Mi News Segment Ends W/ Message For Cachers...

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but tonight a news channel here in Detroit aired a segment I worked with them on about Geocaching. The segment was great and the reporter was awesome.

Right at the end, the Anchor decided to take an editorial moment and finished an otherwise perfect segment with "...You can get a GPS for around $75... or you can get a life..."

I felt insulted personally. As I was part of the video and was represented as "the geocacher" the comment hit incredibly close to home. I took a half-day off to work with them on the segment, and felt it was a shot at cachers in general. It was uncalled for.

If you're interested in sending an email in support of an apology from Mr. Turner (the anchor) to myself, Michigan Geocaching (I was represented as being a member in the segment), and cachers in general I'd appreciate your support. Full details and his email addresses can be found at this link:

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/modules.php?n...rder=0&thold=-1

Dear Mr Turner-

I heard about the coverage UPN 50 gave to the sport of geocaching.  It sounds like a very good report.

However, I also heard that your wrap-up on the story was " you can get a GPS unit for around $75... or you can get a life."  That seems like a particularly mean-spirited thing to say about the geocachers that gave their time to provide the story.

Maybe you didn't have anything else prepared.  Maybe you just didn't know what to say.  But how would you like it if you and your hobby were riduculed in that way.  (After all, don't most hobbies involve doing something that non-participants would think a little strange?)

I think you owe the subjects of the story an apology.

E-mail sent.

My email was as follows:

Mr. Turner,

My name is Mike Wunderlich.  I am the gentleman who assisted Glenn Zimmerman with the segment on Geocaching that aired on UPN 50 tonight.

I felt Glenn did a wonderful job portraying the exciting aspects of Geocaching and was very pleased I had the opportunity to work with UPN 50 on the piece.

That is, until the end.  Your careless editorial comment about being able to "...get a GPS for $75... Or you could get a life." were very offensive to me.  You insulted me personally, you insulted the Michigan Geocaching Organization, you insulted Glenn's work, all Geocachers watching and you insulted Oakland County Parks with that comment.  MiGO is well organized and boasts almost 900 members, all of whom will hear about your tactless comments and many of whom will respond with emails of the same vein.

After learning more about you and your efforts in the Christian sector, I am doubly disappointed at the comment.  I'm sure you take care and pain to share the message of "judge not" in your work and in your life.  I wish for that instant in time, you could have taken that lesson to heart and saved your editorial comments for a more appropriate time.  Like off the air.

Actions speak louder than words, they say.  Well this is the time to test that.  The only way you can make up for the sting of those words, in my mind, is by issuing an on-air apology and a written apology to myself, my organization, Glenn Zimmerman and the Oakland County Parks System.  If you care to discuss this further, my contact information is below and you can reach me via phone at XXX.XXX.XXX. 

If you're interested in sending an email in support of an apology from Mr. Turner (the anchor) to myself, Michigan Geocaching (I was represented as being a member in the segment), and cachers in general I'd appreciate your support.

No no no no ...you're doing this ALL wrong.

Forget the apology, his words are worthless.

Set up a night cache in his yard.

I remember that clown from when I used to live in Michigan. He seemed arrogant then, and this just confirms it. Oh, I sent him a letter alright. TEAM 360 style.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GAWD NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Say you didn't Jeff. Pleeeeease?

Sn :):D gans

While his comment was certainly out of line remember one rule.

Never pick a fight with someone that buys their ink by the gallon.

Ah, but I doubt if he uses ink....he may get his stuff from a tele-prompter. I sent my letter. :rolleyes:

"geocaching searching for buried treasure"

I watched the segment on MiGO site. It was really good piece, it's too bad it had to be spoiled by that idiot. He really ruined the whole thing for you and for the parks dept. I sent some emails out to all the addresses you had listed on your site. What is the name of the lady anchor who you can hear in the background laughing after he makes his "joke" I would like to send her a few emails too!

I really hope you can get some sort of resolution for this.

I watched the segment on MiGO site. It was really good piece, it's too bad it had to be spoiled by that idiot.

Is this segment available online? I'd like to see it, since I can't image he said it as blatently as posted. I'd like to see it myself.

Jamie

[edit] Doh. Nevermind.

Edited by Jamie Z
I can't image he said it as blatently as posted. I'd like to see it myself.

Good lord! That was worse than I thought. That laughing in the background is really asinine. Is this a professional news station?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Well, it took me a little while, but I sent 21 emails...1 to each address listed from all 7 of my accounts...with different signatures, of course......

Please tell me you didn't.

What kind of integrity are our emails emails going to have when most of them are fraudulent?

I hope you were only joking.

Jamie

I can't image he said it as blatently as posted. I'd like to see it myself.

Good lord! That was worse than I thought. That laughing in the background is really asinine. Is this a professional news station?

Jamie

Jamie...it's UPN, for God's sake....it may have reached all of 21 people, including the staff of 3 at the station..... B) ....it's not like they hire real journalists.....they probably found him on the corner holding a piece of rotting cardboard that said "Will do newscasts for food"..... :rolleyes:

Well here's a copy of my email, I've sent it to all three email addresses,

Sir re your insulting comment about Geocaching “Get a GPS for around $75 or get a life”. As a Geocacher from the UK, I personally and I know the Geocaching community are insulted by that comment. I have two teenage children, who are avid Geocachers, and are always pestering me as to when we’re next going out. How many other activities, involving physical activity, and which is done as a family group of all ages do you know which involves teenagers demanding to take part? When they are out with me, we have quality time together, and I know that they are not off some ware potentially getting in to trouble. My wife very rarely comes out with us due to ill health stopping her, but she is very proud of the fact that I and the kids have a activity that we are all eager to do together. Since you publicly insulted us, I expect a public apology to the Geocaching Community, and the member who took part in the segment on Geocaching.

Dave xxxxxx, North Wales, UK.

Wish I could see his face, receiving emails from the UK about his comment.

Dave

I don't think it's a bad idea to send emails from all your accounts sparky. They will never find out, and it will be great to show that there is a big voice from all of us. I just sent one as well. I also suggested that he could make an account here on Groundspeak, and post an apology to everyone. I told him it would be appreaciated greatly. I also told he was a [deleted by moderator]...

Just kidding. :rolleyes:

I did talk about Jesus though. Maybe that will appeal to him or something. Not being a christian myself, I have no idea. B)

Edited by Keystone Approver

Sent my e-mails. I would love to see this taken to the next level. I vote that we all e-mail the “Station manager” at our local UPN networks and inform them of the insult in Chicago, and add something to the effect of, “….I hope it is not common practice for all UPN networks to insult the subjects in the stories they cover ……” I bet this guy would **** his pants when the e-mails from sister stations start coming in to his boss.

I just got this email back. It's kind of creepy.

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting us. Our ministry is dependent upon your

prayers and support. We are anxious to be a blessing to you through any

avenue the Lord has made available to us.

At this time He has not given us the capability to personally respond

to every message, but we want you to know that your message has been

received, is being read and is very important to us.

If we can respond to your message, we will as soon as possible. Please

pray that the Lord will bless our ministry to be able to meet the

individual needs of all those He sends to us. Until then the best way for us

to make personal contact is at one of our meetings or engagements.

Please check our  schedule for an engagement near you and come worship with

us.

In the meantime our prayer is that the Lord will richly bless you!

In Christ,

Frank & Nicky Turner

Frank Turner Communications

www.frankturner.org

I like this part B)

At this time He has not given us the capability to personally respond

to every message

It seems HE does not work miracles in the e-mail department... :rolleyes:

Edited by SBPhishy

What I said:

Hello.

I have just viewed your segment on geocaching and am truly appalled at the level of disdain your anchors showed to this hobby. Not only was it crass and irresponsible of Mr. Turner to comment that you could "...get a GPS for $75 or you could get a life" but it was also ignorant of your other anchor to laugh at the comment.

I expect that a written apology will be issued by your station and Mr. Turner to Mike W. as well as to the Oakland County Park System who have wisely decided to work geocaching into part of their programs because of the benefits and family entertainment it brings to the parks.

Geocachers do not need to "get a life" as your station representative has incorrectly joshed. Their love of the outdoors spans beyond simply hunting caches to also cleaning up the parks as a part of their walks in and out of a cache site and to public education of wilderness survival techniques and team-building exercises.

As a geocacher, I am offended by the remark of your station's spokespeople. As a viewer, I am disgusted by the disdain of Mr. Turner towards another person's chosen outdoor hobby. As a consumer, I have the choice of not viewing your station's programming in the future if this is the way in which your anchors choose to operate.

Please bring your fullest attention to this problem immediately. This is not the first time Mr. Turner has appeared pompous on-air and unless he is forced to account for his actions, I do not believe it will be his last.

What they don't necessarily need to know:

I'm nowhere near Detroit and won't ever have to hear this windbag speak again. Baltimore (where I'm from originally) has a pretty pompous morning personality on WJZ 13 named Marty Bass. But even Marty recompenses occasionally when presented with evidence or enough viewer responses that show him what a rectal orifice he's being every now and then.

I have also sent e-mails to people at Viacom that I know.

For those of you not in the Detroit area, or that do not follow media happenings, back in 2002, Viacom/CBS Channel 7 started producing a 60-minute newscast at 10 p.m. weekdays and a 30-minute newscast on Saturday and Sunday for Viacom's UPN affiliate, WKBD-TV (Channel 50), using Channel 7 employees and resources.

This is for any of you that might be getting confused about the segment airing on UPN 50, but the contact information going to a CBS/Viacom station. I am just trying to “fill in the blanks”

you can also call action 7's Public Relations: 248-827-9307

Edited by Cherokeecacher

What a jack a**. And his co-workers laughing in the background to boot. Must have made the reporter who worked to put this story together feel real good about their hard work. I sent my e-mails.

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the reporter who put the story together. I think we should be writing them thanking them for all their hard work.

A probably more profitable manner to respond to this is to hit the station in the commercials.

Look for outdoors stores that advertise there. Arrange meetings or phone calls to the managers of the stores. Keep a copy of the video or the online feed on your server. When the meeting is held,show the video (UNEDITED) and inform them that MiGO and other outdoor groups will continue to buy GPS units (with their attendant 100% mark up), backpacks and camelbacks (with their attendant 400% markup), and outdoor clothing (with their 1000% markup), but will be hard pressed to buy from a store that feels it is good business to advertise on this type of station.

Chances are, the commercials are sold by the anchors or the station manager doing double duty as sales staff, or they are made by these stations to bring in extra revenue. One or two stores pull their ads, and a station like most UPN stations will feel it, and feel it quickly.

actually, that news comes from a local station WXYZ in detroit. it is one of the biggest, if not the biggest in the state. i didn't see the piece, and with dial-up i'm not going to download it. the guy and the rest of the reporters are well regarded here in michigan. they sure lost a lot of viewers here last night. i'm going to see if they show it at noon today.

I think bigredmed has the right answer, MiGO may want to think about meeting with the stores that advertise on that station who sell sporting goods and outdoor supplies, especially those who stock GPSes. Show them the broadcast as it aired ad ask them if they would contact the station. If I was paying for advertising time only to find out that a story that might help me sell some merchandise was belittled by an anchor I'd be pretty pissed. That would probably the sttion manager to sweat when those phone calls come in.

I hope MiGO has the time and resources to attempt this.

"geocaching searching for buried treasure"

I watched the segment on MiGO site. It was really good piece, it's too bad it had to be spoiled by that idiot. He really ruined the whole thing for you and for the parks dept.

I was a really good segment. I want to give Glenn Zimmerman a big hand for how he presented the activity and the time he spent on the piece. It was great.

The only two comments that made me cringe were made by the anchor. I feel bad for Glenn too. His great work is overshadowed by the ignorant comments of the anchor.

Seperate the segment from the anchor when watching is all I ask. Glenn's a great guy and a good reporter.

Really good segment on geocaching and I too enjoyed watching it. After watching the anchor's comments a few times, I do have to wonder if it was his own comments or perhaps that of the station/producers as it almost looks like he was reading it off of a teleprompter and started laughing as he was reading it. Regardless, I think his comment was uncalled for from a professional.

It would be good to here how this issue turns out and if anyone gets a reply from the anchor or the station.

I was a really good segment. I want to give Glenn Zimmerman a big hand for how he presented the activity and the time he spent on the piece. It was great.

The only two comments that made me cringe were made by the anchor. I feel bad for Glenn too. His great work is overshadowed by the ignorant comments of the anchor.

Seperate the segment from the anchor when watching is all I ask. Glenn's a great guy and a good reporter.

Yeah I agree, it appeared that he really enjoyed doing it, which made the piece even better to watch. Just too bad about Frank Turner.

Did you give the name of the female anchor laughing in the background? I want to write her as well.

Really good segment on geocaching and I too enjoyed watching it. After watching the anchor's comments a few times, I do have to wonder if it was his own comments or perhaps that of the station/producers as it almost looks like he was reading it off of a teleprompter and started laughing as he was reading it. Regardless, I think his comment was uncalled for from a professional.

It would be good to here how this issue turns out and if anyone gets a reply from the anchor or the station.

From my experience with television news programs through doing interviews and once having a friend in production, everything they say is scripted. Right down to the jokes and idle banter. Nw that may not be the case at that station but I have heard that from three stations in two states.

Here's my email, which I also CCed Glenn Zimmerman on, BTW:

Hi,

As an avid geocacher myself, I was excited to hear your station was airing a piece about our hobby. After viewing the well-done segment, I was shocked to hear anchorman Frank Turner’s closing remark, “Get a GPS, or get a life” followed by studio laughter.

Most geocachers own a GPS AND have a life. In the last week, the main website for geocaching, www.geocaching.com, recorded over 50,000 new cache logs. That’s a lot of people getting outdoors and getting a life.

For many of us, this is a family activity. It gives us a chance to spend time with our kids. Time that many other kids spend playing violent video games, watching TV, or getting into trouble.  You would think as a Christian, and a recovered drug addict, Frank Turner of all people would understand how important that time together is. Not only are we out “getting a life” on the weekends, but we are also helping our children get a life too.

Your station, and Frank Turner, both need to apologize for that remark. You need to apologize to Michigan Geocaching Organization (MiGO), to the hundreds of thousands of geocachers worldwide, and to your viewers. I also think Frank Turner should apologize to reporter Glen Zimmerman, for belittling Glenn’s excellent segment.

Well, it took me a little while, but I sent 21 emails...1 to each address listed from all 7 of my accounts...with different signatures, of course......

Please tell me you didn't.

What kind of integrity are our emails emails going to have when most of them are fraudulent?

I hope you were only joking.

Jamie

And how are they going to know they are fraudulent?

I, too, like Bigredmed's idea....hit where it hurts: in the pocket book. Find a list of their advertisers (just call the station, that information is public access). Look for any companies that are even remotely connected to the game, and send emails to them, as well. Anyone in the area have an 800 number I can call for the station? Or anyone in the area that can make the call themselves that isn't long-distance?

I, too, like Bigredmed's idea....hit where it hurts: in the pocket book. Find a list of their advertisers (just call the station, that information is public access). Look for any companies that are even remotely connected to the game, and send emails to them, as well. Anyone in the area have an 800 number I can call for the station? Or anyone in the area that can make the call themselves that isn't long-distance?

i am going to call today. i have so many rollover minutes accumulated it wont be a problem for me.

Anyone in the area have an 800 number I can call for the station? Or anyone in the area that can make the call themselves that isn't long-distance?

Telephone numbers:

Main switchboard: 248-827-7777

Newsroom: 248-827-9407

Toll-free line: 800-825-0770

Verizon Wireless airtime-free: #WXYZ

7 On Your Side Health Team: 248-827-9340

Public Relations: 248-827-9307

Programming: 248-827-9302

7 On Your Side Investigative Team: 248-827-9252

Call for Action: 248-827-3362

News questions and feedback: 248-827-4468

Television and website sales: 248-827-9205

Website technical questions: 248-827-4991

Website content questions: 248-827-9382, 248-827-9293

I, too, like Bigredmed's idea....hit where it hurts: in the pocket book. Find a list of their advertisers (just call the station, that information is public access). Look for any companies that are even remotely connected to the game, and send emails to them, as well.

Hey, the guy's comment was rude and condescending, but going after advertisers...gimme a break. It's not like he bared a breast or anything! :rolleyes:

Keep this in perspective. Express your disgust at what he said and hope for an apolpgy. If none is forthcoming, then move on. There is no need to get so defensive about it. We all know that as geocachers we have much more of a life than their thousands of viewers who spend all their time on the couch watching the tube.