and like "the harder way".

I love Magellan's a lot. Let's be serious. There is no "HOURS" to learn how to operate the units. Once you understand how they work (which usually comes after you have read the manual) they are very easy to use. The menu's make perfect sense. I have used an eTrex Vista for a period of time, and overall, it wasn't a whole lot easier to use. You should just read the manual, whatever GPS you have.

The Garmin 60's are forcing all alternative mapping and GPS waypoint management programs to reprogram or write patches to connect via USB.

This is patently not true. The 60C has, in addition to the USB port, a serial port that is identical to the serial port on a III+ or a V. It is quite easy to continue to use the same software to up/download data via the serial port.

The Garmin 60's are forcing all alternative mapping and GPS waypoint management programs to reprogram or write patches to connect via USB.

This is patently not true. The 60C has, in addition to the USB port, a serial port that is identical to the serial port on a III+ or a V. It is quite easy to continue to use the same software to up/download data via the serial port.

If I were to get a 60cs could I hook it up to my tungsten E palm that has a USB port? I can't do it with my V because it's not USB. I think it would come in handy for me if I could.

Plust they'd both have to implement the "usb on the go" specification to allow device-device communications. USB (before OTG) is a classic tiered star topogy with a single master, the root up controller (that's the part in your computer). OTG devices are still pretty rare.

(USB was my day job for a long time...)