Logging on th internet should be required!

Team Saprod

I visited a cache that should of had two TB's in it. But between the visit of the cacher who placed the TB and myself visiting the cache, 5 teams had hit that cache and not one of them has logged on the internet, only signed the log book at the site. They picked up the TB's but have never logged them "out" of that cache and added them to their own inventory. So, how do you contact a team that hasn't logged in to ask where the TB is. It's pretty frustating to watch a TB travel all the way from Germany and get lost because some jerk doesn't take the time to follow the game rules. I sure would like to contact that team and see if they still have the TB. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Team Saprod

I too share your frustration. I understand that sometimes it takes a while for some people to log what they have found. I know that there are some that are on vacation and that it will take maybe a week or two to log a TBs' activity. But it is VERY annoying to have a TB being held hostage at the whim of a local.

I would rather have a TB of mine sit for months in a cache, than have it sit in the hands of a on-again off-again cacher.

OG

Prophetically Challenged

Makes one wonder how many people actually log in the log book there as well.

You know they accessed the internet to get the location of the cache. It should be common courtesy to make a log online as well. I like reading the logs online, even for ones that I probably will never visit. I typed in the zipcode of where my parents live and I gre up and come to find out, there is a cache within a mile of their house. Read the log and saw someone on there asked about what something was, because they saw some old structure at the entrance of a newer park that the cache was in. It used to be an old NASCAR racetrack(Richard Petty once raced there) and a dragstrip as well. I never saw it active in my lifetime, but know of it and have seen more of it than what the cachers there are seeing today. It's funny that many people that live in that area never even knew that the park was there. I guess it was built probably in the last 5 years. (30815 area code - Hephzibah, Georgia - right outside Augusta)

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

Logging online is important. It's a courtesy to the owner to log your cache finds online. It lets them know that their cache is being found, what kind of shape its in and that their efforts are appreciated. It also lets the geocaching community know that the cache is still there,

But requiring online logs? How does one enforce that?

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

quote:
Originally posted by Caspian of CG:

If this is an ignorant question please forgive me: How do you access a list of players?

I am constantly learning new things about this site so if there is an easier way let me know. That being said, As far as I can tell you need to go to the "seek a cache" page and search for caches found and/or hidden by that user by using their user name. Once you have those you can find their log and look at their profile which also allows you to e-mail them. I suppose if they never logged a find or a hide then this will not work.

eBay uses a feedback system to rate buyers and sellers. Perhaps there could be a way for hiders to provide +/- feedback on finders who log the book and/or log/don't log online. You could also rate the quality of trades. Likewise, finders could rate the username of the cache hider based upon the quality of the cache. Each username on the GC website would have a score next to it, like "Team Saprod(9/9)" or "gilkman(7/9)" Which would mean gilkman has an average feedback rating of "7" for finds (dual logging and trade quality) and an average rating of "9" for quality of his own hidden caches.

Dudes/dudettes could then query for caches that have an average rating of 8 or higher, etc. People would be motivated to log, trade properly, and take care of their caches etc. Cachers seem to love high numbers (ie # of finds) - perhaps this characteristic could be exploited to improve the sport.

But perhaps that's to friggin' complicated the more I think about it...

gilkman

While I agree that people SHOULD log on the web, and I have several finders in my active caches that have not logged on the net, what can you do? Really, what can you do? In my case, they paid the park entrance fee and came out to see the park. Getting people to discover the Franklin Mountain State Park was the basis for my 3 caches, and 3 other cachers. No where else in El Paso can you hunt 6 caches in one spot. It would be one hard day, but it could be done.

I thought about ripping the pages of the log out. Who does that hurt? Contact them and request that they log it? What if they won't. Put on the cache page a statement?

"If you do not intend to log your find on the web, do not hunt this cache". What if they don't care?

Yes, it is downright unfriendly to not log it on the web. I wish they would. But what can you do?

In the end, I decided to forget it. Like my stolen cache, it wasn't worth getting upset about. I have enough to upset me without letting this get to me too. In fact, I wasn't going to add to this thread. But it upset me this morning. icon_biggrin.gif (not!)

If comeone comes up with a real and workable way to fix this, I am all for it.

Like ole Bart Simpson ysed to say, "Don't have a COW - MAN!"

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by gilkman:

eBay uses a feedback system to rate buyers and sellers. Perhaps there could be a way for hiders to provide +/- feedback on finders who log the book and/or log/don't log online. [...]

gilkman

A feedback system is appropriate for an auction site, so you can check sellers credibility before entering into a transaction with it - but what sense would it make here? Making caches available only to people with some minimum feedback? And I bet we would get a lot of complaint threads like 'I traded up and the owner gave me neutral feedback'... etc. etc.

Czech caching in US.

I really like the idea of a feedback system. I know which locals hide quality caches, trade kindly, and log their finds online, etc... BUT when I travel, it's tough to see who places the best caches.

As was mentioned above, many cachers are "numbers people". This would be a statistic that would benefit the whole geocaching community. Peer pressure would help to improve the community.

quote:
Originally posted by Haggaeus:

A feedback system is appropriate for an auction site, so you can check sellers credibility before entering into a transaction with it - but what sense would it make here? Czech caching in US.

If you think about it, every log entry is a form of feedback. Many of the posts on this forum are feedback about the quality of caches, behavior of cachers, quality of GPSrs, etc. I would assert that a main reason people are complaining about no-web-loggers is because we all "crave" to see the feedback about our created caches - we all love feedback!

When I search for a new cache to hunt, I am essentially "shopping" for one that looks good. I spend time reviewing online logs to assess how pleasureable the cache hunt will be based upon what I'm in the mood for. ll things being equal, I would rather hunt/find a well-maintained cache over a soggy overstuffed junkpile.

The terrain and difficulty ratings perform the same function that a "cacher quality" rating would have. Having additional information about the quality of the cacher via a simple rating number would provide another assessment factor for those that like to be choosy.

Of course, the ultimate "point" of all this is to improve the quality of caches and cacher behavior that everyone complains about so much.

gilkman

www.gilkeson.net/geocache

i'm with briansnat.

additionally, i welcome all visitors to my caches, regardless of how they log. i have one that gets visited much more often than gets logged online. when i want to see who came, i go read the log.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by gilkman:

When I search for a new cache to hunt, I am essentially "shopping" for one that looks good. I spend time reviewing online logs to assess how pleasureable the cache hunt will be based upon what I'm in the mood for. ll things being equal, I would rather hunt/find a well-maintained cache over a soggy overstuffed junkpile.

ok - this would be a reason for _cache_ rating system, which has been also discussed here (although I can't imagine how it could be done with uni-dimensional system). But _cacher_ rating would be somewhat overpolicing, especially when applied to cache finders.

Czech caching in US.

This thread has kinda gone in two directions:

First, I am against a ratings system; either of caches or cachers. Check the many threads on this topic for my reasoning.

Second, I do believe that everyone should log on-line. If you move a travel bug, I believe that it is an absolute responsibility. However, it has been said that geocaching.com is not geocaching. It is merely a search engine for caches. Geocaching, in its purest form (trying to avoid a locationless or virt debate) is getting coords, finding a cache, and logging in the log book, in my opinion. If someone doesn't log one of my caches on-line, it doesn't really affect me.