Mi News Segment Ends W/ Message For Cachers...

And thanks Trippy for the humorous way MiGO is using the comment on T-Shirts sold on the MiGO website.

Get a life - go geocaching      :)

Go MiGO

www.mi-geocaching.org

Yep, I think I will buy one of those shirts when they come in.

Well, I'd like to take a moment before this thread gets locked again for all the infighting and say "Congrats" to Trippy and the folks at MiGo for this also!! Too cool!!!! :)

This thread is gonna get locked again. Congrats Sparky for being the last norm in this thread (in all probability).

Did anyone ever get a real reply back from any of the addresses, other than the automatic one? Its nice that we can make fun of this on those shirts now, although I still think it was very wrong for him to say that.

It's truly amazing how hyper-sensitive and needy you people are.  Why on earth does everyone have to endorse and understand all the activities that you are interested in?  Jeez, grow a thicker skin.  Enjoy life with a modicum of irony.

Great. Another person who doesn't know the meaning of irony. Irony isn't taking a publicly delivered insult with humor. Irony is renaming National Airport after the President who fired the air traffic controllers.

Weren't they striking illegally. :) Reagan was the best President in recent history.

Edited by SamLowrey

Heh, I'll be ordering my shirts as I think they are very cool and don't necessarily have to relate to what happened here in MI.

I think Frank and Glen will be receiving a shirt or two also. :)

If you haven't seen them yet you can find them HERE

Trippy, since you haven't heard back from the EP, do you plan on continuing to follow up with them?

Yes, I do plan on continuing my follow up. At least for a while. While the sting has gone out of the words for me, I still believe that Frank owes an apology for the remark. From what I've learned he has a long history of making remarks like that on the air.

It's probably all in vain, but I think he's been let off the hook for similar comments too easily in the past. I'm going to continue to follow up for a while longer to see if I can speak with him about this. I was busy at work today so I didn't get to follow up but I will tomorrow. Maybe I can arrange to deliver the shirt in person somehow. Not maliciously, but seriously show up and let him know how I feel about his comments.

It may not make any difference in the way he acts, but hearing this kind of feedback from the public is the only way I think he'll change. Otherwise he'll continue to believe he has an open license to sit up there and pass judgement and belittle the people he's reporting for.

(as for letting this sink off to the nether world... I hope you don't think I'm sitting around bumping it back up :D If it falls off, it falls off. I'll post if I have anything interesting to report or someone asks me something, but I'm not going to make an effort to keep any topic alive just for the heck of it :D)

Edited by trippy1976
Any odds of ordering those shirts in another color (e.g. black print on white)? I want one, but I never wear black T-shirts!  :o

What's wrong with Black? :D

Its bad memories of my high school days when all I wore were black t-shirts! That and the fact that I wear t-shirts in summer when it is really hot here and black is about the worst color to wear out in the sun!

P.S. No Sparky, I don't have dandruff, but I do tend to have white cat hair on my clothes at times. Of course the grey cat hair or black dog hair is what gets on my light color clothes :D

We'll ship them anywhere in the world, but currently have to do the orders and payments for orders outside of the U.S. individually due to shipping fees. If anyone is looking for international orders, email me.

I did call the EPs again today but again - only got voicemail. I'm going to continue calling until Friday and give up with the phone calls. I was hoping to be able to address this directly with the EPs and Frank, rather than go straight to the top.

After Friday I'm going to take Wulfster's advice and send snail mail complaints from myself and on behalf of MiGO to the addresses Wulfster posted and to those people identified. I'm also going to dig up the station manager's address.

I'm not as hot about this as I was to begin with, but the more I think about it the more I think that just because I'm not hot about the comments - he shouldn't get a free pass. I still believe that his managers and he should know that what he did was not right and that at least I and MiGO hold Frank accountable for the comment and the station accountable for not addressing it appropriately. Beyond that, if I never hear from them about it - fine.

I'd like to talk about it on a person to person basis with Frank and/or his EPs, but if they are not willing I'll document the experience and send the letter off and CC Frank with the letter and a shirt and be done with it and see if anyone at that level cares. If not, no biggie.

After Friday I'm going to take Wulfster's advice and send snail mail complaints from myself and on behalf of MiGO to the addresses Wulfster posted and to those people identified. I'm also going to dig up the station manager's address.

1. Send me the URL abou the shirts if you could.

2. Call the station and ask for their FCC license information. When you start writing your letters, you need to cc the FCC with the license info. This will be reviewed at the time of their license renewal, and you will have their attention (Oh yes, you WILL have their attention).

Got a call back from Colleen Clement. EP for the UPN 50 10:00 news (the news this segment actually aired on) and also the person who initially contacted me to set up the segment.

She was unendingly apologetic. She had the night off that particular night and was watching the news. Franks comments made her feel, in her words, "like being punched in the stomach".

She indicated that the issue is not dead on their end and that they are still persuing it. If I haven't heard anything by Friday she and I will talk again on Monday. She agreed that at the very least Frank owes me a phone call explanation and I indicated that I would also like to have an apology in writing that I could share with the community.

So... that's the scoop for today. The shirts are available in the store via www.mi-geocaching.org

So... that's the scoop for today. The shirts are available in the store via www.mi-geocaching.org

We have sent an email each (awhile ago when this happened), considering sending a fax also. In regards to the T-shirts, do you ship to Canada? I cannot find that info for certain.

We'll ship them anywhere in the world, but currently have to do the orders and payments for orders outside of the U.S. individually due to shipping fees. If anyone is looking for international orders, email me.

Here is the official word on shipping to Canada!!

We'll ship them anywhere in the world, but currently have to do the orders and payments for orders outside of the U.S. individually due to shipping fees.  If anyone is looking for international orders, email me.

Here is the official word on shipping to Canada!!

Oops, all I had to is scroll up, Thanks!!

Better stop this talk of t-shirts in this thread, it'll get locked down and then we'll never get to hear the conclusion about whether or not that knucklehead newscaster has to publicly apologize.

?? The T-shirts are related to Geocaching and also resulted from the topic of this thread. Hope to hear some news about the situation soon.

There is no doubt in my mind that the producer and even the reporter are monitoring this thread, there is also no doubt in my mind that they don't give a rip because if they did they would have already acknowledged their mistake.

It is too bad he did not say "and" instead of "or" making the quote "...and get a life" but things said are things said.

I do applaud MiGO for their way of turning the negative into a positive by selling the T-shirts.... good for you.

I'll be watching.

I was just fooling around. Believe me, I'm not a member of the topic Polizei.

I guess I am one of the members - that shirt is geocaching for sure.

Great shirt design MiGO! I'm curious. Are you going to send one to the station!? ;) Maybe if several of us send you a buck you could send one or two to a couple of people there. The EP would appreciated the gesture I bet, and I could think of one other person who might never wear it but might get a hint.

I see you have a paypal link...

Just thinking out loud.

I bet dollars to donuts that that guy likes to golf. I run into a lot of golfers who badmouth cachers.

I'm not sure what makes walking around a manacured field of grass chasing a ball and wacking it with very expensive clubs wearing very expensive plaid pants and golf spikes better than walking around a field, wooded area, mountanside, park, or rest area looking for an ammo can or film canister.

It's very strange to me that anyone would sneer at what others do with their leisure time. Don't like it? Don't do it. Do what you want to do with your time off, I'll do what I want to do with my time off.

Ok, I'm now insulted twice in one day. B) Two of my hobbies are golf and geocaching, if you think about it they have many elements in common; long walk, searching for the impossible to find, outdoors, funny looking gear . . .

I guess I have no life at all. ;) At least it keeps me happy. :P

You wouldn't happen to be a retired member of the media would you?

Just going for an insult three-fer here.

Edited by MaxEntropy

I don't mean to be devil's advocate here, but how many of you would welcome an email from someone which tells you how they think you should do your job?

Heck, I am a teacher...EVERYONE tells me how to do my job. :rolleyes:

Heck, I was a paramedic for 10 years, and the only ones that didn't tell me how to do my job were the dead ones..... :blink:

Got a call back from Colleen Clement. EP for the UPN 50 10:00 news (the news this segment actually aired on) and also the person who initially contacted me to set up the segment.

She was unendingly apologetic. She had the night off that particular night and was watching the news. Franks comments made her feel, in her words, "like being punched in the stomach".

She indicated that the issue is not dead on their end and that they are still persuing it. If I haven't heard anything by Friday she and I will talk again on Monday. She agreed that at the very least Frank owes me a phone call explanation and I indicated that I would also like to have an apology in writing that I could share with the community.

Give her a T-Shirt and suggest she wear it to her next meeting with what's-his-name.

Emailed the same missive to all three addresses.

Look forward to seeing the apology!

Mr Turner

I am a geocacher, based in South Africa, and I agree with my fellow cachers that your remark was totally uncalled for and really out of line. I do not think that personal comments such as the one you made should be aired.

I look forward to hearing that a public apology was made.

You have no idea what a far-reaching sport this is, with committed players from all walks of life, spread far and wide across the globe, who take a responsible and dedicated approach to their sport. Not only do they hunt for hidden caches, but clean up the environment of other inconsiderate peoples' trash, help any fellow cacher when needed, treat the sport as a privilege and use geocaching to show others places of interest, beauty and historical significance in a way that few other sports communities do.

Brian Connell

"Azaruk"

South African Geocacher

I just got this email back. It's kind of creepy.

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting us. Our ministry is dependent upon your

prayers and support. We are anxious to be a blessing to you through any

avenue the Lord has made available to us.

At this time He has not given us the capability to personally respond

to every message, but we want you to know that your message has been

received, is being read and is very important to us.

If we can respond to your message, we will as soon as possible. Please

pray that the Lord will bless our ministry to be able to meet the

individual needs of all those He sends to us. Until then the best way for us

to make personal contact is at one of our meetings or engagements.

Please check our  schedule for an engagement near you and come worship with

us.

In the meantime our prayer is that the Lord will richly bless you!

In Christ,

Frank & Nicky Turner

Frank Turner Communications

www.frankturner.org

I like this part :)

At this time He has not given us the capability to personally respond

to every message

It seems HE does not work miracles in the e-mail department... :D

now THAT"S funny!! :(:):D

Are the T-shirts still available? I placed an order, received an email about my postal code, confirmed my address and never heard anything back to any of my follow up emails. :(

PMing about the shirt order. They are still available though.

The first anniversary is coming up in March. Still think I'll try to swing a "Get A Life Day" celebration meet and greet thing locally.

The clip is in the news piece on the MiGO site:

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...rder=0&thold=-1

Should still be up, but the link may be dead. We never got any kind of response about this and although I continued to call for a while, they continued to blow me off. It's still infamous here and every now and then someone will show up with a t-shirt at an event with a home-made iron on of the newscaster with a no smoking type circle over it. We have more fun with it these days than angry feelings about it. :)

Are the T-shirts still available? I placed an order, received an email about my postal code, confirmed my address and never heard anything back to any of my follow up emails. :(

PMing about the shirt order. They are still available though.

The first anniversary is coming up in March. Still think I'll try to swing a "Get A Life Day" celebration meet and greet thing locally.

The clip is in the news piece on the MiGO site:

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...rder=0&thold=-1

Should still be up, but the link may be dead. We never got any kind of response about this and although I continued to call for a while, they continued to blow me off. It's still infamous here and every now and then someone will show up with a t-shirt at an event with a home-made iron on of the newscaster with a no smoking type circle over it. We have more fun with it these days than angry feelings about it. :)

Thanks for the info, unfortunately the & in our username does not allow a PM, email works though :D